main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph X-Men Movies & TV - Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Oct 6, 2010.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    If that's Psylocke's death scene (falling off the Blackbird), I'd be terribly upset as it would rival Boba Fett falling into the Sarlacc Pit as one of the worse ways to get rid of a character.

I'm hoping this is Singer's last X-Men flick. Please bring back Matthew Vaughn and let him have a X-Men team with Cyclops, Jean Grey, Storm, Nightcrawler and throw in Colossus (from Deadpool).

In other X-Men movie news, I'm liking the rumors that X-23 may appear in Wolverine III. Moreover that Tatiana Maslany's name has been mentioned for the role. I would love for X-23 to take on the mantle as Wolverine in the films as she has done in the comics. And the timing would be perfect as Hugh Jackman will be leaving the role and it might be difficult to recast the character. However, I do like the sound of Tom Hardy taking on the role of Wolverine.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    This is so funny that people want Singer off the series. Remember 10 years ago? You want that again?

The2ndQuest likes this.
  3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I actually like Ratner's X3. Seriously, I thought it was a good film. It started off with the Danger Room and a Sentinel's head, that actually looked like a Sentinel.

GenAntilles likes this.
  4. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    I remember the whole franchise for the past 17 years... In that time we've had one good X-Men film. So yeah... Would rather try someone else.

5. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Which one? 2? I've liked all of them except for 3 and Origins.

6. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    First Class. Honestly I don't get the praise 2 gets, I found it really forgettable.

7. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I liked First Class but didn't love it. January Jones was awful, Magneto's character development was lackluster ultimately, and there were continuity issues.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I'll agree that January Jones was awful as Emma Frost. Emma Frost requires an actress of Angelina Jolie's caliber; captivating, seductive and powerful.

However, I don't agree on Magneto's character development. I thought Magneto's story arc carried the film and he was the best thing about the movie. Eric Lensherr, Nazi Hunter was badass. The scene where Eric tracks down the two former Nazis in Argentina was one the best scenes in the film, along with the scene where Eric gives the nickel back to Sebastian Shaw.

The development between Eric and Charles is what I'd hope the prequels would have been with Obi Wan and Anakin.

The continuity issues where there long before First Class was in production.

9. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    I give January Jones a pass just because no actress could've done anything with the part. They could've cast any Oscar winning actress and it'd be the same result, they literally had nothing for the character to do but stand in the background, January Jones had to request and come up with her own blocking for nearly all her scenes, they cared so little for the part.
    In all honestly given what she had to work with and what was required of her she did a better job then Lawrence did as Mystique. Jones at least tried to add in some of Emma's personality while Lawrence's Mystique has been diluted each movie to the point where there is pretty much nothing other than her being blue that has anything to do with the comic character. And, that may be more of a writing and direction issue as well.

As for Magneto... I honestly can't understand how anything about that would've been lackluster.

The continuity issues I gave a pass as well as I assumed it was a full reboot and we were getting away from the lackluster Singer trilogy where everyone wore all black and no one smiled or was happy and everything was dour and colorless and lifeless and no one had any passion or personality and it was focussed all one one character with everyone else being just background. And for all of First Class's running time I got everything I wanted from an X-men film... then DoFP came along and literally murdered it all just to get us back to SingerX-men again...

10. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Am I the only one who liked January Jones? I wish she wore more though, like the comics.

First Class was great. Best X-Men film. And Singer came and trashed it.
    Seriously the ending is fantastic. "I prefer Magneto" with the purple outfit was incredible. So surely the sequel would have the Brotherhood of Mutants and the Hellfire club. No. The cast of First Class were killed off between films!
    DOFP was good, but it kinda became a two hour search for Mystique. I wish it was more of the future and those mutants- the originals. I was really expecting more from that.
    The timeline's reset so now we won't get that. All those characters gone!

Mad. Kitty Pryde leading the Xmen would have been incredible. All of those new mutants gone.
    We still haven't seen THE X-MEN. The costumes, the personalities, the interactions, the interlocking powers.

Now with Apocalypse I may see it if I get chance (as always with these summer X men films it's always inconvenient) but I'm worried it's going to be two hours of Mystique I mean Jennifer Lawrence. She was great in First Class and then it all fell apart for DOFP.

The motto of these films should be: Introduce new Mutants, kill them off.

Hopefully Psylocke survives this! I need her in an X-Force film with Blink!

(It isn't going to happen is it?)

Also I keep hearing talk of colourful costumes, where is the evidence? Screenshots from the trailers please because I haven't seen any.

11. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007

I used to complain about January Jones till I watched the behind the scenes footage. After that and seeing what she had to work with and seeing her act in other stuff I see she probably could've been a better Emma if they had a director or writer who wanted her for anything other than background decor. Emma has some great humor moments in the comics with her personality and interacting with others, had January been allowed to play that up more, since she does humor and comedy real well, I think her character would've been better received. Sadly the writers flat out said they wanted Emma to be an ice queen with zero personality, which sadly makes Emma's best moments in the film whatever January Jones could get away with in the background of a scene. Not to mention Emma and Xavier were supposed to have a really trippy off psychic mental battle but it was so similar to the effects in Inception they cut it. So her one real big moment of the film was cut, after that... there was really no hope for her character.

Yeah seriously, the First Class ending was one of the best movie moments I've seen. Magneto in the red and purple, the Brotherhood being formed, the X-men already formed. I was sold on the promise of a sequel being the X-men vs the Brotherhood... instead... Magneto got the entire Brotherhood killed in a year and the X-men all disbanded and died. Seriously... and they honestly say that was the plan all along... that'd be like ending Iron Man with the Nick Fury post credit scene and Iron Man 2 being 10 years later with an offhand comment about how all the Avengers died offscreen.
    DoFP was a good film, I won't say it was poorly made or done... but as an X-Men film I'd rank it at the bottom just for how much potential it wasted and how much a step back for the franchise it was. At least Origins Wolverine ADDED new characters, DoFP just got rid of all the new ones to replace with the same old ones we've had every movie. And yeah, they time travel 'fixed' the X3 stuff but everyone from First Class is still dead and gone for good. :rolleyes:

Yeah Kitty Pryde was again downplayed, first they give Rogue her character arc and then they don't even let her do her big hero role in Days.
    Nope, and that is the biggest issue I have with Singer(besides killing off so many characters for no reason). In 1999 the black costumes worked. First Class showed costumes like in the comics would work, instead while every other superhero franchise is embracing color and personality... he goes back to black uniform for everyone and it's just awful.

Lawrence was good in First Class, but the character she played would only pay off if she turned darker and became the comic Mystique, would show what a tragic character she was when she's a villain later on. Instead... she's just the bland boring leader with no real personality or traits beyond... determined leader who is right all the time that everyone respects.

If you aren't in the core cast of the first X-men movie Singer made he almost has it be mandatory you get killed off. If you were introduced in a film by another director it's pretty much 100% guranteed. Honestly if he had Deadpool in the film I'd assume Deadpool would get killed off for good.

Psylocke survive? Just like Lady Deathstrike survived...
    As for Blink, I remember when they said she was signed on for 3 films and would definitely be in the sequel... shows what that was worth now...

Apparently from the pic from the very end of the film where they all have black costumes on... but have a few bits of blue, yellow, and red on. It's literally the bare minimum, he could've passed it off in 1999 if he wanted. But yeah, until Singer leaves I doubt the next X-men movie won't be anything more than one lead character and everyone in all black and a bunch of cool new mutants that get killed off with barely any screentime or character moments.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  12. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    And don't mean to double post, but someone just showed me this video and it pretty much covers everything in terms of costumes

13. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    If JLaw skips the next movie, I'd like to see Storm developed into the next leader. It would fit the '80''s-'90's vibe.

Zoe Saldana, anyone?

14. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Well, Zoe could be a far better Ororo than what we've had so far. But it's all a matter of speaking to Ender's friend the VP of Hollywood and getting it done.

15. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Unfortunately he can't get slowpoke off the damn phone
    19 days straight.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  16. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Well how the **** is he the VP of Hollywood if he can't even get someone charged and arrested for excessive harassment? :p

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    This is exactly why I hate Singer's X-Men film; they cater the story/franchise to lead actors instead of the source materials/characters. I give Singer sort of a pass with Days of Future Past because that was mostly built off Matthew Vaughn's First Class.

If JLaw leaves the franchise, I'd want Cyclops, much like decades of comic books, be the leader of the X-Men. We never got a proper live action version of this character.

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    To be fair, he intended Cyclops to have a large role in X3- he was only killed off because Fox didn't want to let Singer work on both X & Supes.

And Singer did produce/almost direct First Class, so I'm not sure you should hold FC against him like that.

(But then I liked FC only mildly more than X1- mostly due to Fassbender; they're still the middle-quality films, IMO)

20. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    'Almost' And given how much of Days seemed to be just undoing everything that happened in FC... i question FC would've been the same film with him directing...

I'll readily admit Singer's X-men films are probably better quality and better made films on technical levels. But as far as X-men films go... they are low quality at best. I'd much rather see an X-men film with mixed critical reviews that is everything an X-men film should be... than one that is well made, well received, and only barely attempts to hit any of the 'this is x-men' marks. I mean I can see 'good' movies anytime I want, there are thousands of those. There's only been one good X-men film so far.

I mean you could easily turn Deadpool into on Oscarbait movie about a man dying of cancer embracing madness as a means to cope... it may win Oscars and make audiences weep and may be a great movie... but would it be a good Deadpool movie?

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Well, the thing is, Cyclops was killed off in X3 and I didn't care because Singer didn't make me care about his character.

And producer on a film doesn't necessarily mean much in terms of how the film is directed, as Christopher Nolan was a producer on Man of Steel. The reason why hold First Class against Singer, is because it doesn't feel like a Singer film. To start, First Class doesn't shy away from bright colors or settings. Most of the film doesn't appear to be shot against a green screen but rather in daylight under blue skies. I so loved how Vaughn used the blue and yellow uniforms for the X-Men, whereas Singer still clings to having black and darker tones to his costumes. I heard Olivia Munn had to really push for Psylocke's costume to be close to the source material. Moreover, Vaughn's story telling and character developments were done so much better than Singer's. I mean, the was a fun factor to First Class that's been missing from Singer's film. I feel Singer's X-Men don't really have fun interactions between the characters or have much defining character moments.

I was watching a video of the Russo brothers (directors of Captain America: Civil War) and they had mentioned that they wanted to make the film so that it's endearing to everyone's favorite character. Meaning, if you're a fan of Ant-Man or Scarlet Witch, they're going to make sure there's something in the film you'll love and you'll be glad you bought a ticket to the film. When Singer took on the X-Men, he never read an X-Men comic book and it showed.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  22. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007

Yeah, props to Olivia Munn
    https://sg.news.yahoo.com/olivia-munns-nerd-x-men-outfit-061500562.html
    "My nerd-out phase happened trying on the suit," Olivia admitted to SFX Magazine. "Up until the very end, the whole outfit was black. And I’d asked, 'This is going to be purple, right?' But they were short on time cos my character was put in at the very end, right before filming. I felt it was very important the costume looks identical to the comic books. So I called (director Bryan Singer), and he’s already read my email, so he knew it was coming from a fan. And he said okay. He 100 per cent understood right away (sic)."

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    GenAntilles likes this.
  24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    So the movie is less than a month away and no theater in my area has tickets for sale for the movie. It won't be in IMax in any theaters nearby either as far as I can tell as all the IMax screen will be featuring "Through the Looking Glass."

25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    ‘X-Men: Apocalypse’ Director Bryan Singer Defends the Look, Sound of His Titular Villain