main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

X-Men 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by THE_MISSING_TRIPLET, May 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Do we know why Vaughn left ?

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Personal issue he needed to resolve apparently.

And AICN is reporting now that the new director may be either John Moore (Behind Enemy Lines, Flight of the Phoenix) or Brett Ratner (who might be likely since he wasrumored at one point but couldn't do it because of Rush Hour 3, which just fell apart due to Chris Tucker, so he'd be free).

3. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Brett Ratner was one of the first directors I thought of when Vaughn stepped down. Like you said now that Rush Hour 3 has fallen apart he's a possible contender.

4. master_organa

master_organa Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 5, 2004
    Well, this could be interesting: http://www.darkhorizons.com/news05/050602c.php

Who will die? Who will have sex?

So many questions, so little time.

5. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Continuity. So long as the original cast returns and they bring in new and interesting mutants I shall be happy. Death and sex couldn't hurt either.

My guess is the sex will be from Rogue and Iceman and the death will be from... Magneto.

6. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I don't know, from the sound of that report it seems like the sex thing could be a scene that's unexpected or controversial in its own right. I'm guessing Rogue and someone older (preferably Gambit, but more likely Logan.)

7. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Three major deaths planned, eh ? I can see the fanboys tightening the nooses around their necks already...

8. 7-7-7

7-7-7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 15, 2002
    Wait...how is it possible for Rogue to have sex with anyone without killing them? It just don't make good sense. Unless, of course, it's Rogue who ends up losing her powers, although Jean is a weak contender for that role.

Anyone want to speculate on who the three deaths are going to be? Without knowing anything else about the story, I'd go with Storm, Magneto, and Mistique, because I can't see X kicking the bucket, but it's not the first time that the films have tried something new and different.

9. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    I would say Storm would be one of the characters to die. Halle Berry is always complaining how she doesn't get enough screen time so they could kill her off to get rid of her.

Having now read the article it looks like X-Men 3 is heading into Revenge of the Sith/The Empire Strikes Back territory. A very dark film.

Bring it on.

10. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    I agree, Storm is a good choice. I remember her 'dying' in the comics back in the day, only to come back a couple of months later as a pre-pubescent. Hopefully this time they kill her for good, though. Berry adds absolutely nothing to the role.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    No way they'd kill Magneto- him and X are the cornerstones of the franchise, with Wolvie in the middle.

Controversial death? I'd say Nightcrawler since he hit off well with audiences.

What if Pheonix offs Cylops?

Pyro and Iceman will have a showndown I'm betting- perhaps one of them will kick it.

Rogue could have sex with anyone, as long as they got some kind of body condom rigged. However, she's not smart enough (or desperate enough) to think of that. (though I'd imagine the basic act could be accomplished with a standard condom or one slightly modified condom, if they were careful not to touch anything else)

12. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Body condom makes me think of that scene with Leslie Nielsen and Priscilla Presley in The Naked Gun. [face_laugh]

13. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001
    I only said Magneto because Ian McKellan is getting older. Plus his character is somewhat preventing other major mutant villains from taking screen time. I love how Magneto is portrayed on screen, but after X3, it will be time for him to step aside with the ultimate destruction of the brotherhood. Or at least take him out of the villain scene. Have his role reduced after X3 if any others are to be made.

14. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Didn't Rogue have sex with Gambit in the comics?
    I never got that issue, and would like to know how that happened.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>Body condom makes me think of that scene with Leslie Nielsen and Priscilla Presley in The Naked Gun.<<

True, but hey, if that was the only way, I think it's a safe* bet you'd go for it ;)

*no pun intended ;)

16. SheLeftMeForAWookiee

SheLeftMeForAWookiee Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2005
    I hope Brett Ratner gets the director's chair for X3.

Brian Singer took Superman from Ratner, so I'm sure Ratner should be capable enough to handle Singer's X-men series. Plus, Ratner is a great movie-maker. Rush-Hour 3 fell through, so X-3 is good substitute.

17. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I hope Brett Ratner gets the director's chair for X3.

Brian Singer took Superman from Ratner, so I'm sure Ratner should be capable enough to handle Singer's X-men series. Plus, Ratner is a great movie-maker. Rush-Hour 3 fell through, so X-3 is good substitute.

:D Oh wait, you were serious? Allow me to laugh harder. [face_laugh]

Ratner's crap. After the Sunset . . .crap. Red Dragon. . .crap. Rush Hour 2. . .crap. I'll admit the first Rush Hour was vaguely amusing. Singer's hardly the greatest filmmaker of all time, but at least he's consistently interesting and occasionally great. Ratner's not the worst director in Hollywood, but he's not very good. I hope beyond hope that they get somebody with some style and an interesting vision to do X3 rather than someone who'll turn out a standard boring Hollywood crap project.

18. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Who would you recommend, Mas ?

19. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Wow, it never dawned on me that Ratner directed Red Dragon. Not the most thrilling film I?ve seen, mind you, but certainly enough of an improvement over Hannibal that I wouldn?t call it crap. I?m not sure he?d be the most viable option for the X-Men franchise, however. I wish Whedon didn?t have his hands full at the moment.

20. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    It's a pity that Joss Weadon is so busy...

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Whedon wouldn't do it unless he could write, IIRC.

Ratner's not that bad of a director- I haven't seen After the Sunset, but Red Dragon was fairly top notch and Rush Hour 2 was an improvement over Rush Hour 1.

22. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    Qui-Gon "Ratner is headstrong and has much to learn about the living force, but he is capable."

23. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    I liked Red Dragon, too, actually.

24. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    I liked Red Dragon probably the best out of the 4. A huge improvement from the horrible Manhunter.

25. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001
    From Entertainment Weekly regarding X3.

Fox's Marvel-ous band of mutant freedom fighters have done their fair share of evolving lately. After original helmer Bryan Singer opted to direct Superman, Mathew Vaughan (Layer Cake) stepped in...and then stepped out. An X-insider says Vaughan wanted to stay in Britain (X3 starts shooting in Vancouver in August). With Fox determined to meet a Memorial Day 2006 release, Rush Hour's Brett Ratner was quickly hired to shoot a script on which he had no input. "Other directors might have been wary. But Brett is very confident," says producer Avi Arad. Adds Ratner: "It wasn't like there were any mistakes to clean up. It was all fantastic." The entire X-cast returns, including Hugh Jackman (now also a producer; the star endorsed Ratner) and Halle Berry (in an expanded role). Joining them: Kelsey Grammer as a furry blue genius named Beast.

So we have filming set to start in 2 months. Storm is going to have an expanded role. Not sure how I feel about that since Phoenix should be the number one female in this flick. It says all the X-Cast are set to return. I hope that's true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.