main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

X-Men 2 !!!!!SPOILERS!!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by sergejg, May 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sergejg

sergejg Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2002
    Wow!!! just saw X-men 2, I have been waiting so much for this movie I can't belive I actually waited for the second day after the national release here in Mexico to watch it!! (had a party last night, hehe, that's why I didn't see it the first day, :D)

Anyway I was totally in shock with the whole movie! I knew there were lots of more goodies than the trailers showed! hehe. The whole thing of introducing the story of Jean Grey as Phoenix was an unespected pleasure to me! in the final sequence where there is a quick pan at the water where Jean did her "sacrifice" did you noticed the Phoenix shadow!? Now they have done it, I just can't wait for Xmen3!!!! (it has to be the Phoenix Saga, right?! why else got into all of that throu the whole movie!!!!??)

The cameos where really good, I was hoping this time Kitty Pride would get some lines but it was cool that Colosus got some. Syrn has never been one of my favorites but it was a really awesome sound effect there! My brother noticed that when the Strike team attacks the school there was a kid playing cards there, is that Gambit? well, if he is then I guess there goes the chance that he could get some importance on the next movie.

There was a moment where I thought a lot of Episode III during X2. With the whole Pyro plot. I mean, we all knew right from the start he is going to be a bad guy! So instantly I thought of good old Anakin.

Well so what do you guys think about the whole Xmen2 movie?! are there any cameos I missed? by the way, who was that little kid that blinked his eyes and changed the channel on the tv set?

2. Darth Dane

Darth Dane Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2000

Phoenix is Queen :)

I felt the shivers up my spine when Jean started to have flames in her eyes, and then in the end when she was fired up ;)

I don't know about the blinking kid though.

Yeah Pyro was easily spotted as a converter.

Phoenix is far more powerfull than Xavier is right? AFAI remember Phoenix is way out of Xaviers league, even if he should pump up his volume.

I am so waiting for the next one :D

DD - X-men Spliff

3. Fenix

Fenix Jedi Master star 3

Feb 14, 2000
    I haven't seen the movie yet..but now I really wanna see it! Just to see Phoenix(the Phoenix Saga was one of my favorite parts in the tv show) That makes sense in the commercial why Jean's eyes had 'fire' in them.

4. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Phoenix, eh?

*eagerly awaits going to theater tonight*

5. MobartZmuda

MobartZmuda Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2002
    I was disappointed in the film. I thought this movie was trying to do way too much. It was all over the place. For example, why even show Wolverine going to the Weapon X facility at the beginning of the film--nothing really happened. He should have torn the place apart looking for answers, but instead he just gives up after running into a couple locked doors.

The biggest disappointment to me is how the movies dumb down their mutant powers. Why couldn't Xavier or Storm or Ice Man do anything to help Jean Grey stop the water? Xavier could have helped push the water back or get the X-jet in the air. Isn't Xavier the most powerful telepathic being on earth? EVen if he was slightly injured, he could have tried to do something. Storm could have controlled the water right---isn't that her power? She could have either pushed the water back with the wind or something. Ice man should have been able to freeze the water.

What really bugs me though is the way Magneto is portrayed in the films. Magneto is too weak and frail. I realize that the film makers are limited by their budget, but I want to see Magneto hovering around everywhere with his force shield up. He shouldn't be walking around, holding his cape. That's lame.

Then on the other extreme, you have Mystique, who is insanely powerful in the movies. She can take on everyone in that room. You've got Magneto, storm, Wolverine, Jean Grey, and they send Mystique in---that's crazy.

I wish they would have explained more about Deathstrike---is her origin the same as Lady Deathstrike in the comics, and if so why don't they show her expressing her hatred for Wolverine. There's so much more they could have done with that story, but they didn't even bring it up.

I was also hoping to see the President give an executive order establishing the Sentinels at the end of the film, instead of Xavier freezing time (why couldn't he do that when the water was coming??) to give that lame speech.

I think the cartoons have been the best adaptations of the comics so far (X-men Evolution on the WB withstanding). The early 90s X-men cartoon changed the storylines around, but they were still excellent, unlike these films, which are merely acceptable.

6. Darth Dane

Darth Dane Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2000

The beautiful part about the x-men is that there are multiple timelines....this is just yet another!

If rogue was to be as she is in teh comics, she would be way to powerfull, then you'd have to pump up the others.

For me this is a sweet version of teh universe we hold dear, it's not even close to being the comics, but it is a mighty try well worth of recognition ;)

A danish critic said there was to much effects, making it feel heavy, but I feel that it is a core part of the x-men experience to see all this dazzling array of powers, even downplayed :) in live action.

Yes deathstrike was a little sidestepped, but how much background story could they jam in there? We see colossus, siren, nightcrawler, jason(?), pyro each characther brings forth a huge story that has to fit in the story arch as wee see it, then changes has to be made, due to teh medium of movies.

DD - X-Men Spliff

7. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Then on the other extreme, you have Mystique, who is insanely powerful in the movies. She can take on everyone in that room. You've got Magneto, storm, Wolverine, Jean Grey, and they send Mystique in---that's crazy.

Actually, this was because Mystique could shapeshift. Didn't you catch the dialogue when the X-group is trying to get into the Weapon X facility? Someone says Stryker would flood the entrance if he saw them coming. But he wouldn't kill Wolverine. Wolverine doesn't have the computer knowledge to get what they needed, Mystique did. It's as simple as that, have Mystique shapeshift into Wolverine and get the information. Not something to complain about.

I wish they would have explained more about Deathstrike---is her origin the same as Lady Deathstrike in the comics, and if so why don't they show her expressing her hatred for Wolverine. There's so much more they could have done with that story, but they didn't even bring it up.

If they would've explained her intense hatred of Wolverine, it would give away too much of Wolverine's past. Already in that one movie we've discovered most of his past, save some for X3.

8. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Even this starchy professor I work with was enthused about seeing the film...didn't even figure him to be the type, either. If *he's* been following the reviews, and gives a recommend, I'm checking it out.

Looking forward to this one.

9. KaineDamo

KaineDamo Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 6, 2002
    MobartZmuda, how much attention were you paying to this movie??

"For example, why even show Wolverine going to the Weapon X facility at the beginning of the film--nothing really happened. He should have torn the place apart looking for answers, but instead he just gives up after running into a couple locked doors."

Wolverine didn't encounter any locked doors. At the facility Wolverine went to, there was literally nothing there. It was completely abandoned. Stryker's base was UNDERGROUND. Really, how the heck was Wolverine supposed to realise theres a hidden base under the ground?

"The biggest disappointment to me is how the movies dumb down their mutant powers. Why couldn't Xavier or Storm or Ice Man do anything to help Jean Grey stop the water? Xavier could have helped push the water back or get the X-jet in the air. Isn't Xavier the most powerful telepathic being on earth?"

Telekinises isn't Xavier's power! Xavier controls and reads peoples minds. Yes, he is the most powerful telepath in the world. But he can't push tidal waves back by reading minds!

"Storm could have controlled the water right---isn't that her power?"

No. She controls the weather.

"She could have either pushed the water back with the wind or something."

Her wind isn't really that powerful. Did you see the size of that tidal wave??

"Ice man should have been able to freeze the water."

Certainly some of it, but not nearly enough. Even an older, more experienced, more powerful Bobby wouldn't have been able to freeze that tidal wave.

"What really bugs me though is the way Magneto is portrayed in the films. Magneto is too weak and frail. I realize that the film makers are limited by their budget, but I want to see Magneto hovering around everywhere with his force shield up. He shouldn't be walking around, holding his cape. That's lame."

Actually, i wish Magneto was a tad more powerful in the movie. The comic book Magneto doesn't need metal to fly, he simply levitates himself with a magnetic field.

"Then on the other extreme, you have Mystique, who is insanely powerful in the movies. She can take on everyone in that room. You've got Magneto, storm, Wolverine, Jean Grey, and they send Mystique in---that's crazy."

You weren't paying attention at all, were you? She was the only one who could go in. Number 1, because she could disguise herself as Wolverine and Stryker wouldn't immediately kill Wolverine, and number 2, because she was the only one who could use that computer console.

"I was also hoping to see the President give an executive order establishing the Sentinels at the end of the film,"

I think it was pretty much left open that the President hasn't decided what to do yet. He may yet decide that mutants, all mutants, are a threat.

"instead of Xavier freezing time (why couldn't he do that when the water was coming??)"

Freezing time?? Thats not what he done!! Xavier is a TELEPATH! Xavier reads and controls minds, thats all. He controlled the minds of everybody in that room, he effectively "froze" their bodies.

"to give that lame speech."

I thought it was quite cool. Xavier takes the diplomatic approach whenever possible.

"I think the cartoons have been the best adaptations of the comics so far (X-men Evolution on the WB withstanding). The early 90s X-men cartoon changed the storylines around, but they were still excellent, unlike these films, which are merely acceptable."

But its so obvious your not a comic book fan. You didn't even pay attention to this movie.

10. MobartZmuda

Apr 3, 2002
    Don't make me laugh.

11. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    Woah!! I was wrong all along! How could i have been so blind?? That one sentence from you made me realise how wrong i am. Xavier CAN control time! How could i have been so wrong? Your obviously a HUGE fan of the X-Men comic books.

12. MobartZmuda

Apr 3, 2002
    My comment about sending Mystique in was that with all the other mutants, surely they could have gotten into the room, if they actually used ALL of their powers inconjunction. I'm sure the facility had some metal in it, surely Magneto could have taken care of things by himself.

The wolverine in the comic books would have tore the Weapon X facility apart looking for answers. He wouldn't give up so easy.

Also, why doesn't the X-mansion have any defenses of its own?

And Xavier CAN move things with his mind---please pick up a comic book.

13. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    They're smarter than just running in guns blazing, not knowing what to expect. Their infiltration plan is much better than that.

Wolverine is a guy that doesn't give up easily, your right about that. But there was no way for him to know there was a secret underground base. Its called secret for a reason. No amount of randomly tearing things apart would have revealed a secret door. Wolverine searched the abandoned facility, and there was literally nothing there.

Xavier never has, doesn't now, and never will move things with his mind. Any X-Men fan will tell you this. Xavier is a telepath, not a telekinetic. You claim Xavier can control time, yet your telling ME i need to pick up a comic book???

14. MobartZmuda

Apr 3, 2002
    I'm not sure how long one can survive in a secret facility, but surely Stryker had come in and out of the facility within a few days, and surely Wolverine could have found some trace of life---be it through footprints in the snow or perhaps picking up a scent or something. That's all I ask is to show effort or don't even include the scene in the movie.

15. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    What an insignificant nitpick from someone who it seems fell asleep every now and then while watching. I'm off to bed.

16. MobartZmuda

Apr 3, 2002
    Ouch, that's why I don't frequent these boards anymore. Too much negativity. Everything always boils down to personal insults.

17. Padawan915

Padawan915 Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2002
    I'm not gonna get in the middle of a war here, but I'm gonna comment on the movie.

First off, bravo Bryan Singer, you've successfully done the best comic book movie sequel to date (Outside of Superman II).

The movie I thought was very cohesive, had great development and was fairly true to the comics, with some occassional strays. Nightcrawler (Alan Cummings) did an outstanding job. And the set up for the third movie is outstanding. Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) did a great job again and should be commended. Storm also had a great role.

The part about Magneto being weak does seem to be true, although when he broke out of his prison, that was sweet. I would like him to use more of his powers, but all in due time. Pyro I expected to join with Magneto, not very suprising at all.

The F/X were very good, not great, but a vast improvement from the last movie. All in all, I was very impressed with the movie. Can't wait to see what Singer will do for the third one. :)

18. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    Sorry, I'm coming out of retirement to pick this apart. This "review" was pointed out to me by someone on another board, and I had to respond.

I was disappointed in the film. I thought this movie was trying to do way too much. It was all over the place. For example, why even show Wolverine going to the Weapon X facility at the beginning of the film--nothing really happened. He should have torn the place apart looking for answers, but instead he just gives up after running into a couple locked doors.

They showed him going there because that's where he left for at the end of the first film. And he didn't find locked doors, he saw a place that had been leveled to the ground.

The biggest disappointment to me is how the movies dumb down their mutant powers. Why couldn't Xavier or Storm or Ice Man do anything to help Jean Grey stop the water? Xavier could have helped push the water back or get the X-jet in the air. Isn't Xavier the most powerful telepathic being on earth? EVen if he was slightly injured, he could have tried to do something.

Well it's pretty obvious you know nothing about Xavier, the comic books, or telepathy. You are thinking of telekenisis, which Xavier does NOT have as a power. So no, he could not have done anything.

Storm could have controlled the water right---isn't that her power? She could have either pushed the water back with the wind or something. Ice man should have been able to freeze the water.

Well, one: what meterological force do you know of that can stop a 200 foot tidal wave? Storm can bend the rules of weather, she can't break them. And two: Iceman is still learning to use his powers. I doubt even fully trained, like he is in the comics, that he could have stopped the wave. It's big, it's moving fast, and last time i checked water moving at that speed DOES NOT FREEZE.

What really bugs me though is the way Magneto is portrayed in the films. Magneto is too weak and frail. I realize that the film makers are limited by their budget, but I want to see Magneto hovering around everywhere with his force shield up. He shouldn't be walking around, holding his cape. That's lame.

Sorry if you think he is weak and frail. I mean, he's in his 70s. What do you expect, Arnold? And the force field is unrealistic for the universe Singer has created for these characters.

Insanely powerful? She can change shapes. She uses that to her advantage in martial arts. Are you at all familiar with the character in the comics? She's one of the most dangerous mutants on the planet. The reason they sent Mystique in is because of her skill at espionage. She can become ANYONE and infiltrate practically anywhere. It was very smart to send her in.

Yeah, they could have done more, if you wanted to bog down the movie. Yuriko served her purpose here, and the door is left open for future appearances.

I was also hoping to see the President give an executive order establishing the Sentinels at the end of the film, instead of Xavier freezing time (why couldn't he do that when the water was coming??) to give that lame speech.

One: An executive order to create sentinals would have just defeated the entire purpose of the movie, that being eliminating the fear and hatred of all mutants. Two: Xavier did not "freeze time", he paused everyone's brains. If he had done that when the water was coming they all would have died because no one would be able to move.

I think the cartoons have been the best adaptations of the comics so far (X-men Evoluti

19. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    Oh let the guy have his opinions. Why must everyone pick on the guy who has opinions contrary to the herd? I like X-2, I love it! But let the guy speak his mind if he didn't like it! Let's not be like an American mob condemning the Dixie Chicks :p

Now as for me, I'll just repost my review in 'Community':

Alright, so I've seen the movie. Hurrah! So, is it good? Well, it's definitely better than the first one. I'm happy to say that my prediction was correct: 3/5 of the stuff in the novelization made it onto the screen, and most of the character building parts were there. I'm still not sure where this stands in my list of fave comic movies, I'd probably need a second viewing for that. And I do have some issues withe movie, but first...

The plot. Yes, there is a plot! Now, when it comes to the beginning, this movie starts off similar to 'LOTR: The Two Towers'. In other words, there's not much of a recap. That isn't too bad for a geek like me I guess, but some people might have issues with that. Anyway, we start off with Nightcrawler apparently trying to assasinate The US President (I'm sure Saddam is laughing somewhere, assuming he gets to see the movie). He fails, but the damage is done, and the US President is persuaded by some General named Stryker to go get some mutants. And yes, he didn't need to ask UN permission (just kidding!).

That's all I want to reveal about the plot. My reaction to it: it's pretty decent. The pacing is much improved from the first movie, since if I'm not mistaken the running time is longer. Well done Mr.Singer, you finally get it right! And I salute Singer's team of writers. This is how you make a movie, not simply take some dumb Marvel comic and transfer it to the screen. I like the fact that they do have some sort of direction now, though it remains to be seen what this direction is.

And again, unlike the first movie, it's no longer just about Wolverine and Rogue and Magneto. Just like in the novelization, almost everyone gets to shine. The performances that stand out are Patrick Stewart as Prof. Xavier and Ian McKellan as Magneto, but hey, was there ever any doubt about those two? I'm tempted to just gush about those two, but naaah! Moving on...

I salute the three teens: Rogue, Iceman and Pyro (where has this young man been? He was magnificent, flashy when need be but subtle at appropriate moments.). Wonderful stuff by the youngsters, and I especially enjoyed their interaction with Wolverine. And make no mistake: while the movie has room for everyone, Hugh Jackman's Wolverine is still the main guy. Similarly, Rogue's part remains, more or less, as big as the last one. But hey, no complaints for me, since the other players are OK too.

Anything bad? Well, like I said, I do have issues with it. The music...sigh. Ya know, composer John Ottman does try. The music for Nightcrawler's assasination attempt was fairly decent, it made me feel optimistic...for a while. After that it's just noise, just like the first movie. Dammit, I really hope Singer somehow finds someone good for the sequel.

As for the acting....well, James Marsden gave his best, but his Cyclops is just so sad. I really really feel pity for fans of this character. If you're a Cyclops fan, than don't bother seeing this. The fact that Wolverine has better chemistry with Jean is pretty much rubbing salt into the wound.

And my comments on Storm: I will rejoice on the day that it is confirmed Halle Berry will leave the cast. That's all I can say without being banned for using the harsh language that Berry deserves. Was she asleep throughout the whole thing??? Grrr...must resist urge to comment more...

Oh, and let me make some spoiler-ish comments....

SPOILER ALERT.....

I love the ending. It was....dammit, they cheated! The ending was different from the novelization, thus it caught me by surprise! Arghhh! Awesome marketing strategy. I don't want to reveal too much, but I almost cried (and for one moment, I started to symphatise with Cyclops :p). Brilliant, absolutely brillliant. I prop

20. bad radio

bad radio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 26, 1999
    Did anyone notice Gambit?s name pop up on the computer screen when Mystique was searching for info on Magneto? His name was in one of Stryker?s files, so what could that mean? Is Gambit rotting away in one of Stryker?s prisons somewhere?

I?m old school X-Men and I?m looking forward to seeing Phoenix bust out of her cocoon at the bottom of the lake.

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by this movie.

21. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ...just got back..

FANTASTIC flick (this coming from someone who thought the first one was slightly above-average).

If you have the time, check this one out.

22. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    FANTASTIC flick (this coming from someone who thought the first one was slightly above-average)

I have similar opinions. I love this sequel, yet I was a wee bit annoyed with the first movie. Again, thumbs up to Bryan Singer and his team. I mean, the fact that they can make a Marvel hater like me love this Marvel movie so much....that's quite an achievement [face_laugh]

Oh, and I have decided this is how my top 5 fave comic-related movies list should look:

5--Batman

4--X-Men 2

3--Batman Returns

2--Spider-Man

1--Unbreakable

:D

23. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    I thought this movie was FANTASTIC! I was also very suprised at how much they got into it (however it was a long movie). As a kid every saturday morning I would wake up and watch the original X-Men cartoons(thank goodness, I understood every little tie in to the comics, and cartoons), and X-Men 2 really captured that same feel that I had as a child. It felt like it belonged in the X-men world, just like another episode in the series. I also noticed Gambits name pop up on the list of mutants, also the interview on TV that showed Dr. Henry "Hank" McCoy a.k.a. Beast.

"Kitty Pride would get some lines "

That was also one of my disapointments with the movie. I wish she would have been in it some more. shes one of my favorite characters along with Gambit, and neither of them got more than a name on the computer, and a quick cameo. The Colossus thing was awesome I must say.

Forcebewitya!

24. RubberDuckyfromSpace

RubberDuckyfromSpace Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    Just saw it, I must say I really enjoyed myself. It's a fun movie.

25. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    oh, a couple more things. The Pheonix thing was SWEET as heck! I noticed the first time I saw the fire in her eyes, very cool. oh, and the Dixie chicks...they deserve to be mobbed, first they are ugly, second they aren't patriotic, and third I hate country music.

Forcebewitya!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.