main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph X-Men Movies & TV - Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Oct 6, 2010.

1. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    I was much more pleased with the appearance of the characters in the trailer than in that Entertainment Weekly piece a couple months back whose photos were so overly brightened and glossy that they made the actors costumes almost appear as bad cosplay garb. Now seeing them within the grittier and darker cinematography of the movie itself left me feeling much more optimistic, especially about Oscar's Apoc.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

"Alas poor Gavin Hood/Brett Ratner. I knew them, Mr. Singer."

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Yeah, but how many watched "Winter's Bone"? Much less know that it exists.

Except DOFP was already in the works to begin with and would have focused on Charles, Erik, Raven and Hank as much as they were in FC. The only difference would have been the use of Emma. Hell, if Vaughn had been involved, we wouldn't have even had the future sequences at all.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  4. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    I concede the point.

5. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

More should.

6. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    As it stands, Bryan Singer deserves a measure of good will; his X-Men triad were among the very few superhero adaptations that had anything remotely interesting to say, and DOFP is an underrated gem of a movie, sadly eclipsed by the efficient but hollow Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy.

7. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    How is DOFP underrated? It's the highest-grossing movie in the franchise and has a 91% on RT.

8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    People say mean things about it on the internet tho

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Trailers are still doing the shot-INCEPTION FART-shot thing?

10. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    What is hollow about Captain America the Winter Soldier?

11. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I don't see the connection myself.

Personally, I'm pretty sure Apocalypse will blow us away, and I look forward to JLaw's role in the film.

12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    ClevverMovies: New X-Men Movie Timeline Explained

Video transcript for the YouTube impaired:

13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I think a bit of both works. It still allows Cable's future to exist, while going towards what will happen in the next Wolverine film. Especially if "Old Man Logan" is used as a basis.

14. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    I'm very excited for the next one as I love First Class and DOFP. However, I always felt Jennifer Lawrence was wrong for Raven.

15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, I remember the 90s X-Men animated series, there were two parallel futures; one with Cable's future and one with Bishop's future, IIRC.

And this reminds me of the X-Men panel at the 2014 WonderCon where Kinberg kind of apologized for X3 and the Dark Phoenix story line and hoping to make up for it.

from an interview with Cravenonline:
    and

This new timeline would allow for a new Dark Phoenix story to occur. However, I hope Mystique/Jennifer Lawrence is the new Wolverine/Hugh Jackman of the franchise. I think the strength of the X-Men is the ensemble cast and the dynamics within the group, without a leading front man. Which is why in the comics, outside of Wolverine, there hasn't been an X-Man with a long lasting solo title.

I kind of don't want to see Old Man Logan movie because they can't use key Marvel characters like the Hulk. I suppose they could use the Blob, but I don't think Blob is not as iconic as the Hulk nor does he have an iconic cousin that creates a disturbing element in the story.

I'm expecting this Apocalypse to cover what Mystique did with Wolverine after she fished him out of the river at the end of Days of Future Past and the Logan still ended up in the Weapon X program.

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Sadly the the travel/divergent timeline doesn't address one question a friend of mine confirmed with me after being confronted with confusion by others: even though the timeline change permits characters to theoretically be born earlier than they were in the original timeline, it couldn't permit that to happen prior to Wolverine's arrival in the past in the 70's.

Yet, with Apocalypse set in the 80's and with the presented ages of certain characters, those earlier-born characters would have had to have been born before Wolverine arrived and started the changes...

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The Trask and Angel in Last Stand compared to the Trask and Angel in DoFP & Apocalypse are oddities. I'm calling distant relatives and/or clones.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I believe Jubilee is also in question.

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, either they're going to handwave it. Or you could say that Jubilee's mother was also named Jubilation Lee. Granted, you don't hear mothers naming their daughters after themselves too often, but I would assume it happens from time to time.

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The evil mutant, Plotholio, was running amok. He looks like this guy:

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 and The2ndQuest like this.
  21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    What characters pose a continuity problem? I really have not thought about it. To my mind, Days of Future Past, was the "reboot" of the franchise and we're kind of starting off with a clean slate.

X-Men flicks continuity has all been screwed up, but there wasn't anyone really stirring the ship like Kevin Feige was been doing with Marvel when the original films came out. I mean, Emma Frost is a great example of the screwed up continuity, as there was an Emma character in Origins and one in First Class. Obviously, Fox just wants to move forward and not worry about continuity all that much. Which I think is the smart move.

Anyway, I found this:

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Any character who would have had to have been "born earlier" than their original trilogy counterpart who would have had to have now been born before DOFP in order to be at the age they are in Apocalypse.

Theoretically, no character could have been "born early" any earlier than DOFP.

DOFP is set in 1973- the earliest point any time travel changes could begin. Apocalypse is set in 1983.

So, for example, the actress playing Jubilee in Apocalypse is 18-19 years old. She's presumably playing the character around that age, give or take a year or two. Which means Jubilee's "new timeline" birthday was around 1965: 8 years before DOFP.

Basically, I don't think the producers need to think too heavily about the timeline considerations at this point- it's a time travel reboot not beholden to any internal consistency.

23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    So, like Scott Summers, Jean and Ororo, right?

24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Those three appear to be on track with regards to their ages.

25. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    If by 'clean slate' killing half the First Class cast off screen and negating any of them from ever being in future movies despite some of them being major characters in the comics... sure, great way to reboot a franchise by immediately doing that...
    Have a continutiy problem with two Emma Frosts? Solution, just make make there be zero Emma Frosts... :rolleyes: