main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph X-Men Movies & TV - Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Oct 6, 2010.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The Human Superhero: Superhero for People.

2. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    superbowl spot

Sith_Sensei__Prime and TX-20 like this.
  3. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    Finally a Cyclops sighting.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and Yodaminch like this.
  4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Captain Britain actually has some good storytelling possibilities (though they might mite limited without the rest of the MCU to interact with). Captain Britain and MI-13 was a rather good series.

It's when you get to Vindicator (effectively Captain Canada) that the bottom of the barrel might have been scraped at...

They (combined with the arcade game and 90's TAS) got me reading the comics, so, you're welcome. ;)

Fatal Attractions, Phalanx Covenant & Age of Apocalypse FTW! :)

Jedi Ben likes this.
  5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I would take Vindicator over Captain Britain everyday. Because Canada is a better country than the UK.

EDIT: Also apparently I was thinking of her husband but they are both cool so I fully stand by the remark.

6. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    ^You and Ender should get married and have beautiful troll babies together.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  7. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Ugh...UGH!

Thanks for reminding me of those "fant4stic" X-Men storytelling jewels.

Jesus, the 90's were utter ****, weren't they?

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Fixed.

AOA is still arguably the biggest/most popular X-event beyond DOFP & Dark Phoenix Saga*. It's sort of the gold standard for what level of success Marvel wishes an X-event could one day reclaim. I mean, there's been, what? 4 sequel series? And at least two other unrelated events that tried to ride its coat tails? (AOX & AOU).

Fatal Attractions was one of the most humanizing moments for Logan (and the closest to a believable death he's ever had until recently) as well as arguably the best known "return of Magneto" stories (something that, granted, has been overdone several times since).

Phalanx Covenant is an outlier but while I cannot speak to specifics, the general premise of the crossover is one of the more effective stories to convey a "mutants on the run"/alien conspiracy angle.

*And as much as people like to crap over 90's comic art (often with very good and completely justified reasons), AOA has some absolutely gorgeous issues within its saga.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999

I'd posit that the original Psylocke-refit-into-Japanese-ninja-body thing was bad and pointless. Something decided by one or more idiots to, what, make her a hotter heavy hitter? But the Kwannon retcon...oh gods. That was just all sorts of Spidey Clone Saga kind of awful. Just like most of the 90's superhero lines, eh The2ndQuest?

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The non-X 90's Marvelverse is nearly indefensible.

Now if you want a truly terrible era of X-stories, I'll direct your time machine to the early 00's when things like X-Treme X-Men ran. Outside of Deadpool/Agent X (which was amazing) and one or two story arcs and one-shots (God Loves, Man Kills II & one about Nightcrawler and Mystique's origins), even I couldn't go on reading it despite overwhelming interest from X2 at the time.

11. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    FTFY. Really, all of it was. How that, the Image Wave, DC's similar antics and the whole speculative collector's market thing didn't completely destroy the industry is a miracle in and of itself.

12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I still enjoy the 90's Spider-Man and Hulk books, regardless of what others might think of them.

13. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Well, I admit, PAD's Hulk was pretty good. Must read stuff.

14. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The only downside to David's run was that he was having to change directions a lot towards the end. Looking back after he talked about why he left and you can get the hint of editorial interference.

15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  16. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007

They were on X-Force together. But even on off chance Psylocke survives Apocalypse(which I put at around 15%) I imagine they'd say she couldn't be in because she was that age in the 80s and Deadpool is modern times so she'd be too old. So I doubt it very much. I mean sure they can say she ages slowly like Mystique, Xavier, Magneto, and Beast have done, not aging a day from the 60s... but I honestly doubt they will.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Deadpool tends to do time travel often, so it's not impossible.

18. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007

given friend just gave me spoiler report...
    and post credit scene is Deadpool saying Cable will be in next movie but he doesn't know who will play him yet... I'm willing to say it's 'possible' but I don't think they'd do that just to have Psylocke in the film.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  19. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    AoA was fantastic, Fatal Attractions was okay, but... Phalanx Covenant? Really? You could have said X-Cutioner's Song, man.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I only knew of XCS through the Ultra X-Men cards, as it was just before my time reading the X-titles (I jumped on at Uncanny #300).

With PC, I liked the combination of paranoia and mutants-are-saviors-through-immunity aspects.

However, I haven't read them since their first printings so I can't defend it in much detail. I recall it also bring the point around which TAS started catching up to the modern continuity and I rather enjoyed the synergy at the time.

21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    What about Onslaught? :p

Don't be surprised if that's the next X-Men film.

I didn't read the spoiler above, but I'm hoping there's some kind of time jump to present time after Apocalypse, so we don't have to go through the 90s.

As for the Super Bowl spot, I thought it was awesome to see Psylocke in action. That was pretty badass. However, I'm not liking the look of the film. It would appear mostly everything is shot in front of a green screen and makes it small alot the prequels. I'm hoping the story makes up for that. I'm also kind of hoping that Mystique is killed off because I don't want her to be the face of the franchise.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, the greenscreen character shots remind me of a better quality Mortal Kombat movie in terms of look... but I don't find that to be a bad thing, hehe.

As for Onslaught, that was right about the time I started to phase out the X-comics and transition over to Spawn and Star Wars...

And while I know you jest, I wouldn't be surprised if they did Onslaught somehow. I ran my shop when the Complete Epic volumes for that series hit a few years ago and there was a surprising amount of interest and nostalgia for it.

23. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Sorry, but Morrison's New X-Men. And I can't believe you named the Azazel arc as one of the defensible ones. WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?

24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
  25. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016