main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Pro Wrestling Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by wild_karrde, Jul 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    [​IMG]

According to Lords Of Pain, they knew that there would be bad blood. Especially the day of the show, but...

http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/wwe...al_Rumble_Elimination_The_Rock_Not_Happy.html

Scroll down for a poster's reply.

There was a screw up. Titus was supposed to be eliminated in one second, like Santino, but due to a miscommunication, it was four seconds.

V-2 likes this.
  2. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    It's a lot of wrestlers ambition to start a riot so I expect a few of them were quite chuffed to be met by a (slightly) baying mob. ;)

I expect those fans were not trying to single out individual wrestlers so much as expressing their anger at the whole event. Writers are not well known faces, wrestlers are.

Everyone always says 'worst x ever' and threatens to cancel their subscription, but WWE is still here, still utterly dominant. Making the hardcore fans happy shouldn't be WWE's main business priority (same with any niche thing, Star Wars for example) but it does feel like fans have been deliberately antagonised for some time now... If the network un-subscribers number thousands it might make Vince pay attention, but I think it's more likely he and his writers will double down to force their square peg Reigns in the fans round holes, praying the strategy pays off.

I expect the Reigns/Lesnar match will be made a 3-or-4-or-more-way involving Bryan and probably Cena by the time WM rocks up, hopefully not involving Sting and HHH too. It's a shame the Survivor Series is so far away as a lot of the convoluted plots and recent unpopular booking decisions could thrive in the 5-a-side elimination format...

3. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    I work a double turn and have Rollins go face and Reigns go heel, and Triple H go face as a rebellious act against Vince to seize control of the company.

Basically have the next actual episode of Raw start with the Authority in the ring, start out with "blah, blah, blah, we're heels, blah, blah." Seth Rollins goes "I'm the future" same old stuff we've been hearing. Then Roman comes out and goes on about how he is the true future and more or less challenges Rollins as alpha. The crowd meanwhile is obviously against Reigns.

Then Vince comes out and starts his Vince talking thing, and says the wave of the future is in the ring. We are looking at the future of sports-entertainment. Two men guaranteed a future title shot, well, one of them is at least. We all think, hes stripping Reigns of the shot then swerve, attack on Rollins, and they take his money in the bank briefcase. Then Triple H declares it was "Best for Business"

Skip ahead to next week and Rollins is now the the scrappy underdog guy fighting those who have wronged him, and commits Owen Hart style attacks on the Reigns and the Authority. This leads up to the PPV where Rollins and Reigns square off in a match where Vince and Triple H look on at ringside. Vince interferes and Reigns wins.

Next night on Raw, we've reach our closing segment after we see the same old boring skits because that's what's going to make this particular moment great. After a show of The Authority and Vince mocking Rollins, Vince has booked a Vince vs Rollins match with Triple H as the special referee, if Rollins wins, he gets his Money in the Bank briefcase back. If he loses he's left with nothing but a bag of "what ifs?" The match is going to start, it looks bad. Seth goes in, knowing he's screwed but is going down swinging. They're having the stare down, Triple H starts laughing, Vince is now laughing, it doesn't look good. Triple H says ring the bell.

The bell rings.

Vince gets ready to squash Rollins

Low blow to Vince by Triple H, what just happened?!

Trips orders Rollins to cover Vince, he counts the three, Rollins is Mr. Money in the Bank again!!

Then Hunter gets a microphone. Vince is clawing up Triple H's leg crying out "Why?"

Triple starts what will be a legendary promo. "I started out in this company, two decades ago. Two decades ago, I came in, a fresh young talent with all the potential in the world. Good looking, talented, charismatic....and you buried me! You overlooked me, you toon your sweet tine noticing me, and why? Because I wasn't a 'big guy.' Because I wasn't that big guy you loved to put up to the big time. No, I wasn't big enough, and when the Madison Square Garden incident happened I was the one who had to pay. Why, Vince? Because wasn't big enough. I wasn't good enough? I was good enough. But I went the way of the current and made myself a big guy. Made myself what you wanted, but why should have I had to have done that? Guys like Shawn, like Bret, Like Daniel Bryan, Like Seth......like I was, we were always good enough, we will always be good enough. I sat around waiting for the opportunity to have my revenge.....and I have it. This is my company now....and that's what's best for business..."

Then he punches him in the face and we all mark out.

That's how I would do it anyway.(I think I have way too much free time on my hands)

Also, I love how Raw is going to replay the Royal Rumble match and the title match tonight, because we're pissed and want to be reminded of it. I get the gesture of "Here's a free PPV match since we have no real show to give you," but it's a slap in the face, I think.

burrisjedimaster1 and V-2 like this.
  4. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    They'll stick with the main event this year I think. They seem to be going with the story of the new guy vs the beast like vet. Does depend on how the reaction is going forward, but all they have to do there is turn Lesnar face. Lesnar is already getting respected by fans for just being a killing machine. Doesn't really matter if he's a nice guy or not in his situation.

Big question is what are they going to do with Bryan? Rumor of him vs Ziggler. Which would definitly be a show stealer, but he's a top guy in most eyes and shouldn't be going on 5th at Wrestlemania.

5. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Watched some Lucha Underground on YT. Liked what I saw. Nice production values. Accessible.

Watching it made me realise that we actually have 5 wrestling promotions on TV now. Those being WWE, TNA, ROH, LU, and NJPW. With GFW possibly to come sooner or later. Kinda cool to think about. For the most part it likes trying to catch your local Wrestling show back in the day, and not all the channels are on everyone provider, but still, 5 Wrestling shows on TV. It's like almost a rebirth of the territories.

How easy it would be for just one of them to do something that catches people's attention. None of them ever have to be as big as WWE. Who cares. True wrestling has always been it's own art form with it's own crowd. Not that it can be big time, as we saw with the Race or Flair days of NWA.

It's kinda like comic books. WWE is like if Disney owned both DC and Marvel. NJPW is Image. LU and ROH are IDW and DH. TNA is Boom.

jedimika likes this.
  6. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
  7. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Hmm^

It would be good if he's actually joining full time, I didn't read the full article as I don't want the Grado match too spoiled...

Ordinarily I'd expect it to be a one off because it's a big name local star who happens to be in town during the tour, they always bring in local talent when they go overseas. But Drew was interviewed on WTTV recently and it started by him thanking WTTV for letting him sleep off his jetlag upstairs... That suggests it could have been a work to excuse his massive hangover/comedown, or he flew in from the US just to appear in Glasgow for TNA. Fingers crossed he's got a lengthy contract!

8. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
    It appears he has signed a full time deal. I guess this means either he's on good terms with his ex-wife or they told them to behave because they are stuck working together now like it or not. I'm guessing the first one.

9. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Nice that makes, what, five British wrestlers in TNA now? Shame none of them are Dave Mastiff, but still. :)

10. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    The big RAW announcement is likely a Number One Contenders match between Roman Reigns and Daniel Bryan.

11. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
    Looking over the Ziggler/Bryan match, if it does happen, it has the potential to be on the level of a Macho Man vs Steamboat. Wish it would lead to them getting the top spots in the company.

http://wrestlingnews.co/roman-reign...an-criticism-and-says-hes-a-guy-getting-rich/

"The majority of critics, I would say, are people who have no clue what they’re talking about and have never been in a wrestling ring. They’ve never been a public speaker. They wouldn’t even know how to lock up with me if I allowed them to. If I gave them the opportunity to lock up and tangle with me in the ring, they would have no clue what to do so for them to critique or ever say anything about any performer is asinine and just blows my mind.”

Seriously, why can't this be Roman Reigns with a microphone in his hand? If he could be allowed to say stuff like this, he could be a decent character. Let this guy try writing his own promos. Still needs in ring work, but at least make him interesting on the mic. Make him a heel so he can win matches as a heel, in the meantime have him work on his work behind the scenes.

12. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    I think Brock could make Roman look fantastic in the right match, as long as he doesn't concuss him too early on, and there aren't any daft Authority shenanigans... How long is the MitB valid for?

13. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
    1 year from the time you win it, so Rollins has until next MitB PPV to cash in.

14. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    I doubt it. This is HHH, he loves to @#$% with the fans. They obviously know what people want, and will swerve it in the end to get heel heat. Not realising the Authority getting heel heat does nothing for Reigns, and just makes things worse for him.

burrisjedimaster1 likes this.
  15. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
    Yeah, I don't know if they'll go for pulling Reigns out of the main event picture. I think there is a better chance of a MitB cash in or a Lesnar contract extension than Reigns actually being pulled from the main event.

Looking at this from a business/writing perspective, it is all around poorly executed. I get they want Reigns to be the star of tomorrow and it's meant to look like the reaching of the pinnacle moment the Royal Rumble winner should represent at times, like a Shawn Micheals, but really it's not working. Just in terms of momentum Reigns had none. He even hasn't really separated himself from The Shield, he has the same entrance, same attire, and same entrance theme. I mean look at Ambrose and Rollins, they've established their own thing, where Reigns seems like he can't move past the first chapter of his career. Instead of having be his own character he just seems like nobody has informed him The Shield has broken up and the others have moved on.

Unrelated, but I got a good chuckle out of this.

It's even funnier because the Brodus Clay Funkasaurus gimmick is what he used on the indies before the TNA signing.

burrisjedimaster1 and V-2 like this.
  16. burrisjedimaster1

burrisjedimaster1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    LOL ...Funk is on A Roll, Good for you Brodus. I for one have always hated the dance gimmick except for the Disco Inferno!

17. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
  18. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Impact review:
    Things are very much plodding along. The Manhattan Center is getting darker every week, and the crowd gets quieter... Please do live shows, TNA.

A decent if not exactly breathtaking women's 3-way, yet another Abyss monster's ball, a lot of jabbering and an okay 4-way main event... I don't like EY's turn, the fact that everyone keeps pointing out how it doesn't make sense isn't helping. Magnus and Bram had a completely pointless bar fight, Bram winning via ...golf ball? It's early days and next week seems set up to be something of a chapter end point, so I'll hold off from unleashing too much criticism right now. Suffice to say the big changes Dixie promised in that JR interview don't seem to have arrived.

Also 'Mandrews'? That's actually his official TNA name? :_|

Since there was no Raw to speak of, enjoy this rare
    Smackdown Review:
    Meh. It just goes to show you can have a venue 4 times the size of TNA, feed them Daniel Bryan and still have a dead crowd. That was a tedious match, the highlight of the show, too. I honestly can't remember any of the other matches, I think there was an Usos or Dust Brothers match, probably Usos vs Dust Brothers again. Skipped that ****.

19. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
  20. burrisjedimaster1

burrisjedimaster1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2002
  21. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
    I liked the podcast. It was enjoyable, and while there were times where I was going "bull%#&@" to Triple H, he gave a pretty in depth analysis of how things work. I also like how he pointed out in so many words that if we want sports entertainment that is WWE, if we want wrestling that's NXT. Also cool to hear that he said NXT stars have to do their own promos and get no writers. The obvious could be stated there.

Listening to him made re-affirm something to me that I heard someone else say(and I'm paraphrasing it a bit to fit me)...

Wrestling hasn't changed, we have. It's the same product it's always been. We just grew up and forgot to do it mentally. It went from being a little kid and following the stories on t.v. to growing up and following the stories in the back. "Oh, did you hear Daniel Bryan's mad at Triple H because he stopped the match, it was a count out and it wasn't supposed to be!" I mean I grew up loving New Generation and Attitude Era, I feel those are in my opinion the best times, but by no means does that make it so. The product is still more or less the same, just different characters.So what, Roman Reigns won the Rumble, it's not the end of the world, more stories are going to happen, it's not like that's end.

That ends my rant :p

That's going to be what it is, it will just go in cycles as to whether group x, y, or Z will like it better. We have alternatives, WWE even gives us a great alternative themselves. Every place has different styles and all are enjoyable, just not necessarily to everyone, but we have other things we can turn to. I like NXT and going to indie shows. I may never go to a live WWE event unless I somehow got tickets for Wrestlemania or maybe NXT, but that's personal preference, I think I would enjoy a WWE event way less than an indie show.

I'm still going to watch the product though, and I am still going to have opinions either positive or negative.

22. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    HHH managed to talk for so long and on so many tangents that Austin didn't get much of a chance to ask many questions, that was clever (even if what he was saying mostly wasn't - "like the Terminator ... he's born before he dies" - what?). It was interesting to see how much about the writing and the perception of the product he seemed to get, which is a lot more than I expected. He seemed more switched on than VM, and it was interesting to watch him pin so much criticism on Vince, too. He explained how hard it is to write WWE and demonstrated how meta it all is - working the working of the work and all that, but how much of that explanation was a work itself? Wouldn't he want us to think that they're deliberately antagonising the critics and not just ****ing up?

I still hate his Authority gimmick and the tectonic pace of his promos, but I have a bit more respect for him now. I never understood the perceived wisdom that he's not a great worker, or doesn't know how to work the crowd.

23. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    "Brass Ring Club"?

[​IMG]

I'm so getting that t-shirt

24. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
    From what I can find it was a fan made parody shirt. Unless WWE buys the rights to it, you'll probably only be able to find it on one of those custom shirt sites.

25. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    There are some high res pictures of the design on google image search, submit one of them to your local t-shirt printer, hey presto.

26. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
    Yeah, that might work equally as well, and probably way cheaper :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.