main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

X-Men 2 !!!!!SPOILERS!!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by sergejg, May 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    This was an awesome movie

But I wonder why, Jean had to step out of the plane to actually lift the jet? Couldn't she just lift it and hold off the water from the inside.

Plus why doesn't she and Professor Xavier just link their powers for even more power?

EDIT: Thanks

2. KaineDamo

KaineDamo Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 6, 2002
    Jean is much better at focusing her power when shes near whatever she wants to lift, thus why she went outside so she could better concentrate on lifting the jet, AND stopping the wave.

Xavier can't move things with his mind.

3. Valkor

Valkor Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    2 thumbs up! Way up. I really enjoyed the movie, although I can't help but feel a certain force pulling me towards....5.15.03....there is no spoon.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Also, telekinetics typically are not able to lift themselves- akin to you not being able to pick yourself up.

And the similarities between Pyro and Anakin are certainly interesting- both actors have a very similar look at times (that look of joy at doing something terrible). The Pyro/Iceman/Rogue archetypes are somewhat comparable generally to Anakin/Padme/Obi to a degree also.

Though, since Pyro's story is part of an ensemble cast instead of being teh focus of the series like Anakin, his is not quite as detailed but still effective.

And while Anakin might get 6 movies to tell his story, he doesn't have a girlfriend who can drain more than just acting talent from people [face_batting]

>>BTW, I just heard that it is possible to purchase at least part of the original cartoon series, does anyone else know about this? <<

Yeah, some episodes are on DVD- I actually picked up the disc with the 5 episodes of the Phoenix Saga yesterday. Though most of these are out of stock at amazon, and are probably tricky to find, except for the recently released Legend of Wolverine.

A glance at Amazon has the following listed:

The Legend of Wolverine (Out of the Past Parts 1 & 2, Nightcrawler, the Lotus and the Steel, The Final Decision)

The Phoenix Saga (Sacrifice, Dark Shroud, Cry of the Banshee, Starjammers, Child of Light)

Reunion/Out of the Past (Reunion Parts 1 & 2, Out of the Past Parts 1 & 2, and No Mutant is an Island)

Sanctuary/Proteus/Weapon X (Sanctuary parts 1 & 2, Proteus parts 1 & 2, Weapon X lies and videotape)

5. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I had a theory while I was watching X2 about Jean and the wave- is it possible that she was channeling the energy from the water and transfering it's enegry to power the ship?

I also got the impression that from the beginning of the film at the museum, and when she was under the dam, we saw that when Jean's powers are fluxing that she directly seems to affect electrical fields. I thought she got off of the ship because she sensed that maybe she was causing the ship's lack of power herself. It was once she left the ship that power was restored.

Whaddya think?

6. CorranHalcyon

CorranHalcyon Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2000
    Actually, in the Marvel Universe telekinetics have no trouble lifting themselves up. The Iceman from the comics could've definitely frozen all the water (he's much more powerful than he used to be; he transforms his entire body to ice instead of simply making a layer of ice around his normal body) but the Iceman in the movie hasn't really had a chance to explore his powers or really challenge himself, so it's not a big deal. I still don't think it's a good idea to represent the Phoenix as being a part of Jean's natural progression of power; the whole point of the Phoenix is that it's an entity apart from Jean.

7. urgent_jedi_picnic

urgent_jedi_picnic Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003
    I'd agree there. But the other problem to consider is whether or not aliens should be brought into the mutant v. human conflict. It is the mutant issue that drives the X-Men story. The movies have definately been focused on that issue. Going out into space completely gets away from dealing with the mutant problem here on earth. I'd imagine that they'll keep up the themes they've already established.

If they do the Phoenix as the entity portrayed in the comics, my guess is that they'd figure out a way to leave most (if not all of it) on earth. Either way, i'm sure that they'll take some liberties in altering the story line.

The Picnic :eek:

8. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    I still don't buy it. If Mystique was really Kurt Wagner's mom, why was their no interaction and dialogue between them in the movie.

And if it happened in X-Men Unlimited...wouldn't that be a little like saying Boba Fett lived because of EU?

9. KaineDamo

KaineDamo Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 6, 2002
    *slaps Devilanse*

Its part of original continuity, silly. There was dialogue between them in the movie. Kurt wouldn't know who his real parents are.

10. zombieone

zombieone Jedi Youngling

Oct 22, 2002
    Hey guys just dropping in to give my thoughts on the movie, Great film all around

looking forward to seeing how they deal with the Phoenix saga
    great job on the cameo parts also..I would like to see them use Gambit and bring Jubilee out more but all around great movie

11. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    "I still don't buy it. If Mystique was really Kurt Wagner's mom, why was their no interaction and dialogue between them in the movie."

Well... they've changed it!!!

From the start, Mystique is a lot younger than her comic counterpart anyway, and clearly isn't old enough to have Nightcrawler. So of course, they didn't keep that element in place.

12. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    I don't think they should introduce the aliens for the Dark Phoenix storyline; it would distract from the conflict of mutants versus humans. I'd rather see them stick to the real world setting than stick to the comic religiously. As long as they manage to contain the themes of the original story, I have no problem with them re-writing that part of the saga to make it work in the movie version of the world.

13. Rogue_Granger

Rogue_Granger Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2003
    okay, here's my two cents on this amazing and spectacular film.....
    I thought it was wonderful....much better than the first. I thought Rogue's progression as a character was great! I loved the scene when Magneto says "I love what you've done with your hair"....and the gloves come off....there is the hintings of the Rogue we all know and love!
    My only beef w/ X2(which I pray will be remedied in X3)was the abscence of Gambit....
    A good friend of mine met with the casting director about Gambit, and he comfirmed that Bryan Singer didn't want Gambit in the second. He said he would defenitly include him in the third...
    And if they put him with anyone but Rogue, they will have to put up with a lot of angry fans(myself included)... I love Rogue's torment of her inability to get close to people, and I especially loved Gambit as her counterpart... It would be great to see the sparks(no pun intended) in a mini fight between Gambit and Bobby....
    and they could make him a young adult... mid-twenties, mayhaps? That's not too old for Rogue....

okay I'm finished now....

14. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    "Yeah, I am wondering if they'll be able to do anything with the Remy/Rogue thing also...I suppose they could refocus his attention to another character- Jubilee seems older, so maybe her? "

eh? I donno, I think if they're going to do anything romantically with Gambit it should be with Rouge. And if not then dont do anything at all. I would like to see an older Gambit anyway. Even though he sometimes acts like a kid. I dont think that Rouge should have gotten involved with Iceman. Actually I think it would have been cooler to see Gambit in Icemans place throughout both movies. Iceman never really had any relationship with Rouge in the comics (that I can remember)

Forcebewitya!

15. Rogue_Granger

Rogue_Granger Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2003
    I agree....I didn't think there was eithier....isn't Bobby Drake a little older than Rogue?

16. Killer Ewok

Killer Ewok Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 23, 1999
    I thought the Mystique-Nightcrawler connection was only in that silly second X-Men cartoon series thingy ... or is this yet another of those gaps in my X-Men knowledge? (sorry, my comic forte is Spiderman and FF ... and even then, it's years since I was a collector)

However, I can say that Iceman was actually one of the original team of X-Men - they've edited his age and role severely ... but I'm not complaining.

I think X2 was awesome - pedanticism when watching movie adaptions is never a good way to enjoy a movie - it was pretty bloody great!

17. CorranHalcyon

May 19, 2000
    They haven't actually edited his age that much. He was always a lot younger than the rest of the team, and he sort of felt like he was left out or a joke when it was just the original 5. Now he's come into his own a lot more. As for Nightcrawler and Mystique, X-men Unlimited is part of continuity. She's his mother. We also can't say for sure that the movie Mystique is younger than the Mystique in the comic books. Mystique has a youthful appearance in the comic books and in the movie because she's a shapeshifter.

18. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    Sure in the comics it's hard to tell her age and all, but it would stretch the credibility of the movie Mystique and its universe if Nightcrawler was introduced as the son. That's why they probably left it out (not to mention, it's not really necessary).

19. CorranHalcyon

May 19, 2000
    Yes, and I also figure that Singer doesn't want to play all of his cards at once, otherwise there's no mystery behind Nightcrawler. And they did have a few lines together in X2 that were kind of interesting.

20. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    Yeah, in the same way Wolverine's past wasn't told in the first one, yet elaborated on in the second.

I wonder if the movie universe will see technology like the image holoprojector thing, masking Nightcrawler's appearance, or the danger room.

My guess is that we'll see BOTH the Phoenix plot and the sentinels, as the latter is a logical next step in the 'war' between humans and mutants and the former develops Jean Grey and Cyclops.

21. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    *Ahem* Quietly raises hand in the back of the room and asks. "Who's this Gambit you all are so ga-ga about?"

22. medleyoz

medleyoz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    Gambit is one of the coolest X-Men ever.
    He has the power to charge things he touches with kinetic energy making them explode.
    here is a bio of him.

i saw X2 on Sunday and I have to say it was awesome. I missed the Remy LeBeau on the computer screen though.

23. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    I caught Remy Lebeau's name on the monitor at first viewing. It was right above "Erik Lensherr(Magneto)'s" It would be cool to see Gambit in the next one.

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    As reported on Dark Horizons:

X3: Halle is out and Bryan will step to the side, Alan, Daniel, Shawn & Rebecca are back - what about Hugh Jackman then one has to wonder. The actor seems interested but won't commit fully as yet according to The Chicago Sun Times - "I'm sure they're planning 'X3,' and all I can say is I love this character. There's so much more meat on the bone than you would ever hope to get out of a movie like this and it's great fun. You have all the action, too. Of course, my agent says, 'Never say definitely yes, Hugh!". The article also hints at least one blooper we may see on the X2 DVD - Singer in a Jean Grey costume and Hugh smooching.

X2 : Mystique's big hacking scene into Deathstrike's computer has a whole bunch of other character references it seems to not only the X-Men but other Marvel franchises. Yesterday we went through the list of names she pulled up on the screen during the movie whilst trying to find Magneto's location. Keen observer 'Will' though managed to find more references though on the other screen where she brings up the 'Cerebro' file - "Listed there are files for Project: Wideawake which is the Sentinel Program, a file on Omega Red - the Soviet's answer to Weapon X/Wolverine, the Muir Island mutant research facillity home of Proteus and his mother Moira, and lastly there is a file on Franklin Richards the son of Reed and Sue Richards of "The Fantastic Four" (which is also set up at Fox) who is acknowleged as one of the most powerful mutants in the Marvel Universe". Well, there's something to freeze frame when the DVD release hits.

25. ReallyBoringGuy

ReallyBoringGuy Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2002
    I have a confession to make... I hate Gambit. I don't see why people like him so much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.