main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

X-Men: First Class (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by The2ndQuest , Dec 17, 2009.

1. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Was that bartender he murdered a Nazi too? I got the impression he was just a local but I can't be too sure since I was concentrating mostly on my popcorn during that scene.

2. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    If he wasn't a Nazi he knew he was sheltering them.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Erik was definitely portrayed as heroic- he's the Wolverine of this movie, the one with the dark past who tries to better himself...he just doesn't have the happy-ish ending of Logan in that regards.

But we're clearly meant to be rooting for him in a revenge movie/James Bond type of way, up until the end.

4. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2002
    Was anyone else really bothered by Moira MacTaggert being turned into an American CIA agent? Of all the random bizarro changes to make to the story, why that one?

5. dante144

dante144 Jedi Master star 1

May 26, 2005
    I was totally thinking the same thing... bad choice of words!

6. PirateofRohan

PirateofRohan Jedi Master star 3

Dec 11, 2009
    Not to take the role of the optimistic hippie, but depending on the plots potential sequels have, the continuity errors could all be retconned. I'll even come up with most of them if I have to. We might have to consider screwing Wolverine, but even the next Wolverine movie is ignoring that, so I don't think that's a big deal. As to the issue with Havok, that's not really an error, I mean, I don't think it was ever stated in the films that Alex is Scott's brother. I know that's how it was in the comics, but the films are a whole different continuity. I'm going to stop talking now before I start offending people.

7. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Welcome to Fox's X-Men movies. Where arbitrary changes rule supreme!

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I agree that most of the problems could be resolved in a sequel- but since they had no idea going into this movie that there would be sequels, that makes for a poor effort as far as that goes.

9. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Wow, that was disappointing.
    The cast was OK, but the story was meh, and the effects looked really 2nd rate compared to all the previous ones. I think the flying was probably the least convincing effect in there. Beast make-up was very let-down after X-3.
    Overall, it feels like a cheap, low-budget effort to try to rake in a little extra cash into the franchise.
    This sucker needed a lot more work, and didn't get it.
    What, no extra scene after the credits? Wow, they just didn't even try to fit it in with the rest of the marvel movies.
    Did Stan Lee even get his cameo?

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    No cameo, but then he didn't cameo in X2 or Wolverine either. Though the X2 thing was back when he had his (now-abandoned) I-only-cameo-in-the-first-movie-of-a-series-not-the-sequels policy. Not sure why he didn't show up in Wolverine but I know he wasn't asked to appear in First Class.

As for the other Marvel movies, X-Men is separate from the Avengers & other Marvel Studios properties, as Fox owns the movie rights to them. Thus, they won't connect with Iron Man or Thor, etc or even Spider-Man (since that's owned by Sony).

However, it's more troubling that, unless the sequel to First Class explains some things away, First Class doesn't mesh well with even the other X-Men movies.

11. Magellan_the_Cat

Jul 21, 2003
    I meant only that there is usually a scene after the credits and a cameo.

I could forgive the "not meshing well", if the result was a good movie. Sadly, this is only a mediocre movie. It could (and should) have been so much better. glad I didn't waste $10 for the theater seat.

12. PirateofRohan

Dec 11, 2009
    Personally, I thought the movie was awesome. All the effects to me seemed, I don't know, grounded, I guess. They seemed like they could really happen. Now, grant you, Scott at least should have been in the movie, but that didn't happen, so we gotta move on. Honestly, I'm kinda hoping for Polaris to appear, But that might screw things up more then they already are. If you think about it though, Scott, Jean, and Ororo were his first students of the ones left at the school; of the X-Men.

13. Magellan_the_Cat

Jul 21, 2003
    The only good thing I can say about this movie is that now X3 isn't the worst movie in the franchise.

Wasn't it a clue when the director said "I like this script, but if I'm going to make the movie, I have to completely rewrite the script".
    Beast make-up looks awful. Is that really the best they could do? Compare it with the X3 beast. Granted a completely different (and much better) actor. It just looks crappy.
    And the flying... OK, having the actor in front of greenscreen on a harness was better than the CGI angel, but not by much.
    I can't think of a single FX shot or effect that I liked the look of.

I would rather they not made the movie, than have them make the 1/2-assed hash that this was.

(same with x3, but I was able to get some modicum of enjoyment from that, and the soundtrack was ok)

14. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Personally I found this to be the best X-Men movie. Perhaps because it's really the only X-Men movie we've got since EVERY single other one was all about Wolverine.

15. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Watch the extras. It was harness work, but most not in front of a green screen.....

16. Magellan_the_Cat

Jul 21, 2003
    I did.
    The effect looked like crap. Greenscreen or live, it was totally unconvincing.
    C'mon, Babylon 5 did a better job with Sheridan being floated down by Kosh, and that was made back in '97? '98?
    Vitualy every wire-fu movie does a better job of people flying. The technique hasn't changed much since the 1800s, but in X:FC, it looked fake and unconvincing.

But as I said, all of the effects did. I expect the local community college would have been able to engineer a better, more believable effect.

17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Me too! I even pictured Ledger's Joker popping into frame and quipping "Very poor choice of words!"

18. PirateofRohan

Dec 11, 2009
    I must disagree. First off, except for maybe 5 shots at the beginning, Banshee definitely looked like he was flying for real. All of the effects looked fake? If you recall, most of the effects in this film are pretty darn similar to effects seen in the previous three X-Men movies. Now, I'll grant you that the scene of Alex and Sean flying over the water wasn't quite up to par, but to say that all the effects were fake is just some serious nit-picking in my view, my friend.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Angel's flying in FC I didn't have a problem with- I thouyght she actually looked pretty cool in some of her shots. Banshee's looked terrible most of the time- only a few shots did the physics/gliding aspect seem plausible.

20. Magellan_the_Cat

Jul 21, 2003
    Maybe I'm just not as good at suspending disbelief.
    None of the flying shots convinced me.
    I was not nearly as impressed by any of the effects in FC as I was with the first movie.

Amazing cast, weak story, mediocre direction, sub-par FX. Asylum flicks normally have better (or at least equal) quality effects than FC did.

Weeks later, the Beast make-up design still makes me cringe.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's being reported that Matthew Vaughn is confirmed for the First Class sequel, with Singer producing and Simon Kinberg scripting.

22. PirateofRohan

Dec 11, 2009
    Yes! That is awesome! Well, to me anyway.