main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

X-Men 2 !!!!!SPOILERS!!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by sergejg, May 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Caught this earlier this evening and was just blown away by it. It's perfect, IMO.

While there have obviously been some changes to the characters, most of those changes and new directions were established in the first film, so they're expected, and keeping that in mind for a frame of reference, they stay absolutely true to the characters.

And while the character interactions are the true highlight and core to the film, the action is much better here also- with the assault on the school being incredibly intense.

So, while the Fox animated series of the early 90's may have been truer to the flashier style of the comics, this film is the perfect representation of what the comics were about.

IMO, with the possible exception to the Burton Batman films, X-2 is not only the best comic book movie made yet (I don't count Unbreakable, since that wasn't based on an actual comic) but is one of the best sequels ever made, period.

Bravo, Mr. Singer, Brav-frelling-o.

And thank you.

2. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    I just got back from it.

Wow! :D

X3 will definately be the Phoenix Saga.

Excellent.

3. Soulwalker

Soulwalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2003
    I just got back from watching it! Awesome movie, many times better than X-Men the movie. :eek:

Did anyone else notice the barely visible Pheonix shape in the water? It might have been my imagination, but I could swear that I saw it!

At any rate, I'm guessing we'll be seeing Pheonix in X3. :p Pyro surprised me, very cool what he did, hehe. Iceman was just stupid. :p

4. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    I was also hoping to see the President give an executive order establishing the Sentinels at the end of the film, instead of Xavier freezing time (why couldn't he do that when the water was coming??) to give that lame speech.

One: An executive order to create sentinals would have just defeated the entire purpose of the movie, that being eliminating the fear and hatred of all mutants. Two: Xavier did not "freeze time", he paused everyone's brains. If he had done that when the water was coming they all would have died because no one would be able to move.

Exactly, the whole "pausing time thing" is explained just like the above poster explained it. In the beginning of the movie, when Pyro has the confrontation with the punks, and Xavier "stops time", you can still hear people talking on cell phones and radio and such. This is because Xavier didn't stop time, he merely took over people's minds to make their bodies stop moving. He commanded their bodies to shut down basically.

If someone walked into the mall at that point, they would've seen a bunch of people not moving, but time itself didn't stop.

5. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    I really thought that we were going to see Sentinals. If you pay attention at the end of the first film there is a mention of Peter Girich's name on a television, and since then I figured that would be a bit of a hint. Oh well... Phoenix.

!snap

6. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    I thought the movie was amazing. My one single complaint is how poorly Lady Deathstrike was treated in the film. If they were going to use her that way, I don't know why they bothered at all.

7. Soulwalker

Soulwalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2003
    My one single complaint is how poorly Lady Deathstrike was treated in the film. If they were going to use her that way, I don't know why they bothered at all.

I'm really out of the X-Men comics, but I'm assuming you meant the lady that punctured numerous new holes for Wolverine. :p

I agree that she was far too much a "prop" than she really was a "character". I mean, she never said anything coherent in the entire movie, or even seemed to have a personality except for those few seconds in which she seemed to be snapping out of her mind control.

The fight scene with Wolverine was cool, but it was just a machine fighting because her master told her to. A waste of a potentially great match for Wolverine, I think. :(

8. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    Wasn't Logan like married to Yourico (spelling?) or something like that? Or at least involved somehow?

!snap

9. dehrian

Mar 18, 1999
    X-2 is not only the best comic book movie made yet, but is one of the best sequels ever made, period.

I completely agree with that. It's one of those rare sequels that is better than the original. In this case, it's much better.

10. sergejg

sergejg Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2002
    Wow!! Im back to the thread and just saw some very amazing posts!! the part where the war between the guy that never read a X-men comic and the X-men Fan was really cool!

I actually missed those two "cameos", the gambit name on the computer and the Hank interview!! By the way, so the kid that blinks is a new mutant that never has apeared in the comics? Also this Jason character, is he the one that during Age of Apocalypse was the ilusionist of the circus where X-man lived in that universe? (can't remember his name)

x2 was amazing but x3 is going to be definatley the favorite with the whole Phoenix Saga, however I have a strange theory, I don't think the surprises for x3 will end just there. My point is, could it be posible that the claim of Stryker when he tells Wolverine in the end that "others will finish my work" or something like that be kind of a teaser? could it be posible that this will be linked to events in the next movie where we could see at last the centinels or the Legacy virus? what do you guys think?

Also, there was lots of enfasis on the magneto line: "there are only two persons that I know who can handle adamantium" (or something like that) could it be posible that this will be related to x3??

A diferent ending in the novel? what was the ending in there? sounds interesting (but the phoenix ending sounds better!).

Oh another question, isn't mystique nightcrawlers mom in the comics? do you guys think she will be to in this universe? (there has been lots of changes to mystique so this one wouldn't surprise me).

Talking about Age of apocalypse isn't it weird to think that in that time line Rouge was married with Magneto? hehehehe.

(edit: added more stuff to the post)

11. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Definitely superior to the first one, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I loved the scene where Stryker's men attack the school, both exciting and innovative.

Kitty Pryde being chased
    Scream!
    Collosus
    Kitchen fight (Wolverine actually kills!)
    Ice wall

I only have one complaint:

- It ended and they haven't even started making X3 yet.

Also, I noticed that in some scenes the picture was slightly blurry. Two instances I can remember were the shots of the soldiers in the Mansion's underground corridor, and Wolverine in the halls entering the 'grafting' chamber. Did anyone notice this or was it just the print/cinema I saw?

About the 'issue' on the first page - People can have their opinions about a film, but they cannot expect people to take them seriously if they are, quite simply, wrong about certain elements that they have complained about.

12. sergejg

sergejg Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2002
    >> About the 'issue' on the first page - People can have their opinions about a film, but they cannot expect people to take them seriously if they are, quite simply, wrong about certain elements that they have complained about. <<

I totally agree, I mean, if you are going to make such a strong opinion on something you have to base your conclusions on facts, not just stuff that came up in your head (he actually belived that Professor X could freeze time no matter what anybody told him!, hehe :D )

>>Kitty Pryde being chased
    Scream!
    Collosus
    Kitchen fight (Wolverine actually kills!)
    Ice wall <<

Yes this was something I noticed too! this Wolverine in x2 actually kills like dozens of soldiers!! wooowww!! how cool is that! now that's what I call a realistic Logan.

And I must insist, I really hope Kitty Pryde gets at least a secondary role on the next one.

By the way, I have another question. Did the little girl colosus saves in his arms is his sister? I was kind of shocked in that whole invation to the mansion scene to notice, but the way he protected her really made me remember that he went bezerker in some early stories when she was alive to save her!

13. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    "Did the little girl colosus saves in his arms is his sister?"

hmm, my X-men knowledge is a little rusty, but it could well be. What was his sister's power?

14. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Well i really enjoyed this movie i have to say!!

For some reason though Colossus did not have a Russian accent! This disapointed me a great deal.

The rest of the movie was good, Unfortunatly they just don't know what to do with Cyclops and how to treat him as a character since they are giving Wolverine the leading role.

I have to say that Nightcrawler was done amazing! I can't think of one thing they could have done to make him better! (well maybe give him back his original costume)

15. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Her name is Iliana and i believe her powers involved dimention shifting like Colossus's brother.

16. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    Oh yes of course! There was the bit in the alternate timeline (X-men Omega) in which Colossus

SPOILERS!

kills Iliana when she doesn't phase as he rams into her in an attempt to get through her.

END SPOILERS

One of my favourite stories (purely because the writers shake up things by changing the goodies and baddies - Magneto the leader of the Xmen!)

Regarding the accent. Whilst it's not obviously Russian sounding, I don't think it was American - which is better than nothing I suppose.

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I hope they introduce the Legacy Virus in X4 or something (probably won't be X3 since I'm guessing that'll be tied up mainly with Phoenix and maybe Dark Phoenix)- might be a good thing to combine with the appearance of the Sentinels.

Of course, if they follow the comics, it means Collosus will eventually die to cure it ::(

But, at least it'll give him a couple movies to build up his character before it happens.

18. KaineDamo

KaineDamo Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 6, 2002
    Haha... glad some of you found the 'issue' on the first page so amusing :)

"I actually missed those two "cameos", the gambit name on the computer and the Hank interview!! By the way, so the kid that blinks is a new mutant that never has apeared in the comics?"

I'm not sure, actually. If its a character from the comics, its a character i am unfamiliar with.

"Also this Jason character, is he the one that during Age of Apocalypse was the ilusionist of the circus where X-man lived in that universe? (can't remember his name)"

I don't know about Age Of Apocalypse, but i'm pretty sure Jason in the movie is based off Jason Wyngrade a.k.a Mastermind from the comics. He was very involved in the Dark Pheonix saga.

"could it be posible that this will be linked to events in the next movie where we could see at last the centinels or the Legacy virus? what do you guys think?"

I certainly hope Sentinals and the Legacy Virus are tackled in the later movies. Could you imagine, Sentinals on the big screen??

"Also, there was lots of enfasis on the magneto line: "there are only two persons that I know who can handle adamantium" (or something like that) could it be posible that this will be related to x3??"

I'm pretty sure Magneto was talking about himself and Stryker. Maybe we'll see Magneto rip out Wolverine's adamantium, like in the comics?? That would be one heck of a brutal scene.

"Oh another question, isn't mystique nightcrawlers mom in the comics? do you guys think she will be to in this universe? (there has been lots of changes to mystique so this one wouldn't surprise me)."

Yes, she is his mother in the comics. I think they will reveal it in X-Men 3.

19. Darth Dane

Darth Dane Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2000

Could Jason be an offshoot of Legion, the child of Xaviers?

DD - Love Spliff

20. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    "I thought the movie was amazing. My one single complaint is how poorly Lady Deathstrike was treated in the film. If they were going to use her that way, I don't know why they bothered at all. "

I know! I was hoping that she would have a much bigger role in X2. The fight between her and Logan was awesome though. If I'm not mistaken isnt Lady Deathstrike Wolverines sister? I think I remeber something about that from the comics.

Forcebewitya!

21. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    I saw a connection to Legion with Jason too... but I think that was coincidental.

Oh yes of course! There was the bit in the alternate timeline (X-men Omega) in which Colossus

SPOILERS!

kills Iliana when she doesn't phase as he rams into her in an attempt to get through her.

That's Kitty, not Illyana.

END SPOILERS

Also... did anyone notice that in addition to killing, Wolvie said "Bub"... hahaha, excellent. :D

22. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    Favorite moments: Nightcrawler saving Rogue in mid-air, Wolverine unleashed against Stryker's troops, Mystique playing Rebecca Romjin-Stamos, the grenade pins, and COLLOSSUS!!!

23. dehrian

Mar 18, 1999
    I'm, personally, hoping to see Havok in the next one. Cyclops has gotten the short shift in the last two, so it would be cool if they brought in Havok as a bad guy and beefed up Cyclops's role at the same time.

24. Waning Drill

Waning Drill Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 30, 1999
    Sentinels would be cool. They're just big robots programmed by an industrialist to kill mutants, so it's not like there's a huge backstory to work through.

Avalon would be great if they wanted to showcase Magneto in a larger role. Or Genosha.

I don't think the Legacy Virus would work. It might've back in the day when Mr. Sinister and Apocalypse were just evil mutants, instead of the indestructible demigods they turned into.

25. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Poor Cyclops just can't get no respect in these movies :(

Maybe he'll have a bigger role if they go with the Pheonix Saga for X3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.