main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [The X-Files] The (Continuing) Event Series!

Discussion in 'Community' started by jp-30, Oct 12, 2013.

1. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    I don't ascribe to the notion that Chris Carter has always been the worst writer for The X-Files. During its initial run, his episodes were some of the best. Especially the Mytharc. But it seems that time, and a lack of a writers room, has dulled his skills.

jp-30 and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Maybe I need to re-watch more closely, but I didn't really get the final episode. Why bring back the Smoking Man? He seemed to do little besides strut, glower, and act generically villainous. I lost any sense that his actions had any particular purpose to them, and by the end it may as well have been Dr. Evil up there snarling. I did appreciate the one episode about the psychic children, as that seemed an interesting application of their concept (particularly the meetings with the former mothers). On the whole, though? The new conspiracy plot still never came together very well for me, and I don't feel like it ever connected well to any of what came before. Sometimes, I got flashes of a show I used to love in a fun, updated context. On the whole, though, this seemed a little too sloppy and underwhelming.

TX-20 likes this.
  3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I enjoyed the finale- better than the companion premiere episode since this seemed less convoluted. It did seem to actually give answers without taking them back immediately as well.

Overall I thought this event series was pretty successful. A rocky premiere, a good finale, a great comedic episode, two pretty decent monster of the week episodes and one truly awful episode (the terrorist one) is an acceptable balance.

More than anything it leaves me motivated to rewatching the original seasons at some point, particularly the latter half I mostly missed out on.

In the end it reminded me of how much I used to enjoy the paranormal as a kid, which was a fun dose of nostalgia.

cubman987 and jp-30 like this.
  4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    That was pretty much the point. It's hinted at more strongly here that everything that happened in season six to the Syndicate and why he was almost terminated in "The End" is because he had his own ideas for what should happen with the plan. That he believed in it, but that it should go a slightly different tangent. That and it makes him even more slimy that he can cheat death like that.

5. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Sure smoking might give you cancer, but it will definitely protect you when taking a missile to the face.

BigAl6ft6 and seattlemusicnerd like this.
  6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    [​IMG]

"I was once like you...then I took a rocket to the face."

7. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
  8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    yeah CSM being all broken apart in the face is good enough of an answer to him literally getting his face peeled off in the Season 9 finale / final episode.

I don't have as much hate for the final ep because, let's face it, the X-Files was wayyyyy better at cliffhangers than answers and resolutions so do that. There were some pretty awkward Scully Science Monologues but Mulder being all beat up as CSM chuckles about being evil made up for it. Also one thing I liked? Is that the Giant Conspiracy FINALLY happened to the rest of the world. This is CSM and his crew turning over their cards and letting the world know that they are doing stuff on a massive scale and making a grab for world domination. It's basically what was teased out for years on the show. This is the endgame. And they're winning.

Also Reyes showed up again and was apparently stuck being CSM's lackey for years. But she didn't seem to enjoy it. Dogget probably would have told him to buzz off.

9. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
  10. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Yippee!

11. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Best news of the week :)

Jedi Knight Fett and TX-20 like this.
  12. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Does anyone want to speculate how they're going to tie up that completely crazy ending? And, well, everything they did in the last season? It got really radical and I'm not sure how they climb down.

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Hopefully there are more episodes like the one with Rhys Darby and less like... the ones Chris Carter wrote.

14. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    The main episode I liked was the one with the psychic kids and those moms in it.

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Someone drive a dumptruck full of money up to Vince Gilligan's house to get him to do a kick ass Monster of the Week. Fox has to have deeper pockets than AMC!

darthcaedus1138, Darth Guy and TX-20 like this.
  16. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Or just let Darin Morgan write & direct at least 8 of the 10 episodes.

17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I'm actually kind of surprised. I felt like response was pretty negative to this last season.

Anyway, I'm almost done with season three of my rewatch! God, this show was great. Season One had great episodes; Season Two was pretty great; Season Three is near perfection. That black oil two-parter is just ******* fantastic. I'd forgotten how thematic the show had gotten by season three. The way that one ends with Mulder & Scully at the cemetery and Scully repeats that line about how we bury the dead alive and then that cut to Krycek at the bottom of the silo . . . Jesus. Interesting commentary on Jose Chung with Rob Bowman and Darin Morgan too. But revisiting some of these episodes is just reminding me that they aren't just as good as I remembered, which is what I was hoping for; they're actually even better. I've always loved the Clyde Bruckman episode, but watching it again after years away from it . . . I mean, it's so much better than I remembered.

18. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    I love this. The more X-Files, the better.

TX-20 and Jedi Daniel like this.
  19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
  20. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Hank Moody & Stella Gibson would make a hot couple.

jp-30 likes this.
  21. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
  22. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I need to watch this last season, but I would lose my mind if they brought Krychek back. Love that character and am hoping since Mitch signed back on maybe Nick might too.

I was not a fan of seasons 7-9, but am happy to see this still going as they have endless good stories to tell.

23. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Well, Krycek is dead.

Then again, so was CSM (about three times) so I suppose that doesn't mean anything.

TX-20, Juliet316 and Master_Lok like this.
  24. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

Um...right.:oops: I blanked that from my mind completely and effectively forgot. :D Krycek was in the comic recently (i.e. more like 2014-2015), but I've already forgotten that storyline.

But you say, as CSM apparently has the lives of a cat, so who knows?

TCF-1138 likes this.
  25. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Maybe Nicholas Lea could return as his dude-bro character from season 1's Gender Bender instead. [face_laugh]

TX-20 likes this.