X-Men 2 !!!!!SPOILERS!!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by sergejg, May 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CorranHalcyon Jedi Master

star 4
    Hmmm I was just thinking. Cyclops said that Jean hasn't been the same since Liberty Island. Well...she did shudder when the energy wave hit her in the first one. Maybe that's when the change occurred.
  2. a. block Force Ghost

star 1
    I think Bryan Singer said it was both the exposure at Liberty Island and what happened when she was in Cerebro.
  3. sergejg Jedi Knight

star 3
    So the Phoenix story is totally diferent then.
  4. Hunter's Luck Jedi Knight

star 1
    Can anyone tell me if there are any books that summarizes the X-Men stories and/or their characters, like an Essential Guide to Characters or an X-Men Encyclopedia?

Thanks!
  5. sergejg Jedi Knight

star 3
    In the offical Marvel Comics web site they have a "cerebrus" database on every X-men character with a lot of info on their more important events and current status.
  6. 1stAD Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Well, there's the Essential X-Men black and white trade paperbacks that are relatively inexpensive, those should get you through the major events up until the 90's.
  7. Nightowl TFN Timetales Writer

VIP
    star 4
    Dorling Kindersley has an EXCELLENT series of visual guides to several major comic book characters (X-Men, Spider-Man, Superman, Batman, Hulk, Justice League) that goes into detail on the characters, their universe, their histories etc. Only about 20 bucks each at any major bookstore.
  8. Hunter's Luck Jedi Knight

star 1
  9. 6-6-6 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Just a thought:

If during X2, when Xavier was being tricked into giving all mutants anurisms, the movie implied that Magneto was the only individual who could avoid this fate because he had a magical red helmet that looked like something from out of an old period movie.

So, if every mutant suddenly lost control and started writhing in pain, and Magneto was the only one who could avoid it, then why was Jason able to keep up the illusion he had created in Xaviers mind, and why was he not writhing around on the ground with the others?

Stryker didn't have the technology to make a helmet to counteract the attack, and even if he did then according to the comics he wouldn't have had the resources to construct a similar helmet to Magneto's. Also, Jason didn't have any sort of device on his head while he was in cerebro with Xavier, and being in the second Cerebro didnt protect him, so why was he able to last through Xavier's attack?

Was there any explination, or is this just a convenient plot hole which Singer either didn't notice or didn't try to explain?
  10. Lurking_Around Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Also, Jason didn't have any sort of device on his head while he was in cerebro with Xavier, and being in the second Cerebro didnt protect him, so why was he able to last through Xavier's attack?

Probably because Jason was asking Xavier to concentrate hard on mutants he was searching for in Cerebro. He didn't need to use Cerebro to detect Jason, the guy was next to him (albeit in the form of an illusion, the little girl). Thus, Cerebro's attacks were on the other mutants whom Xavier detected via Cerebro.

Essentially, the illusion that Jason created for Xavier was that only he and the little girl were there, there were no other mutants present. Thus Xavier has to use Cerebro to find the other 'missing' mutants. It is upon these other mutants that Xavier concentrated hard enough that he could kill them (as he told Wolverine earlier in the movie), but there was no need for him to concentrate on the girl (Jason) since the girl was there with him.

Magneto of course was immmune because his helmet was designed to prevent Cerebro from detecting him (why can't he make another one for Mystique??? Is it because he wants this sort of protection only for himself, so that he alone can have this edge? Certainly in the first movie, he didn't extend such protection to his other minions, thus Xavier was able to detect Sabretooth attacking Rogue and Wolverine, and sent Storm and Cyclops to the rescue). And as the first movie pointed out, Magneto would know how to pretect himself from Cerebro because he built it with Xavier, he knows how the thing works.
  11. TheFallen Jedi Master

star 4
    I think it's just that Magneto wanted it all for himself. I loved Ian McKellen's portrayal, though - is there nothing the man can't do? :) "We love what you've down with your hair." [face_devil]

And from the point of view of a Cyke fan - if he doesn't show up for the entire length of X3, I'm going to beat up the clerk, the ticket-tearer, the concession workers, and then move on to Hollywood. If people don't like him, I think it's more of the fact that the writers made him that way - and it looks like some writer has a childhood issue with the character and keeps giving him crap. If X3 is based on Phoenix - which I'm thinking it undoubtedly will, at this point - there would be no reason why he wouldn't have a huge part it in.

I like the movie's explanation a lot better, actually. Since the movie is basing everything in a more "real" environment, it's a lot more grounded than an alien is possessing Jean.

tf
  12. sergejg Jedi Knight

star 3
    Talking about Cyclops, I was just looking at some pics from the first X-men issue and when Professor X introduces everybody to Jean he actually says Cyclops name is something like Slim Summers, not Scott. Does anybody knows shy they changed the name to Scott? and in what issue?
  13. Drac39 Force Ghost

star 6
    Well Jason had been tampered with with surgery,and chemicals into the brain. So maybe this could explain
  14. 1stAD Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Slim was a nickname, IIRC.
  15. Alrowen Jedi Knight

star 1
    "Yeah,Jean Grey 'dies'.But she evolves into the Pheonix and has more power and is awsome in X-Men 3.I can't wait.I just heard she is thinking twice about going back for X-Men 3.
    COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    Alrowen Falckon
  16. Soothsayer Force Ghost

star 4
    Does anyone know the name of the song at the beginning when Nightcrawler is going after the president.
  17. Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling

star 5
    In some alternate future when Jean and Scott and their son Nathan(baby Cable) had to hide from Apocalypse, Scott used the alias Slim, and Jean was called Redd, I think.
  18. Drac39 Force Ghost

star 6
    Does anyone have some good pictures of Stryker? I`m making icons for my forum All ready checked imdb
  19. sergejg Jedi Knight

star 3
    Saint_of_Killers, but Cable is not Jean's son, the parents are Scott and Madelyn Pryor (as far as I know). That's interesting, that Scott used the nickname Slim again. Must be kind of a tribute to the original writers of the X-men.

They should definatley consider a story involving the future and the sentinels or apocalypse for X4.
  20. Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Jean, clone of Jean, same difference :p
  21. Darth_Rogue Jedi Master

star 4
    I liked the X-Men films too! I've never read any of the comics but I saw the X-Men cartoon that they use to pass on Fox and I've been a fan ever since. I've even seen some episodes of X-Men: Evolution. I agree that there are some things that remind me of Star Wars. Pyro going bad reminds is like Anakin turning to the dark side. Jean Grey's abilities are pretty much that of the Jedi(except she can't see the future and of course she dosen't use a lightsabre) and something about her personality reminds me of Padme. Phoenix coming to Jean when she is on the brink of death and saving her life makes me think of the force keeping Vader alive.

I love Gambit I hope he's in X3. I've also noticed how they've changed Rogue's personality. In the cartoons she seems to have this badass attitude, but in the movies she acts like a shy,quiet, girl but I guess she still has this little girl lost quality to her. I love it when she uses her powers I hope we see her kick more ass in X3. And of course who dosen't love Wolverine, his personality reminds me of Han Solo except Wolverine's a lot more dark and tortured. I hope that in X3 we see Wolverine discover all of his past.
  22. Rogue_Granger Jedi Master

star 4
    At the San Diego Comic-Con, Halle Berry said she wanted to come back, and asked the fans to write to 20th century to give her a bigger part.

that's all we need...more Storm... [face_plain]
  23. 1stAD Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Storm is a great character.

However, in the movies, she is worse than Cyclops.
  24. dehrian Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I thought she sucked in the first one, but actually enjoyed her in the sequel. If they use her right, I wouldn't mind her having more to do.
  25. Lurking_Around Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    At the San Diego Comic-Con, Halle Berry said she wanted to come back, and asked the fans to write to 20th century to give her a bigger part

Gee, I wonder what I should write?

"Dear studio executive, please ensure that Halle Berry is in the next X-Men movie. Not only that, but give her a bigger part! I can never get tired of her bad acting. Truly, what the next movie needs is more of Halle Berry's bad acting. Sincerely, the fan."

[face_plain] [face_plain] [face_plain]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.