Amph X-Men: Messiah Complex

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by chiss_man, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chiss_man Force Ghost

star 6
    It's the first major X-title crossover in many years, and it seems set to deliver with Ed Brubaker and Mike Carey heading the writing staff. Chapter One dropped last Wednesday in the form of the Messiah Complex one-shot, and while it didn't reveal much that hadn't already been revealed in advance solits, it was still a great set-up issue. So here we go! Mr. Sinister! Marauders! Acolytes! Purifiers! [face_dancing]
  2. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    Maybe they'll make Magneto into Xorn again and say that everything that happened after New X-Men was just a bad dream.

Also Cyclops is mutant Jesus.

Mr Sinister is reveled to be this guy
  3. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    I've heard rumors about the possible return of Jean Grey and/or The Phoenix in this event. I really hope they aren't true. Other than that I'm optimistic about this X-Over. I already get the 4 books being used every month (X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, New X-Men, and X Factor) so it doesn't affect my budget at all, which is a nice for a change.
  4. chiss_man Force Ghost

star 6
    I actually only buy Uncanny and adjectiveless (well, Astonishing too but that's more a rumor nowadays than a comic), so it would be extra to get the full crossover here for me. I intend to just read the others in stores and go online for the extra info on those two other series; I'd love to be able to buy them all but money is too precious to give away lightly. :(
  5. Darth_Sabith Jedi Master

star 4
    I gave up on X-men when they became an offical law enforcement group and the fact they bring the phinox back 3 times a year just to kill her off each time.
  6. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    I highly recommend reading X-Factor. With the exception of Astonishing (which is due out this week BTW) X-Factor is hands down the best X-book out there. Sure it's full of B and C listers but Peter David's writing is some of the best of his career. A perfect blend of noir, comedy, action, and drama.
  7. chiss_man Force Ghost

star 6
    I have the first trade of X-Factor actually which I enjoyed very much. Like I said, it's much more a financial decision than anything else. I'm a poor college student after all. :p
  8. Sith_Sensei__Prime Force Ghost

star 5
    I like the first Chapter of the Messiah Complex. It was pretty horrific what occured in that small town where all the children were killed. Well, all except the one baby.

I this concept of the mutant race being near extinction as it creates real compelling drama and intense situations. Hopefully the storyline will just get better and not fizzle out.
  9. chiss_man Force Ghost

star 6
    The main problem though is that the Decimation happened more than a year ago now (in the real world). By all rights, stuff like Endangered Species and all this probably should have been going on right after, instead of the writers (besides Peter David) basically ignoring it up until recently so that they could tell their own stories first (adventures in Shi'ar space anyone?). But I'm still optimistic about this for the reasons you just gave.
  10. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    I agree that Endagered Species should have happened sooner after Decimation but if Messiah Complex turns out to be a game changers (which Marvel is very fond of saying EVERYTHING is) then I'm glad it didn't happen immedietly so we had some time to see the mutant community dealing with the post M-Day world. I just hope that by the time Messiah Complex is over the effects of Scarlett Witch's "No More Mutants" isn't undone. I'm really liking the post M-Day world.
  11. Sith_Sensei__Prime Force Ghost

star 5
    I agree with Darth Lando with the timing of the Messiah Complex. The Mutant race was/is in dire straits.

But getting back to the Messiah Complex, I'm not sure why there wasn't any investigation by the X-Men into the parents of the first mutant born after M-Day. I mean, that would be a logical place to breaking Wanda's spell. Beast could have stay behind and further research.

12. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    That hospital looked pretty destroyed. Both the Purifiers and the Mauraders did a pretty good job of destroying everything in their sight. I doubt much information could be recovered. Besides, as Part 2 mentions, Beast was busy working with Prof. X fixing Cerebra and probably didn't even know about the mission until it got back. Part 2 was pretty decent. More build up as they bring X-Factor into the story. I kind of feel bad for Xavier though. He has no official place in the X-Men anymore since Cyclops has been in full leadership mode for years now. I forsee him trying to wrest control away from Cyclops ever so slowly to take back leadership of "his" X-Men.
  13. chiss_man Force Ghost

star 6
    Something is up with the Professor though, he had that evil look in the one shot and something seemed off in this issue as well...
  14. NJOfan215 Force Ghost

star 5
    I really like the current crop of x books. I started reading all 4 books for endanged species. I also got caught up on x factor and new x men, which i wasn't regularly reading. I was missing out, these two books are the best of the 4.

Messiah complex itself has been awesome so far.
  15. NJOfan215 Force Ghost

star 5
    For all of you that read endanegred species, did anyone else think beast may have been looking at things from the wrong angle? I wonder why he didn't look at why the mutants that still had their powers still had them? This might have yeilded information on how their powers were removed, which could have led to information on how to reverse the process.
  16. chiss_man Force Ghost

star 6
    Besides the fact that they were mostly A-listers who kept their powers? But I see what you're getting at, it's like when one studies a disease in a community or something. Sometimes you learn more about it from the ones immune to it than the ones infected, and that works here for the "No more mutants" angle as well.
  17. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    For some reason I remember hearing that the "survivors" of M-Day kept their powers because as Wanda did her thing Dr. Strange and Emma Frost reached out and somehow protected every mutant they could find. This explains why just about every "good guy" mutant present at that final battle of House of M kept their powers. I have no memory of where I read this but it makes sense to me.
  18. NJOfan215 Force Ghost

star 5
  19. Axle-Starweilder Force Ghost

star 6
    i like how they made gambit a bad guy.
  20. chiss_man Force Ghost

star 6
    They didn't, Peter Milligan did when he turned him into Apocalypse's Horseman Death. I did like how in the latest issue of X-Men Gambit's feelings for Rogue still shined through though.
  21. Sith_Sensei__Prime Force Ghost

star 5
    Perhaps Professor X is a Skull, he hee. Thought I'd throw that out there after reading the final issue of The Illuminati. I think it's an interesting dynamic to the X-Men to have Prof. X taking a back seat to Cyclops.

Reading the final episode of Endangered Species, that was Wanda at the cafe that Beast was talking to, right?

As far as Rogue... I hope she'll be able to rid herself of the millions of souls trapped in her. That really sucks.
  22. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Newsarama had it with their interviews with Bendis, Breveroot (sp) and Quesada.
  23. chiss_man Force Ghost

star 6
    Anything interesting happen in this weeks X-Factor?
  24. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    Messiah Complex Part 3

The book opens with Rictor infiltrating the Purifiers while Madrox and Layla go to visit Forge who has built a time machine that can go to possible futures. They've found only 2 futures that don't have mutants extinct in them. So Jaimie sends a dupe to each future. At the last second Layla runs forward and grabs onto the 2nd dupe and travels with him. This is when Forge says that it's a one way journey and the dupes had secret orders to kill themselves once they had accomplished their scouting mission. This would transmit their memories to the original Madrox. Meanwhile the X-Men continue to hunt down some more Acolytes who tells them where to find the Marauders and the New X-Men complain to Cyclops that they don't get to do anything.

Pieces are still being moved into play and it's difficult to see exactly where the story is going at this point. It is entertaining and very well written though, but that's to be expected from Peter David.
  25. chiss_man Force Ghost

star 6
    Ah, so it's still in set up mode. Got it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.