main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph X-Men Comics General Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by one_armed_scissor_14, May 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. one_armed_scissor_14

one_armed_scissor_14 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2005
    I noticed in the index that there wasn't a thread for general discussino of the X-books that come out every month. There was one for Astonishing, but that leaves out the other two mainstays, the reversioning (Ultimiate), and the spinoffs and side projects that come around from time to time. Therefore, I thought it would be interesting to discuss them.

Just so we're up to date, the newest ones are:

UXM 473
    XM 186
    ASTO 14
    ULT 70

I don't know about the others, they can probably just be discussed at random.

2. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Don't forget about:

New X-Men #26
    New Excalibur #7
    X-Factor #7
    Exiles #81

3. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    I gave up on everything but Astonishing due to financial restraints and general disinterest in the other books. Brubaker to Uncanny intrigues me slightly, but Deadly Genesis was mediocre at best, so it'll take some major buzz to get me back on that.

Also, what's the deal with the New Excalibur writing situation? Is Claremont even going to be able to come back?

4. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Can those acronyms be expanded in the first post? I'm not familiar with the X-Men series, or why they call it the male gender with fems in it too.

5. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    My guesses:

UXM 473 = Uncanny X-Men 473
    XM 186 = X-Men 186
    ASTO 14 = Astonishing X-Men 14
    ULT 70 = Ultimate X-Men 70

6. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    I've only been following(sorta) Astonsing X-MEN, mostly because of Emma Frost. I think she's a great character.

7. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002

Yup, those are right. I forgot to mention I still get Ultimate X-Men, but I consider that to be in its own little world, so I didn't lump it in with Uncanny and Astonishing like that.

8. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    Technically (my bad), only the first of those is considered the upper echelon/ongoing series.

Since when is X-Factor continuing? EDIT: My bad, I confused it with X-Force.

I just recently got back in, and I only follow the main ones: X-Men, Uncanny, Astonishing...(Ultimate).

Okay, if I can only buy 6 a month, what others are recommended?

9. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Well I figured they were at least mentioning because there are a bunch of characters from the upper-tier X-Men books that make appearences in the others. And they may not be the flagship titles but Exiles and X-Factor are definetly my favorite X-books going on right now. Although, Exiles isn't populated by only X-men like it used to be now that Power Princess and Spider-Man 2099 joined the team.

10. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
  11. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    So, how does anyone feel about the change in writers in Uncanny and X-men? I'm kind of mad that Claremont has to go, but I'm ready for a change in X-men.

12. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    Claremont's ill anyway, so he would have been gone regardless. Milligan never clicked on X-Men, his style is far more suited to something like X-Statix where he can let his sense of humor out. When he's forced to play it straight, it comes out as forced. Of course, I dropped both titles a while back though, neither were terrible it's just I needed to cut back. The change in writers is an approprite one, IMO. Now let's see if Carey and Brubaker can do something positive here.

13. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    Yeah, agreed on all counts.

So what titles do you still buy, I'm interested in knowing? I know, I don't even buy all 8 titles each month.

14. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Does anyone know if Claremont is still going to write Exiles anytime in the near future? I remember reading a while back that that was his next project after Uncanny X-Men and that he was going to bring 616 Psylocke onto the team. Although it looks as if that may not be happening now. :(

15. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    Not right now. He's handed off New Excalibur to...just forgot the name. Uncanny starting last month (473) was only plotted by him, and Exiles retains its writer. Marvel is trying to put a "for now..." spin on this, so I'm really hoping that they're right. I freaking love Psylocke. As a matter of fact...I love the whole damn Uncanny X-Men team, and I'm just getting into Exiles. And I'll be damned if Marvel hasn't convinced me that I need to read X-Factor.

But anyway, just to get an idea, about how much per month do fans such as the ones reading this spend on X-men comics?

There's no shame.

16. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    I only buy Astonishing and Ultimate X-Men now. As for Exiles, Frank Tieri is eventually taking over (after Chris Yost's two issue fill-in), here's a recent interview about that at Newsarama: Frank Tieri interview

Marvel is still playing this as a temporary thing, although the longer it drags out the more suspicious I become if Claremont is ever coming back...

17. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Thanks.

I currently buy Ultimate, Astonishing, New X-Men, X-Factor, and Exiles. I generally wait for trades on X-Men and Uncanny. I'll probobly pick up the New Excalibur trade as well, if only for Nocturne. [face_love]

18. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    I do almost the same, except I don't care about New Excalibur and I buy Uncanny.

19. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    From the three issues I read of it before I dropped it, it seemed to me that New Excalibur didn't have a real point. It seemed to be only A) "Hey, it's mutants in England!" and B) a vehicle for Chris Claremont to write on. The main selling point was Claremont anyway, which tells me that if he doesn't come back, it won't last much longer.

20. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    I thought the same, some ass told me it was the Genosha one and I thought about buying it, which was a waste of my brain. Anyway, Black Tom's back, but who cares?

21. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    The Excalibur series that took place on Genosha was a solid "meh" in my book. Nothing that spectacular really happened. All it really seemed to do was link up New X-Men and Avengers Dissasembled and to set up House of M.

22. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    Is the power princess in exiles the same as the one in squadron supreme?

23. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    She's from the original Squadron Supreme, not the newer version from Supreme Power.

24. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    I think I've been convinced to buy New X-men (after this next story ends) and X-Factor (starting with #7) in addition to the core books.

The jury's still out (the $ jury, that is) on Exiles, because once Astonishing goes monthly again I'll have even less.

25. one_armed_scissor_14

Oct 24, 2005
    Does anyone not know the new lineups that are going to happen at the shift? I have the prospective lists, and a promise from Whedon that characters will come and go soon, but that either way, it will not be pretty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.