main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph X-Men Movies & TV - Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Oct 6, 2010.

1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I'm pretty sure it was Jim Lee's idea, and one of the many things that led to Claremont leaving the titles.

2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I think most people image of Psylocke is Jim Lee's version, which I don't have a problem with. And I don't think that's the reason why Claremont left the X-Men titles.

As far as the Warren Worthington III's timeline/continuity issues, I think Fox is doing the right thing and just ignoring them. The only ones that really care about that are the fanboys. The average movie audience is not going to care and I don't think fanboys should care either since most them panned X3: The Last Stand anyways. Fox ignoring the issues gives them the ability to tell a better story and use the characters they need to do so.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    I've yet to see an artist who doesn't draw every character in a way that's either 'this character is really physically attractive' or 'this character is not physically attractive'

4. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I don't think you understand the term "cheesecake".

5. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    lern2red!11! It was one of the reasons. His loss of control over where the storylines were going was a big factor... well, was the main reason.

6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, I remember reading that Claremont was having creative restrictions with Marvel, as Marvel wanted to give Grant Morrison a crack at the X-Men, which I don't think it was a bad thing.

Anyway, since Fox is ignoring the continuity of X-3 in regards to Angel's timeline/age, I wish they would do the same thing with Rogue. I think she needs a reboot as much as Scott, Ororo and Jean.

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Morrison didn't work at Marvel until after 2000. The issue was that Marvel wanted to X-Men books and Claremont wasn't into that. Spin off books were one thing, but two concurrent books was where he drew the line. There was more as he was having trouble with Bob Harras, who was the editor at the time. Claremont's issues with Morrison was that Morrison had Magneto be absolutely evil with his being revealed as Xorn and then causing Jean Grey's death, which lead to Logan decapitating Mags. Claremont felt that was out of character and later wrote that it was an imposter, which then lead to a whole weird arc explaining things. By that point, Morrison was back at DC working on "52" and Batman.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  8. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    There are myriad ways to look at Claremont's stance on things. You could say that at the the time he was a bit of a prima donna since he had been scripting most of the X-Universe for nearly 16 years, and you could easily assume that as more books came out and different creative teams started dipping their toes in his pond, he might have started taking umbrage with the situation. I wager that that dissatisfaction was exacerbated by the more frequent yearly or even semi-annual inter-franchise crossovers, where he - just like any other writer - had to put on hold or otherwise hastily conclude storylines running through his books in order to collaborate with said other creative teams on stories not necessarily of his making or approval. I figure things came to a head in 1991 with the launch of the new Jim Lee book, where the soon to become upstart Image founder was getting top billing over him and that was that. Adios, X-books. I know he eventually returned many years later (just prior to Morrison's run IIRC) and even got to pen several offshoots too, but the cool reception they got pretty much spoke about how his time was past. And truth be told, his writing style was insufferable at that point.

But...you could definitely notice the not-exactly-for-the-better change when he was gone. I suppose it was inevitable and the guy wasn't going to live and write the books forever. But to me the particular voice - and magic - the X-Men had held faded away when that happened. And then we had to suffer many years of really ******* stories penned by truly ******* writers (I won't mention names, those hacks know who they are). But what can you do eh? Mutatis mutandis and all that.

EDIT: Ninja'd by sinister. Yeah, too true in regards to Claremont's relationship with Bob Harras. But I didn't think his writing the two X-Men books was such a dealbreaker for him.

9. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I know that Claremont was not happy that he had to kill off Jean Grey and then he was upset when X-Factor launched and had Scott leave Madelyne Pryor and Nathan Summers behind to join the team and be with Jean. He had intended for Scott to go into semi-retirement, with his coming back to help for certain stories. Then Bob Layton, Kurt Busiek and editorial changed all that. So there was a lot of issues coming over time that lead to his departure.

As to his replacements. Lobdell and Nicieza weren't bad writers per say. But they were really subject to Marvel editorials whims. I recall that Lobdell had said at one point that he had intended for the traitor arc to have been concluded much sooner than it happened, but Marvel kept delaying it until "Heroes Reborn" came about. Same with the Legacy Virus.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  10. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Lobdell and Nicieza get a bad rap, but they weren't that bad; it's just that the completely dissociation with Claremont's 15 years long story arc felt extremely jarring and that the crazy X-Over schedule didn't let them finish one damn storyline without interference. But Lobdell tried to update the X-Men's rogues gallery while remaining faithful to the main concepts (moving from Hellfire Club to Upstarts, Evil Brotherhood to Acolytes, or Sentinels to Operation Zero Tolerance) and focused on character more than in action, for example. Considering the hand they were dealt, they played it pretty well.

11. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Ok, fair enough. It's been awhile and I forget that the editorial powers that be could and did have a hand in some of the crap that went on in the 90's. I admit that Lobdell and Nicieza (especially that guy, who at the time seemed to be writing 10 books a month) did have their moments when not in the midst of the semi annual crossover event.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  12. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Gamiel likes this.
  13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I would love X-23 to take the Wolverine baton from Logan. One, Laura Kinney could fill the void left by Katniss/Hunger Games and Two, she's badass character that has any many demons to deal with as Logan.

The Target X would be a great storyline to transition in Laura from Logan as it's sort of an origin story and a there's a poignant meeting between X-23 and Wolverine.

Gamiel likes this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    If Jackman's last outing isn't "Old Man Logan" then I think that's a missed opportunity. It HAS to be! (Yes, it kinda locks into continuity that Hugh Jackman was Wolverine for decades but, dammit, it'd be an amazing way to go out.) It would have to take some rejigging of the source materiel, all of the Marvel Universe stuff would have to become X-Universe stuff, but the core story I think would be a great finale.

15. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i wonder if they might put other X-Men in his last Wolverine movie.

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    No it dose not. There is no good reason to film Old Man Logan since it is not realy a good story line.

17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I hope they do cool things with Cyclops rather than screw him over because everyone has a nerd erection for Wolverine.

18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

I'm a big fan of it, but if they just take the bare bones "Old Wolverine last one standing in a post-apocalyptic Western" that would be a solid flick. I'd feel it'd have more finality emotional resonance for Jackman's last crack at Logan than just another "Hey, it's a Wolverine adventure!"

19. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Evangeline Lilly could play X-23 well.

20. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    [​IMG]

Moving along ..... as much as I love Old Man Logan as a storyline, I think with the amount of things that you'd need to alter to fit within the licensing restrictions it won't end up right. There's certain things that each character's backstory provides to the overall storyline that can't be replicated with only X-Universe characters. And either way, doing a 'lone wolf Wolverine' western film would feel a little on-the-nose after the last one being a 'lone wolf Wolverine' in Japan film. Either give a good companion piece to Apocalypse that shows what Logan was doing during that time period (since the ending of DoFP showed that even though the timeline had been altered, a lot of things remained which potentially includes Wolverine's 'first' encounter with Xavier being after Rogue turns up) or set it after the altered DoFP ending where it won't impact upon the revised timeline movies and allows for some of the original trilogy actors to reprise their roles.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Come on, that's not fair. Everyone likes him because Hugh Jackman actually genuinely likes playing Wolverine. And it shows.

22. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Just seen photos of James McAvoy getting his hair shaved off!

Juliet316 , BigAl6ft6 and JEDI-RISING like this.
  23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

So far, only Stewart is back. If they're doing a send off for Jackman, then I could see cameos to tie it off. I think we might see something along the lines of "Death Of Wolverine" being used as a basis.

24. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    There are rumors that Fox is going to reboot the series after the last Wolverine movie. Might be a good idea, start over with a clean slate.

25. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Which is stupid since they just rebooted the universe with FC and DOFP.