main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [The X-Files] The (Continuing) Event Series!

Discussion in 'Community' started by jp-30, Oct 12, 2013.

1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    If the preview reviews keep tracking correctly, next one even better. Watching Ep 2 in an hour or so, looking forward to it immensely.

2. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    sanjay open the door

3. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    That was suitably creepy. Even though I've watched Duchovney on Californication and Anderson in The Fall, they are still freaking me out having aged (characters, not actors). aged well, but still. Scully doesn't quite sound like Scully (hello Leia). These aren't complaints about the shows, the actors or the ageing process, mind you.

I don't want to believe this journey is 1/3 over already. :(

Darth Morella and TX-20 like this.
  4. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Indeed.

5. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Heh.

6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Reliable people said the first episodes were good. Are you okay, old man?

jp-30 likes this.
  7. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I'm really wanting to know what Everton makes of all this.

8. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Thought the second episode was better than the first, I liked that it was basically a monster of the week episode that still tied into the main story. This one really felt like The X-Files, more so than the first episode and certainly more so than the last movie.

TX-20 likes this.
  9. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    I agree with the age part. I'm not complaining either but I haven't quite gotten used to it. While watching episode 2 I pretended the show never ended after season 9 and they both continued doing the same thing for another 15 years. :p

Either way I'm happy to see Mulder and Scully back on TV, I thought it would never happen. And watching the old intro gives me goosebumps.

10. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    That moment when we first returned to Mulder's office in the second episode gave me chills. I know he and Skinner had a chat in it in the previous episode, but seeing it filled with general Mulderness was the best.

11. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I've been waiting for others' reviews before I watched these episodes, because I'm a total tool who values others' opinions above my own. [face_dancing] As a result, I decided to give the first one a miss, but watched the second one. Not bad! A solid 6 out of 10, which is much better than the show was doing back during the moribund last days of its first run. Here's hoping they can keep their momentum going!

12. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    The first one is well worth watching!

Darth Morella and s65horsey like this.
  13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I liked the first episode but it did seem rushed to a convoluted point- and the jump to acceptance of stranger things was quick (this also happens in episode 2) as opposed to making it a naturally acceptable possibility. Now, I haven't ever really watched any reruns since the show last aired (and I did miss out on a lot of the last couple seasons), so I'm not sure if the show was always like that or not.

However by the end if the episode I was still confused as to what had just happened. I know after the first movie came out and the soundtrack liner notes first spelled out the conspiracy mythology that things were convoluted due to them obviously not figuring that stuff out ahead of time and having to connect it all after the fact.

So to take all that, plus the 2012 stuff from the finale, and then retcon it into something completely different... and then seemingly undo that retcon in the same episode made things... over the top in their exposition dump, acceptance and kinda undercut the drama of the retcon.

Still, I want a replica of that crashed UFO on my desk...

Episode 2 was an improvement- I like how they managed to tie together a monster of the week episode with the duo's backstory. I did have a laugh at having Anderson and Kacey Rohl on the same show again (though I don't recall if their characters ever met on Hannibal...).

One of these days I really do need to go back and rewatch the series, if only out of nostalgia if not for the sake of finishing out the seasons I missed (if only they had invented TiVo when I was in high school...). The first season hit at the height of my grade school fascination with UFOs and monsters- it really couldn't have been toned any better.

14. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Nothing in Ep 1 really overwrote the old plotlines of non-Roswell aliens, but people seem to be thinking it reconned ALL the old alien encounters.

TX-20 likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    You can't blame them- the episode went out of its way to emphasize the whole "everything we've ever done/thought was a lie- here's what really happened" angle.

The "undo" button they hit shortly thereafter was far more subtle (and, if my experience is any indicator, confusing).

16. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I loved the first two episodes, just like Star Wars TFA was on par with star wars OT the new X Files is a lot like classic X Files. really like the look of The Creature From The Black Lagoon episode in episode 3 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    I was a big fan of The X-files back in the '90's, and recently got the 1993-2002 series on Blu-ray. I'm really enjoying re-visiting the show, especially since this Blu release is the first time that we're seeing the first several seasons in widescreen.

And, I'm really enjoying the first two episodes of the new X-files series. The show hasn't skipped a beat - Scully & Mulder fell right into their original roles as if they had never left; and Skinner was spot-on as well. The 2nd episode especially felt like the original seasons of the series. Several observations:

1) Really dig that they're using the original intro. to the series! Very nostalgic. It was a great idea to keep this.

2) The 1st episode about Roswell was fantastic, and I liked the voice-over intro. by Mulder re: his giving a little bit of history of the X-files. This episode also flowed seamlessly from the 2008 X-files film I want to Believe; in that film, it depicted Mulder living in that remote cabin by himself & Scully having gone back to practicing medicine. This was carried over into the first episode of this new series.

3) I remembered that Scully & Mulder were a couple - briefly - in the later seasons of the series. However, I had forgotten about the son they had - whom they put up for adoption to protect him. The dream sequences (in episode 2) when Mulder & Scully separately imagined what it would have been like to if they had kept the child were quite poignant.

3) Just like in the early seasons of the show, I like how they're mixing it up re: the horror/sci-fi aspects of the show. I.e., the first episode was about Roswell, so very much a strong sci-fi element. The second show also had elements of sci-fi, but also involved horrible physical mutations & mental telekenesis - so, IMHO it had more of an intentional horror "vibe".

In any case, great stuff here. Looking forward to the next 4 episodes. And, if there aren't any more beyond that, I would be disappointed - but, at the same time, happy that we even got 6 new episodes.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Apparently, the episodes are being aired out of order, but it's not Fox interference, rather Carter himself shuffling around standalone stories.

The filmed second episode will air fourth, four will air fifth and five aired second. 1, 3 & 6 remain the same.

Apparently they only had to trim a few lines of dialogue from episode 2 to make it fit fourth.

Carter feels this will give the show a better flow- but it also might explain why episode 2 felt more polished than episode 1.

19. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
  20. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    I figured that was the Darin episode. Rhys Darby plays a character named Guy Mann. I assume he'll be a were-monster, not a swear-monster.

jp-30 likes this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Y'know what's kind of neat about them retcon bombing the alien conspiracy mythology? "Jose Chung's From Outer Space", a fantastic episode where it's revealed that the government is flying alien saucers and faking alien abductions, was really cool but oddly kind of an oddity in the conspiracy arc since it was established that it was aliens after all. but now with the "no, it was the government using alien technology to fake it" suddenly that becomes basically the most important conspiracy arc of the old run.

22. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    Okay, loved that one. Moments:
    "Would you like to question the witnesses?" Mulder looks at their photos, groans

Mulder's ringtone

Scully's callback to Clyde Bruckman

jp-30 likes this.
  23. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Yeah episode 3 is the best one so far, loved it.

24. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    last nights episode, episode 3 was hilarious I loved it, my sister did not like it but she is not as big a fan of the show as me and did not follow the show from the beginning like me all those years ago in the early 1990's

25. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    So many great one liners, the Scully being immortal one as SW mentioned above, my favourite though was "this is the Mulder we all love" from Scully. Also a nice throwback to Jose Chung with the untrue flashback sequence between Guy and Dana. The terrible transition effects were also fabulous.

Were the gravestones an in-joke?

slidewhistle likes this.