main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Pro Wrestling Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by wild_karrde, Jul 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Punk said he's open to going back to Wrestling, but he'd probably only wrestle for NJPW.

The possibilities....

Need help with my own bit of fan faction continuing my round robin NXT cup tournament. Got block A figured out booking wise. Point wise it's like NJPW, 2 for a victory, 1 for a loss, 0 for a draw.

Nakamura: 2,2,1,0,2.-7 Losing to Almas, and going to a draw with Gargano
    Almas: 1,1,2,2,2-8
    Gargano: 2,2,2,0,1-7
    Roode: 2,1,2,2,1-8
    No Way: 1,2,1,1,1-6
    AOP(1 member): 1,2,1,1,2-7

With Nakamura and Gargano taking each other out, that leaves Almas vs Roode as the A Block final. Almas beats Roode, with the tie breaker meaning Almas wins even though both have 8 points.

Block B is tricky: been trying to come up with the best booking options. Joe is the winner, but I don't want him to win in a final. He wins because some else loses, in my mind Itami. At the same time I want big wins for Ciampa and Aries. With Ciampa being the one who spoils Itami's chances of winning because of points.

B block contenders:
    Joe
    Itami
    Ciampa
    Dash or Dawson
    Aries
    Dillinger.

2. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Fantasy booking without Yomamba just feels wrong, sorry.

3. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Wasn't far off. Picked the right winner. Predicted the reason he would win. Predicted the upset.

Did not predict Metalik beating Sabre though. Which was cool. I thought Metalik was probably the second best performer in the tournament behind Ibushi.

and as some others predicted HHH did indeed introduce the CW Title, and TJ is now our first CW champion.

Matches were good. None of them reached Ciampa vs Gargano, Metalik vs Akira, or Ibushi vs Alexander/Kendrick, level. Though I'd say they came close. I really enjoyed the tournament.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the stupid girl interviewer. Apparently she didn't understand that the translator doesn't just translate English to Spanish, but also Spanish to English.

Good thing Metalik didn't win, we'd have never understood his Victory speech.

4. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    That belt is god awful. It reminds me of something from a small indie promotion. However, I hope the WWE put long term effort into the cruiserweights and don't bury the division after five minutes.

As for Punk returning to wrestling, possibly NJPW, I'm not sure. I can see him returning to RoH and, shock horror, WWE (even though they don't need him)

5. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Belt looks like a generic toy belt you'd buy at a dollar store, but so do the tag titles.

Really going to be interesting to see how this division is booked. I was open to these guys facing other stars outside the division, but I'm kinda against that now. I think it should be it's own thing. Is it going to get the first hour of Raw? Will it be booked as a sports competition? How will having one part of the show be about winning and losing fit with a variety/cartoon show the rest of the time?

6. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    If Vince gives them storylines and 'characters', then the whole thing will be a car crash waiting to happen.

Did you hear about the WWE considering reuniting The Shield at Survivor Series or Royal Rumble? Don't know what to make of it. Seems too early to bring them back.

7. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Didn't they already pointlessly reunite them a few months back? Rollins is the only one worth watching of the three anyway.

Was just listening to MLW and one of the hosts asked if anyone else thought Ambrose was getting worse over time! I don't pay weekly attention as I'm not paid to, but from what I see he's improving. Maybe his shortcomings were just massively highlighted in his championship run?

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    This was last year, before Rollins injury and not long after he had become the World Heavyweight Champion.

9. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Suppose, but it just seems another method to get Roman over. Which, no doubt, won't work.

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Too early, especially seeing as Ambrose just turned at the very least 'tweener on Cena at the end of Smackdown.

I would say more closer to Royal Rumble/WrestleMania, when the match between Hunter/Seth happens.

11. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    happy for tj perkins tna treated him like **** and he never complained or buried them. logical winner since ibushi won't sign a deal and sabre jr is still doing the indy scene. also helps with the introduction to raw since metalik can't speak english that well.

punk ***** on the wwe yet with out them no one gives a **** about him he got known for being in wwe. yeah he had a following on the indys but that doesn't transition to ufc or mainstream

kind of funny how former tna wrestlers hold so many titles in the wwe at the moment aj styles(wwe champ) tj perkins(cruiserweight champ) xavier woods(tag team champion) then until recently joe was the nxt champ.

12. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Don't know about that. There was a lot interest in Punk in UFC, and we'll have to see the buys to know for sure. That being said if he doesn't go back to Wrestling and wants to continue fighting, Bellator will sign him in a second. I wouldn't say Punk is nothing with out WWE, you have to be under the impression that Punk cares(which he doesn't) about if he's a big somebody or not. He does things because he likes to do them.

and Punk would no doubt be booked well in Japan or ROH, both of which would give him good money. Not big money, but good money.

Anyway, NXT tapings are running an Angle.....

with Nakamura that has him being out for, "Possibly," 6 to 12 weeks. Which means he could have to vacate the title. Now it's probaby nothing, and he'll probably come back during the next set of tapings. That being said, just to throw it out there, you have to wonder if the other possibility is that this is a ploy to get him on the main roster faster.

13. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
  14. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    James Storm has tweeted he's a free agent again. Maybe he goes back to NXT, but his time and (pardon the pun) impact in TNA was long overdue for a finish. Neither needs to other at this point and it's best to part ways.

15. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    think meltzer said its a storyline work. but he must be regretting going back to tna. he was treated like a big star in nxt when he showed up gives him new feuds or they could do the whole beer money thing again and face the revival

16. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    The problem with Beer Money was Roode not wanting to do it, or so I understand. Storm seemed happy in that role but Roode has said it was a backwards step for him.

Storm does get some star treatment in TNA since he came back, but since Roode split he's been a bit of a fifth wheel. TNA get some value from him as a solo, they get to have the Longnecks & Rednecks singalong, the boozer cruiser cam, and he's a popular guy. He obviously gets/got more money than NXT were offering (if there even was an offer).

I hope it's a work. I never liked Cawbah Germs Sturm before he left TNA, went to NXT and came back 20 years younger. I still get fatigued by him on the mic but his ring work is very good. He has a bit of a micro-feud with Ely Drake, plus beef with Lashley, Spud, and a few other characters, ISTR him making noises about forming a new tag team too, but there's not very much for him to do right now... It's a tricky position for him to be in. I can't see a Drake feud being much more than comic relief, but a feud with management could go somewhere, so I hope it's that.

I wouldn't blame him if he wanted to stretch his wings again. Ideally he could work a quarter schedule for TNA and have most of the year free to work Japan. Or ideally for him he could go straight to WWE. ;)

17. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  18. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Guess biggest news of the day is TNA's possible sale. WWE has put in a bid, Sinclair(which also has ROH) has put in a bid, as well as Corgan. Who I hope gets it. He has a good mind, and even if TNA isn't the beacon of hope it was for Wrestling as it was in it's first 3 years, I'd still like to have more Wrestling that isn't owned by Vince.

Make no mistake, that I'd fully expect TNA to be shut down, and WWE only wanting it for the Library. Given the stars it has now, WWE could make money off the content.

I doubt WWE is hung up on really wanting TNA.

19. WookatMe

WookatMe Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2010
    I was about to buy tickets for an NXT house show on the 30th here in Orlando for my son and I. It would have been his first wrestling show. But it sold out today :-(. Hopefully it won't be too long until the next one.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

20. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    I don't know much about Aroluxe but if the Harris twins have much of a say in it I'd hope they'd be reluctant to sell to the WWE vultures. Keeping it as a going concern would be best for the industry, and it would make sense for them to keep their own production company employed with regular work. Hopefully VKM's disinterest with TNA will lead to him making a low offer anyway.

Sinclair is a big unknown, it's not obvious what they'd do with it. I can't see them putting any money into it in any scenario; production values are not their thing. There's always the tantalising idea of RoH and TNA forming some new federation, or at least recognising each other's titles. But I really don't want TNA to look or sound like RoH.

Corgan would be the best fit, he's got the ego, the money, and he's already knee deep. He says he'd be the sole investor (contrary to the WON report), and he seems most likely to make an offer closest to Dixie's $4m asking price - he seems the most likely to attach money to sentimental value, and he's a rock star superfan rather than a cold hearted competitor. Plus he's most likely to agree to let her keep some sort of TV role, which is said to have been a deal-breaker in previous negotiations with investors.

There'd be a kind of poetic continuity of ownership from Dixie to Corgan too...

I'm cautiously optimistic that TNA will continue. The sheets predict its imminent demise all the time, yet it goes on and on. Here's hoping the rule holds true again this time.

21. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

There is only one great match and that's the 5* triple threat back in 2006. It's trash after that.

22. JediMaster1511

JediMaster1511 Jedi Grand Master star 10

Jul 15, 2010
    My question is, say hypothetically speaking WWE does end up purchasing TNA, would they actually be willing to keep all the talent and history, re-brand it(calling it TNA was Vince Russo's idea anyway, that alone should be reason enough to re-brand it), and make it a developmental territory? TNA has the arguably hottest storyline and one of the world's most over stars in the world with Broken Matt Hardy. There is a ton of talent there and potential for future and current stars, and we see how well NXT is doing as a developmental/separate brand. I don't think it would be crazy to let TNA be TNA more or less, and have it be a second developmental brand. Sports franchises have multiple minor league teams and affiliates, why not do it the same way?

Anyone who is doesn't want to stay can go to RoH or NJPW, or this could be that spot that Jarrett has been looking for to really get GFW going fast.....okay, maybe not that far, but there are organizations that can step into the role TNA has now and theoretically run with it...it's a long shot, but anything's possible.

Of course, all hypothetically speaking.

23. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    TNA are still signing people, so it looks like business as usual. A new woman (Laurel Van Ness/Chelsea Green) turned up for the most recent episode, and Cody and Brandi Rhodes are rumoured to have signed too.

WWE would not keep the lights on at TNA, all they'd want is the library and the copyrights. And despite DanielUKIP's uninformed and trollish comments, there are plenty of better-than-WWE matches held every week in TNA. He'd have to watch and not just take DM's word to understand that, but I'm not convinced that understanding is a biological possibility with DanielUKIP.

24. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    End the personal attacks.

Disagrees with you does not equal trolling.

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

After what happened with WCW, probably not. As Mane noted, the library would be valuable for Vince as he can make money off the TNA guys who came over to WWE and put out new Blu-Rays with the TNA matches for Sting, the Dudleyz and the rest who went over there for a time. And with NXT being it's own spinoff brand on the network, I don't believe there's a need to make another one. TNA has had some success, but it isn't as big as WCW had been. He only did the WCW angle and attempted to get it on the air again, in order to capitalize off of that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.