main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jack, FL WTH is up with JAX/OP theatres?

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by i12bob1, May 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i12bob1

i12bob1 Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2005
    Why is it every time I see a movie in Jacksonville or Orange Park, the sound cuts out, or the picture is bad, no matter which theatre I go to? On top of that, the patrons behave like Neanderthals! I went and saw EP-III at AMC Orange Park and was less than impressed by the fact that several times the Surround Sound cut out, as well as people kept getting up every 10 minutes to piss, banging the backs of the seats on their way out! Why is it only here, in Jacksonville/Orange Park, that you can't have a decent moviegoing experience?

The next time a big movie comes out, I'll wait for the DVD. At least I know I'll be able to actually ENJOY the movie!

P.S. I am thinking of starting a movement to educate theatres and people on the RIGHT way to behave at the theatre, as well as how to correctly present a movie. Anyone else with me?

EV Edit: Just so you know for future reference the letter F is not allowed in conjunction with WT as it is short for well you know what.

2. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I've never had a problem with the AMC at Orange Park. Sucks that you do.

3. jediadigallia

jediadigallia Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2004
    I can't say that I've had a problem with any of the theaters in Jax. I live in Fernandina and our theater here is no stranger to problems. As I was waiting in line to see the midnight show of ROTS, the "fans" at the front of the line were completely abnoxious. As the night wore on, their friends kept arriving and piling up at the front. Forget the fact that I and everyone else behind me had been there for several hours. When confronted, they said, "We've been here since 7AM!" WHERE? was the force hiding you? These were mostly teenagers and I think therein lies the problem. Granted, there are some true blue teen and younger SW fans that are very well behaved. Unfortunately, a few bad apples can always spoil the bunch. Thank goodness the movie theater manager stepped in and ejected most of the rowdy bunch and the remainder of the theater was quiet as church mice for the show.

4. Leia214

Leia214 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2004
    I was very happy with seeing the midnight show at Regency - in theatre 14 there was NO noise during the movie which was fantastic. I think there were so many diehards in there that we would have stomped on anyone causing a ruckus during the movie!!

5. Vossk

Vossk Jedi Youngling

May 10, 2005
    excuse me but i live in OP so you're pretty much insulting me. :mad: also this is a kid-friendly site so don't cuss. [face_shame_on_you] and i go to the theatre about every week and not once has the sound cut out or the picture had so much as a spot on it.there are ocassional bumps on the seat but since when have you been to a movie and not had an accidental kick on the seat.so excuse me if everything in the town doesn't meet up to your standerds,but this is my home so please dont insult me. :mad:

6. i12bob1

i12bob1 Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2005
    First, my apologies if I offended anyone. Second, sorry about the 'cussing'.

I've been reading about different experiences viewing Ep 3 across the nation and it seems like American theatre chains aren't cutting it when it comes to proper film presentation. Between bad sound, bad picture, and bad crowd management, it's a wonder the theatres are still in business. This is not only a problem with Episode 3 viewings. There are problems with most of the films presented in Jacksonville. Orange Park is less so, but it still has its share of issues.

I would like to take on an activist role in bringing these theatres up to par with moviegoers' expectations. For the ticket prices consumers pay, we ought to get our money's worth. Does anyone want to assist me or have any input as to how to improve theatre quality?

7. -Vossk-

-Vossk- Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2005
    if i had a problem there i would go and talk to the manager (duh) lol and tell him to watch some clips from the movies.once he sees that theres a problem with the sound/picture he will work on fixing it.there are some bad theatres in jacksonville but AMC 24 i nvr had probems with.appology accepted.

8. ladyvaderpl

ladyvaderpl Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    The only problem I ever have going to a movie are the parents the don't get a babysitter or thinks the movie is ok for a toddler. I went tonight 7pm at Regency and the kid behind me a few seats down kept kicking the seating in front of him. I find that very annoying and crying babies too.

9. i12bob1

i12bob1 Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2005
    My thoughts exactly. What needs to happen is that theatre chains need to be held accountable for the quality of the theatres they run. There is a big brouhaha about why Hollywood is losing money now. It's because people don;t want to go to the theatres anymore. It's easier to sit home and watch a DVD in surround sound than to go to the theatre and battle the crowds. If theatre chains can improve that experience, people will return to the theatres. I have addressed problems before with management, but most of the time it's a disgruntled, over-worked employee who doesn't have time to fix the problems.

Here are my three suggestions for improvement:

1. Convert to digital. While there is a significant initial up-front investment, in the long run, more films will be presented this way.
    2. Establish VIP rooms. In Mexico, for a little extra, you can go to a comfortable, non-crowded movie theatre and have a good moviegoing experience. Believe me, not having to deal with overcrowded auditoriums is a blessing.
    3. Stop selling noisy food. There is nothing worse than listening to someone crunch their popcorn in the quietest scene in the movie.

If those are not an option, then the theatres are an endangered species.

Just my opinion...

10. Leia214

Leia214 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2004
    Those are a lot of the reasons my husband and I DON'T go to the movies. We don't want to listen to someone's NEXTEL walkie-talkie phone call, or people talking to each other, or kids running back and forth out of the theater, or babies crying in an R-rated movie where they shouldn't be anyways.

So we only go for certain big events like EPIII. Otherwise we try to go to a matinee during the work week or wait till it comes out on DVD.

11. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    That and its really easy to download movies the day they come out. I know if I went overseas I could pick up ROTS on dvd as my friends mother in the reserves goes to Korea 2 years and always comes home with movies on dvd that are currently in theatres here stateside.

Also a lot of theatres are just plain crap. You should see the ones here in Gainesville they need a massive overhaul. The seats are old, the floor is always sticky, there isn't statdium seating. Almost everyone is at the same height so you're pretty much screwed wherever you sit. And there arn't even a ton of theatres here. I think it has 14 screens. Then there is an even worse one that has 8 screens, but thats it for the theatres in Gainesville AFIK.

And my friends think I'm insane to drive 1.5 hours to the movies for AMC in Orange Park. . . :p I probably am but I want a nice theatre dammit!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.