main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Pro Wrestling Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by wild_karrde, Jul 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
  2. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Wouldn't read too much into it.

Back in 2013, the Elimination Chamber advertisement had CM Punk as the champion still.

3. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
    Yeah, I don't think it's anything but a mistake. Still a horrifying thought to face.

4. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    It's going to happen eventually. He'll be a 20 or 30something-time champion when he retires.

5. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
    Which is sad.

I don't usually wish horrible things on people, but the best thing that can happen to the WWE is for Cena to get a career ending, but perfectly able to live with, injury. They have put so much into him that the next generation are having a tough time getting noticed because it's been nothing but Cena. If he's gone, we'll see so many of the "un-ambitious" as Vince views them as, shine bright and bold.

6. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    So far the claim is that Cena will be facing Rusev. So hopefully that's accurate.

7. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
    Since Rusev holds gold, and a belt that is probably viewed as below Cena, it may mean Cena putting him over.

Or I have become insanely optimistic.

V-2 likes this.
  8. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Bit harsh! I'd just send him to Japan for a few years.

I don't think I'd mind him so much if he wasn't WWE's answer to Poochie.

9. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
    Honestly, there was a time I liked Hulk Hogan John Cena. He started out as a heel, then went face and was entertaining, but grew stale over time as his started spouting the same tired gimmick of say your prayers and take your vitamins Hustle, Loyalty, Respect. Then the heel turn happened and he got interesting again.

All joking aside, I don't really hate Cena as much as most internet fans do. While he is guilty of the five moves of death, he performs and executes the moves and they look the same consistently. My biggest gripe is that he is shoved down our throats, and the spotlight is big enough for him to share. He also does have the potential to open up his move set a bit. He doesn't need to become a mat technician, but he has shown he can wrestle a good match when opening up his move set and it wouldn't hurt to have that go beyond the PPVs to a couple Raw/Smackdown matches.

10. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    I disagree about the consistency, even JR told him straight on his podcast that he's sloppy. He's also one of the worst for audibly calling the matches. If there's a 1dB drop in crowd noise or the commentators dry up for a few seconds you can hear him very clearly.

I don't hate him as vehemently as some, I mainly hate his omnipresence and his dumb costume.

11. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    I don't hate Cena either. In fact when he's not going for the title I don't mind him. He's a hard worker, crap wreslter, but hard worker and can put on a good match. But he's also full of @#$^, and there are plenty who will say he's as bad as Hogan was at keeping people down.

Basically Cena is the personification of what the WWE is today.

IT says a lot there your main face for you company is a dude who's gimmick is of a 90's white rapper.

burrisjedimaster1 likes this.
  12. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
    But if you look at his moves from match to match, they don't vary in how they look. His hip toss(while always awkward) holds the same, his variation of the Blue Thunder Bomb also looks the same match to match. His dropkick is terrible and he needs to not do that move anymore, but if you look at his style, who he is(not really a precision wrestler more of a raw power guy, though the precision can definitely be there) the sloppiness of his moves sort of fits the Cena style.

Yeah, hearing him call the moves is as clear as day. He has a very loud voice, it carries very far, and he is not soft spoken.

I wish Cena's gimmick was the 90's white rapper still, but now it's turned into a overgrown child with a Fred Flintstone's head. I mean, when you are feuding with JBL, or anybody for that matter, and your biggest insult is spray painting "JBL is poopy" on his limo, how do you expect anyone older that 9 to take him seriously? And that awkward Royal Rumble promo where he verbally assaults a little kid, essentially calls a woman a tramp, and then makes fun of a guy essentially calling him a unattractive loser, only to go on a spoil the Royal Rumble match itself.

And it's not like he can't be clever, he has been in the past. Even that famous night after Wrestlemania when the fans took over and were chanting "Sexual Chocolate" and his response was "Apparently these people want to have sex with chocolate!" I'll admit I laughed.

Also, those last two cited Cena moments, would be heel turns for most anyone else.

13. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Two words: The Nexus.

Cena ruined the hottest angle in years at SummerSlam 2010 because he wanted to look good. But, still, Hogan is the most political person ever in wrestling; Cena doesn't come close to him or even Shawn Michaels for that matter. But John has done his fair share of screwing people over, not just The Nexus.

The great sham is Cena is a very good work and technical wrestler. His matches against Shawn Michaels, CM Punk and Daniel Bryan dismiss that "you can't wrestle" chant. Problem for Cena is his character. Cartoon hero, gets beat down and somehow wins in the end. WWE doesn't alllow him to express himself. Still think the John Cena we saw go up against The Rock, especially those promos, was the Cena were all wanted to see - the guy would make an incredible heel.

14. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    I'll leave this here (WARNING: massive SWEARS)...

15. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010

I want to agree with you, but you named 3 guys who are known to help make people look better in the ring.

If you would have cited Edge, I would have been tipped my cap to your point though. ;)

He can hold his own against the pure wrestlers. He has clearly done that before, and he'll do it again.

I want to like John Cena, but I can only go so far defending him. I can say Cena>Hogan. His finisher is way less lame than Hogan's leg drop. I don't like the 5 Knuckle Shuffle because it's basically a c-rate, People's Elbow knock off. It's like everyone now has to have a off the rope running signature move.(another subject entirely)

But like you touched on, the cartoon character that is John Cena gets old. He is essentially what was wrestling pre-Attitude Era. A lot of people don't want to see that. Yeah, the kid demographic eat it up, but guys like Daniel Bryan also pull in the kid crowd, and he,to this point and while not an edgy character, is not a cheesy character. He's the underdog guy and he plays that well. Cena can't really be an underdog physically, he's clearly a strong guy. Make him an underdog on the emotional level, he would a great deal more likeable on a broader spectrum.

16. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    EVERYONE is supposed to make their opponents look better. And I for one would like to see things go back to pre-attitude era. I tuned out* when WCW got big and WWF turned to WWE.

*Though not having Sky made it pretty hard to 'tune in' in the first place... Nitro did turn up on terrestrial TV for a little bit, but it just looked like a huge pile of crap to me at the time.

Hey it's been a few days and I forgot to review TNA Turning Point for you lovely, massively interested people:

The first couple of matches were all right, then it just got dull. The empty arena wasn't very well covered up, everyone seemed massively hung over in their promos, TNA managed to fill time with 5 minutes of archive footage of the people featured in the next match, as if we don't know who these people are (or as if it's a real sport, I guess)...

The wrestling itself was adequate but not PPV level, it was shot/aired out of sync with continuity (FFS! TNA or Challenge TV or both of you, sort it out!) and the main event wasn't really a main event, just Jeff Hardy vs MVP in a match where both men were clearly taking it easy. The only good thing about these ONO PPVs is the commentary: Taz and Mike must realise absolutely nobody is watching or listening so they just get rude and play it for laughs. I wish they'd do that on Impact more...

I can't believe the ONOs have lasted this long. They can't make any money, even when they just use prerecorded house shows like this. The prerecorded stuff might work on VOD but ... I just don't get it being a going concern on PPV.

17. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Unless your name is Goldberg.

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
  19. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    He'll get a little pop, eliminate some comedy jobber, get eliminated by some midcarder, and it will all take about 2 minutes. It might be fun though. :)

20. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Sio no reaction for Macho Man finally going into the HOF?

21. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    It's a bit of a bad joke having Hogan induct/introduce(?) him. I think it would be less painful if Hogan was there as part of an ensemble... If you got all the surviving people he had great matches and feuds with it would make sense to include Hogan, it would even seem respectful that way. I'd like to see Honky, Flair and DDP up there with him at least (if not Bruno, George Steel, Steamboat... Possibly not Jeff Jarret).

I heard what Russo had to say but I'm not convinced it's an actual '**** you' from Vince, I hope it's happening this way more by accident than design.

22. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    I get tears everytime I watch the video. He's probably my favorite old school wrestler of all time. Steamboat should have inducted him. Hogan better not sugarcoat his speech, everyone knows Randy didn't like him. DDP has just as much reason to induct him as Hogan, better reasons even. Randy put DDP over big time, and their fued is legendary.

DDP may be a surprise entrant at the Rumble. Told him on twitter that he needs to enter as the WCW DDP, theme music and all. Love for him to come in at like 12, and then go on to be the final 4. DDP, Orton, Reigns, and Bryan. During this last bit, Orton trys to RKO him, and he turns it into a Diamond Cutter. Celebrates, and then gets thrown out by Bryan or Reigns. Think it would an epic little moment, and big enough to make up for the crap he got in his original run.

23. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
    I did react already. :p

Anyway, yeah, it should be Steamboat inducting him imo. I think he would be the best person to do it. Either that or Jake Roberts since from some of the stories I heard from Jake, the two of them liked playing jokes on the rest of the locker room.

24. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
    Sorry for the double post, but I saw Matt Jackson tweet about this. It's called #RAWlternative and it's an indy wrestling event going on right now.

I hope this continues, this is pretty cool, but so far it's just old indy matches.

25. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    That's why Hogan is doing it. Vince is getting the last laugh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.