main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Pro Wrestling Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by wild_karrde, Jul 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Vince Russo has been making a lot of sense for a while.

From last year, he talked about WWE really needs Jim Ross to help 'sell' the match. The current commentary team rarely talk about what's happening in the ring; they don't even mention the names of moves and submissions anymore.

Did you see the tweets from the ex-writer? he disclosed that morale is an all time low in the offices and some people don't even bother turning up to work any more. If true, that's very, very bad. A senior WWE producer (usually means Kevin Dunn) wanted Roman Reigns to go heel - parts of the crowd just couldn't be won over; but, Vince being Vince, said no and is sticking to ultra babyface approach.

IMHO Stephanie is the only one who can 'save' the company from Vince. She has to more or less convince her father to stand down and let her take control. Her 'Divas revolution' is only failing because Vince micro-manages everything.

2. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Russo says some other convincing things as well. Like the show being written week to week, and paying attention to the ratings to see what people are responding to. Another great point is why have Lesnar and Taker on the show, to big characters to watch, only to have them appear in one segment and then leave? The person watching gets his lesnar fix and then changes the channel, when you could put him in match or have him part of a storyline for that specific show. Another good one was having the show structured in segments. Basically each segment being it's only mini TV-show. IF you watch the Attitude era Raws this is how it was done, with a main over arching storyline throughout the show, which obviously at the time involved Austin and Vince, or Rock and Mankind.

Basically each match having a story line of some kind is both good and bad. It allowed for everyone to be involved in an angle and get TV time, but Seeing also why the matches were so short and ended in a mostly convoluted story segment. Probably mostly resulting in a DQ. Worked fine during the Attitude Era. Didn't work in WCW or TNA. Again, granted that was Russo with out people over his back keeping his **** straight. I understand where Russo is coming from, and I see his point in writing Raw as a TV SHOW instead of a Wrestling show. However with 3 hours I can't see why we can't have the best of both words if there was a booker to pull it off, like Heyman for instance(though he doesn't what do book anymore, or at least says he doesn't). In fact you could say Heyman did just that with his year as booker on Smackdown. Let me add that having the segment concept also reduced commercial breaks during matches, and again he made a good point about that. If you have constant commercial breaks the viewer could easily change the channel and end up sticking with what he changed it to instead of flipping back.

Still I can easily bring up WCW Nitro which was a presented as a live sports broadcast, a pure Wrestling show if you will, and was a high ratings maker up until late 99. It wasn't built around the "tv show," concept.

IT's hard to really choose what is necessary at this point for RAW.

Anyway I got a laugh out of this. I think the overly politically correct kinda didn't do themselves any favors when they attacked Jim Cornette for a promo he did 30 years ago.

So basically these people getting mad about this pretty much proves Jim did his job perfectly as to get heel heat for a promo he did 30 years later.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    So WWE defined 'Jobber' in response to the concussion lawsuits:

[​IMG]

4. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    yeah that's true darthmane2. i remember back then HBK, Austin, when the Attitude Era was starting they weren't on the whole show, and they didn't wrestle every week, but there was build up for when they'd get there, and that would also give the undercard time on the show.
    if you ever see interview's with Jericho, HBK and even Scott Hall those guys really know how to book wrestling. i would have thought HHH would have more sense, but he seems to be another vince, just pushing guys 'with the right look '
    it's too bad they wouldn't let those guys book RAW for a few months and see the difference.

5. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    Triple H isn't the one booking Raw/Smackdown though, he's just playing the character, it's still Vince. Hunter books NXT and look at how much better that show is. And look at the past champions there, Balor, Owens, Zayn, Neville, Dallas, Big E, and Rollins. That's kind of the mold being broken with every new champion.

6. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    but they've got writers too right? the guys today are even being told what to say. sometimes you can see the wheels in Reigns turning as he tries to remember his two lines

7. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
    I don't think they are given as strict a script down there as on the main roster. There seems to be a bit more freedom.

8. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    seems like it

9. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    NXT is not scripted. The main roster is. Only backstage promos, especially for WWE.com, are not. Only certain guys (Cena, Orton, Rollins, Ambrose, Wyatt and Paul Heymen) are allowed to go off script.

The other problem is RAW being way too long. Its why we keep seeing the same random matches over and over; too much TV To fill.

10. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
    Yeah, if only WWE would do something special with that extra hour...like highlight a certain aspect of their product. Wonder if they have something that could be utilized like that......

11. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    They could do something special by getting rid of it and dropping back to two hours.

12. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    sorry for double posting, but I need a moment...

They've released Brad Maddox?!?!?!

[​IMG]

13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Because they more or less weren't using him?

14. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    apparently he was fired for using the word 'prick' in a promo

but he was still my hero :(

15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  16. s_heffley

s_heffley Chosen One star 7

Jun 7, 2015
    Hi, I recently got back into WWE and have some questions you all may be able to answer for me.

1: I've heard Brock Lesnar can actually fight in the UFC. Why choose to be on WWE?
    2: Doesn't Kane wear his mask because in the story his face was burned? In that case, why does he sometimes remove his mask?

17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    1.Money
    2. WWE doesn't even know why he sometimes removes his mask anymore.

s_heffley likes this.
  18. s_heffley

Jun 7, 2015

Kinda sad Brock Lesnar did all that training just to do fake wrestling, though :(

WWE really needs more continuity with Kane's story, then.

19. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003

He was apart of the UFC from 2008 to 2011, became heavyweight champ, and was the companies biggest draw when he was there. Lesnar suffers from diverticulitis, and that pretty much cut his UFC career short. He came back to WWE because it's easy money and he has a very limited schedule. If fact he just renewed his contract this year for further 3 years.

Lesnar is pretty much WWE's main attraction anytime he's there. IT took a while for him to get over with fans given his limited schedule, but ending the Undertaker streak, killing Cena, and probably being the most legit champ the company has had in years, made him a big fan favorite. Of course his biggest drawing point is that he has Paul Heyman as his mouth piece.

EDIT: IF you have the network, check out his match with Cena at Summerslam 2014. You'll understand what i mean by Lesnar killing him. Hell, there are probably clips on Youtube.

Juliet316 and s_heffley like this.
  20. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003

Nothing save for Punks pipe bomb promo made me smile more. Video is only decent quality given that the match is owned by WWE, and the video is edited as to be acceptable to stay on Youtube.

Match highlights if the above vid gets to confusing.

EDIT: I had forgotten all about the kid who kept yelling "LETS GO CENA." Poor child. :D

s_heffley likes this.
  21. s_heffley

Jun 7, 2015
    I don't have the network. I've been wanting to get it though. I like Lesnar a lot (hate Paul Heyman, though), except when he faces the Undertaker. Too bad he had to end the streak. I was hoping Undertaker would retire before his streak ended.

Edit: That video is a bit hard to follow. They edited it a lot to avoid copyright.

22. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003

I added the highlight vid to make it easier. Didn't need to watch the entire match anyway. Like I said Cena was pretty much murdered. Highlight vid covers all the main points.

s_heffley likes this.
  23. s_heffley

Jun 7, 2015
    Oh wow Cena got destroyed. Also I love the music for the highlight video. Not like it matters but still.

24. JediMaster1511

Jul 15, 2010
    No, they can just dedicate the hour to the Women's Division, give them respectable matches and storylines since they have the talent and cast of characters to work with.

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    The wrestling is more fixed than fake, especially in Lesnar's case. ;) His pro work in Japan is well worth youtubing. They knock the crap out of each other over there.

If he'd not got ill and had the chance to stay in UFC he might be burned out by now... WWE are paying him more than UFC offered, so this is realistically the best outcome for him.

s_heffley likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.