main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

X-Men 2 !!!!!SPOILERS!!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by sergejg, May 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beowulf

Beowulf Jedi Master star 5

May 28, 1999
    I think changing the idea of The Phoenix would be a bad idea...but that's just the comic geek in me.

2. CorranHalcyon

CorranHalcyon Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2000
    I don't like the idea of changing the Phoenix either, but it's the only practical option. I just hope they keep it a separate entity. As far as people complaining that adding characters is just an excuse for more special effects, I have to disagree. Certainly, it could be handled that way. However, I want to see Beast and Angel because they were founding members and are both interesting and important characters. Gambit hasn't been around as long, but he's still a remarkably interesting character and it's not as if anyone is suggesting he be given the star role.

3. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    Me, I just don't see how Singer can make the Phoenix into an alien entity and keep X-3 in line with the other movies, which are human and down-to-earth. The whole manifestation of Phoenix thing really really needs to be explained. I can understand why Singer didn't do that in X-2, it'd be too much foreshadowing, even someone who isn't a comic fanboy can see what's coming if he'd put too much into it in X-2. So now, the task of explaining Phoenix will have to be in X-3.

As far as people complaining that adding characters is just an excuse for more special effects, I have to disagree. Certainly, it could be handled that way. However, I want to see Beast and Angel because they were founding members and are both interesting and important characters

Sorry, but that's the comics, and unless you've been asleep all this while, the movies that Songer made are waaaaaaay different from the comics. Looking at the movies so far, I really don't see what Beast and Gambit and *insert some other random character* can add, aside for more FX.

4. CorranHalcyon

May 19, 2000
    I'm know the movies are different from the comics, and I know that members of the original team in the comics weren't part of the team in the movie. My point is that these characters are both important and interesting and I would like to see them in a movie. Just because the movies and comics different doesn't mean that it's unreasonable to hope for an appearance by an important comic book character.

5. sergejg

sergejg Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2002
    the X-men should stay on earth, I agree that the Phoenix story line should be altered so its "belivable". But what scares me is that in the intro of X2 there was a shot of space and Xavier told something about how earth had this mutants or something like that. Im begining to think that kind of space intro could have a relation to X3.

Beast and Angel should at least do a cameo just for nostalgic reasons. I mean they are the only founding members that still haven't apeared at all.

oh and by the way, since everybody is sugesting how their non related at all with the movie story line favorite characters (Gambit, Jubilee, etc) should have at least a dialoge like Colossus had, I suggest Psylocke or white queen. They are so sexy in the comics! hehehe. Besty or Emma Frost cameo please!!

6. CorranHalcyon

May 19, 2000
    I don't think it was space in the beginning. I think it was the astral plane, which would make more sense also.

7. sergejg

Sep 5, 2002
    but Xavier did mentioned something about "planet earth" or something like that.

If it was not refering to space then why not say Humans and mutants all over the world instead of making notice that we are all living in a planet floating in space?

8. Rogue_Granger

Rogue_Granger Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2003
    If anyone's interested the new Entertainment Weekly has an interview w/ Singer. He said he wants to do X# but wants to make a movie in between. He also mentioned Angel and Beast in the interview, and he mentioned Gambit, saying he would be a competitor for Rogue's affections.....

just thought you might want to know ;)

9. darthgetalife

darthgetalife Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 21, 2002
    FROM EW.COM :

Nothing spurs mutation like money. Still basking in the $155 million global opening for ''X2: X-Men United,'' Fox confirms that plans for a sequel are indeed in motion. But how exactly will it play out? ''X2'''s cliff-hanger ending saw the telekinetic Jean Grey (Famke Janssen) lay down her life for her friends. Or did she? Here, we present speculative answers to X-cruciating sequel questions.

What happens neXt? In the 1970s and '80s X-Men comics, Grey sacrifices herself to save her mutant comrades (as in ''X2''). She then rises, resurrected as Phoenix, a vessel of unlimited power. Eventually, she sacrifices herself again -- permanently -- to save the universe from an apocalypse of her own making.

Is this the blueprint for ''X3''? ''Wolverine's story is the fun one,'' says ''X2'' writer David Hayter, ''but the heart of the X-Men really revolves around what's happening to Jean and if we see her in the future.''

Here's the catch: For maximum impact, this story line requires all the X-ers. Janssen has signed on for another film. Which brings us to...

Who's coming back? ''Technically, I'm done,'' says Halle Berry, and boy, she sounds like she means it. The Oscar winner has made it no secret that she feels her character, Storm, has been marginalized; and with a career as busy as hers, she could easily afford to skip future ''X''s. The story might weather her departure, but could it afford to lose Hugh Jackman, whose Wolverine is in a love triangle with Grey and Cyclops (James Marsden, whose contract must also be renegotiated)? ''There's a lot to explore'' is all Jackman will say about ''X3.'' ''He's a very three-dimensional character.''

Ian McKellen (Magneto) also expresses guarded interest: ''If the script -- and my part in it -- were any good, and if I liked the director, and if, of course, I was asked, I should be happy to return.''

The X-kids -- Anna Paquin (Rogue), Aaron Stanford (Pyro), and Shawn Ashmore (Iceman) -- will return, but a ''Generation NeXt'' movie seems doubtful. Says director Bryan Singer: ''The two that are most essential would be Wolverine and Professor Xavier [Patrick Stewart].''

As for Singer, he's not actually signed, but he's assuming he'll be back. ''The only issue for me is, I'm desiring to do something in between. I had wanted to do something between the first two films and I didn't.'' He's already developing a Sci Fi Channel project with ''Independence Day'' producer Dean Devlin.

Will there be new mutants? Is Patrick Stewart bald? Singer can't tell us who or what will be in the next movie; but he's a big fan of the winged Angel, the azure-furred Beast, and the card-throwing Cajun Gambit -- who might present Iceman with some competition for the affections of Rogue, Singer hints.

When should I start standing in line? Right now, geek boy. And don't forget your glue-on muttonchops.
    ;)

10. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    [face_laugh] Is Singer aiming for a three hour X-3? 'Cos that's what he needs, judging by his ideas.

''Technically, I'm done,'' says Halle Berry, and boy, she sounds like she means it.

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!!!

[face_mischief]

11. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    I have to say that I for one am very worried about X3, it doesn't matter who is leaving when a character leaves and is changed to a different actor it makes the movie less believable and I just dont like it. As much as I would like to see Gambit, and Beast, I really think that they need to expand on the Pheonix saga. And if Wolverine doesn't come back, they might as well call it quits.

Forcebewitya!

12. GaNgStA

GaNgStA Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 27, 2003
    What an awesome flick. I gotta see this again. As a true fan of the comic (in my early years) I think this one remained true to its origins. I'm glad to see it wasn't entirely a Wolverine movie. Only a couple of things irked me.

At the beginning when Patrick Stewart does his opening monologue "Evolution! Blah Blah Blah..." it just seemed like he was rehashing his old Star Trek monologue "Space! The final blah blah goat..." I wonder if he was thinking, "Crap! I'm being type cast except for in this movie, I don't get to have sec" That's right boys and girls ***MAJOR SPOILER*** In this movie, Charles Xavier doesn't get to have sex!!! ***END SPOILER***

I won't moan about my other gripes because they would spoil a bit of the movie, but man was I glad to see some familiar mutants in there for cameos (ie Colosus, Shadow Cat, Artie, etc).

I wanna see this movie everyday until the Matrix Reloaded debuts.

C.J

13. KaineDamo

KaineDamo Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 6, 2002
    Well, its pretty obvious that Halle Berry ain't comin' back. So what do you think they're going to do with Storm? Replace the actress, or write Storm out of the story?

14. urgent_jedi_picnic

urgent_jedi_picnic Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003
    Personally, i'd write her out. Storm has never been one of my favorites. It would be easy enough too. They could say she left because she was upset about Jean and needed some "time". I'd like to see Beast, although i'm curious how they'll pull him off visually. I'd also like to see him without all the philosophy and literature quotes every other line, like the comics or 90's cartoon.

The Picnic :eek:

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  16. Ki-Adi Bundi

Ki-Adi Bundi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2000
    Quite funny [face_laugh]

17. sergejg

Sep 5, 2002
    ''Technically, I'm done,'' says Halle Berry, and boy, she sounds like she means it.

thank you Halle Berry, we (the fans) love your decision, hehehehe.

I agree, Storm should leave the X-men in the next movie, no need for her cheesy powers. Give us more screen time for Kitty Pride instead.

Hey somebody mentioned an "artie" cameo, who's that mutant?

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think he's the tongue boy.

19. Lurking_Around

May 26, 2002
    So what do you think they're going to do with Storm? Replace the actress, or write Storm out of the story?

Just write Storm out, give the much needed screentime to poor ol Cyclops [face_laugh] Heh, and since they don't need to pay Berry's salary, there'll be less worry about the budget for FX, no?

[face_mischief]

20. Ki-Adi Bundi

Ki-Adi Bundi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2000
    Agreed. God, how Berry's Storm sucks. She's the most uninsteresting X-man in the movies, IMO. Although I don't think this is just her fault. Bryan Singer is responsible to define how the characters are portrayed, their personlities and motivations in the movie, as he is the writer as well. But her acting still sucks, anyway.

21. RubberDuckyfromSpace

RubberDuckyfromSpace Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    What would be the point of Beast without all the philosophy and literature?

22. urgent_jedi_picnic

urgent_jedi_picnic Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003
    They could focus on his scientific attributes. And his brain power. With Jean "gone", they're down a "Doctor."

It would be easy to leave out quoting Plato every other line. That's like asking how they're going to write Wolverine without using the word "bub" too much.

I think that maybe, Beast could occassionally spit out some philosophy. I just don't want it to be every other word out of his mouth like the comic/cartoon.

The Picnic :eek:

23. sergejg

Sep 5, 2002
    Wow, just saw the gig reel link and it looks awesome!! I really hope all the material mekes it into the X2 dvd!!! seems like a lot of fun.

24. RubberDuckyfromSpace

RubberDuckyfromSpace Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    But that's one of the things I love about Beast, he doesn't quote things to sound smart or pretentious, he just does it.

25. sergejg

Sep 5, 2002
    I think dark beast is cooler.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.