main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

2. Hey Fanficers! In fixing the prefixes something happened and now you can't edit titles. Don't panic! We're looking into what happened and trying to fix it.

Discussion [X-Files] XF writing discussion

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by JadeSolo, Jul 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Complete with banana cream pies and big buck teeth, here comes your X-Files writing discussion thread!

Now, discuss, but keep an eye out - it might rain sleeping bags.

So, I'm curious...after all these years: if you're a writer, how have your stories changed? Do you swear by what's on the screen? Stand-alone scary stories, or epic conspiracy yarns?

If you're a reader, how have your preferences changed? Was there something you saw in an episode that made you branch out or close in?

[b]Reminder: the new movie comes out tonight, so feel free to include spoiler talk in your answers. Just keep them HTR for the next two weeks.[/b]>

2. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Wow . . . we're talking about a looong time ago. :p I'll have to use jargon that barely exists anymore.

For some inexplicable reason, I was a "canon Nazi" when I started writing TXF fic, 11 years ago. I didn't actually flame people for writing AU's and would happily read them, but I absolutely refused to write them. Why, I cannot tell you. It seemed to make sense at the time. 8-}

But being a canon Nazi meant that I wrote nothing but Mulder/Scully friendship, casefile fics.

This was slightly unfortunate for me, in that Mulder/Scully friendship, casefile stories were approximately the least popular type of story out there. :p People could get better versions of that from Chris Carter. Why bother with my silly crap?

Like a lot of people, I started getting impatient with all the, "Ther gonna kiss! Lawl, not!!" stuff that seemed to drag on forever in season 6, and I was much relieved when finally, in an episode directed by Gillian Anderson no less, Mulder & Scully canonically hit the sack together.

I think I did write some "possible future" stories where Mulder & Scully were a couple before that, but I wrote my first romance/casefile fic after it became canon.

Because I was an idiot.

I think that's actually the last X-Files story I ever wrote. It's the one I'm currently reposting . . . without all the naughty words in it. [face_whistling] That's also probably the most popularly successful story I've ever written. I still don't know why. :p

If I were to watch the whole series again from the pilot on, I believe that I would mostly watch for the development of Mulder and Scully's relationship . . . that, and really creepy **** that crawls out of the dark. ]-} I used to really be into the mytharc, but that was before it started making No. Sense. At. All.

Somewhere I have some "lol@the mytharc" parody stuff, but I think I'll keep it closeted until such a time as more than maybe 3 people would know what it meant. :p

3. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    Well, you'll have all kinds of interesting things to write about once you see the movie. I know I'm inspired. [face_mischief]

I was all into the Mulder/Scully stories, like most teenage girls who watched the show. :p [hl=black]I do like how the new film portrays the romance - a few "awwww" moments, but based on a very strong history of partnership. I had imagined it turning into something slightly happier, but I wasn't into the traditional nuclear family thing. Okay, this one time I clicked that option on a poll, but that was it![/hl]

But now, having lived without the show for so long, and only recently finding something to fill that gaping hole in my existence, I can really appreciate how scary each episode was. I always have to cover my eyes at some point. And while my favorite episodes mostly include the funny ones, nowadays I want more creepy casefile fics. People have such big imaginations when it comes to creating monsters in the dark.

As for mytharc, the series finale was a nice summary. :p When it comes to the aliens, I prefer the older conspiracies - they're less complicated and a lot spookier.

But deep down in my heart, I always enjoy a good Scully/Krycek. Where would we be without Ratboy? [face_love] In fact, I think that was one of the first fanfics I ever wrote (if we assume that I started writing fanfic only when I actually realized I was writing fanfic, and not way back in the day when I had wild fantasies of fighting bad guys with MacGyver).

4. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    My writing improved when I stopped writing X-Files fanfic. :p

All joking aside . . . I don't know. I know that my writing in general has changed and improved, but given how long it's been since I've written X-Files fanfic (I don't think I've written anything X-Files since around '99, my really active years were '94-'98), I know that if I tried to tackle the medium now, I have no idea how it would turn out. Since my first posted 'fics were X-Files, I'd dearly love to explore it again, though.

[hl=black]I was at the midnight showing last night, and I had to AWWW over some of the moments, too. Like the moment when Scully said "It's why I fell in love with you". I've been waiting fifteen freaking years to hear that, even if they didn't actually say "I love you".[/hl]

Anyway . . . I do know I won't be resurrecting any of my old X-Files 'fics for this board. they're terrible.

Dana

5. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007
    I've never actually attempted to write an X-Files fanfic for myself, I just didn't know people did that sort of thing back when I was a big fan of the show, when it was popular. :p

But I might be tempted to give it a try, especially since there's an audience here for it, now instead of having to go post on fanfiction.net's mosh pit. ;)

Mulder and Scully sort of lend themselves to exploring darker parts of the world.

The only one thing I didn't like about the show was that Mulder never seemed to get anywhere with the government cover ups, that's a minor complaint though, and if the show were to come back on the air, I'd be all sorts of thrilled. :D

I haven't seen the new film yet, but am anxious to.

6. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Yes, he did. And by the series finale, he had pretty much all of the answers.

7. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007
    Hrm, maybe I gave up on the series too soon then, and I should dig it back out. :p

8. Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi

Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    My finished XF fanfic was limited to some drabbles from 1997 to summer 2000 (right after Scully discovered she was preggers), though I do have that half-done crossover with Sesame Street somewhere. [face_thinking] I don't think there's any particular reason why I stopped at that point; I just ran low on ideas.

9. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    Sesame Street? I'll bet that was a ride. [face_laugh]

Watch the series finale. It's nine seasons' worth of conspiracies nicely summarized in two hours. Less, actually, because those two hours also included commercials.

Much as I hate to admit my brother was right, you really could watch that finale to get that entire story arc. But you'd miss all the really good stand-alone episodes, so don't listen to him. :p

10. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Kim Manners, former X-Files executive producer, died last night from lung cancer. I'm so sad and shocked right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.