main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph X-Men Movies & TV - Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Oct 6, 2010.

1. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I think Singer and Zack Snyder shared the same session of the How to Have Utter Disdain for Comic Book Characters seminar, hosted by Jabbawocky.

GenAntilles likes this.
  2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    ^ Add Michael Bay in that if we were to take in that Transformers is also a comic book series.

‘X-Men: The New Mutants’: Josh Boone Teases His Super-Powered Cast of Characters

[​IMG]

I'm guessing they're saving Cable for X-Force and Deadpool 2.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I never read new Mutants comics, but when Marvel rebooted I loved what's been going on with Magik and Sunspot has a good role.

4. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, I've never read New Mutants either. I remember when they came out and I passed on the book because it reminded me too much of Teen Titans. But, I'll be sure to watch this film. Early rumors were that Arya Stark was going to play Magik. I hope that's not the case. I'd like Hit Girl to take the role.

5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I don't see why he would need to defend that, both the look and voice of En Sabah Nur are fine if you ask me
    I can only comment on the old New Mutants comics but I thought they were good

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    He didn't sound like Apocalypse in the first trailer- that's what he was referring to. They've added the audio effect in since then.

7. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    The Claremont/Sienkiewicz era of The New Mutants was outstanding, imo.

Darth_Invidious and Gamiel like this.
  8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  9. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    IIRC, since Bryan Singer didn't read comic books, he watched the 90s X-Men TV show to learn about the characters.

Olivia Munn On Why She Turned Down A Role In DEADPOOL To Play 'Psylocke' In X-MEN: APOCALYPSE

10. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    NEXT "X-MEN" MOVIE WILL BE SET IN THE '90S, SAYS PRODUCER SIMON KINBERG

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Seems like they're creeping closer to our present day era.

12. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    The first reviews are in and they're...not encouraging.

13. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Ouch... Apocalypse is at 40% on Rotten Tomatoes already.

I'll put comments on the reviews here, none of them have spoilers(at least what I'd consider spoilers) but I do know people are very spoilerphobic these days so I'll just play it safe
    Front page on my homepage called it a 'bumper-car nightmare'

Biggest gripes I've seen are that Singer and Kinberg could not handle the large cast well and let each character feel important or worthwhile.

Also Psylocke is getting the same comments Emma Frost got from First Class. Has no real character other than 'is with badguys' and stand in the background with them with no lines and looks hot while wearing costume from the comics. Well, at least Munn managed to get the costume right.

14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I'm actually getting annoyed with these retcon prequels, so hopefully this 90's movie will be the last one.

Depends on a certain point of view. Not that I want the film to be bad, but I'm rooting for Singer to be kicked off the franchise.

Again, it might be a good sign in the long run. If this film is bad and doesn't do well at the box office, Singer will probably be taken off the franchise. Additionally, deep down inside, I'm rooting for the X-Men franchise to fail to that it might open the door for a MCU shared universe down the line, much Marvel Studios has with Sony with Spider-Man.

I'll see the film either way and lessening my expectations might be a good thing.

GenAntilles likes this.
  15. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    I'd hope that's the usual "payoffs" making those comments.
    I think (not my opinion, I mean this is what I have gathered) that alot of the reviewers for Batman Vs Superman were paid off. With some other rival company ( cough cough Di sney) paying for negative reviews. Now that's a bit of a conspiracy but we won't get into if the film was good or not. (I actually haven't seen it). Could the same thing happen here?

I'm not sure, but wouldn't surprise me if that is the case. It's a shame. On one hand I love what we get and on the other I know it could be so, so much better.

I thought DOFP would end the nonsense and the next one would feel like an X men movie. It is not quite looking that way ( bland characters, cameo mutants, black armour) but I guess I have to say that the next one will finally do it. SPOILERS and all that.

At the very least we get a new score, the soundtracks are the best part.

I think we'll know when it comes out. Unless there's suddenly a review embargo until release and then we'll know it's terrible!

16. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Apparently there's a sequence where Magneto destroys Auschwitz. Yes, I am serious.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't buy into the payoff review conspiracies. Who benefits from high profile superhero films bombing? No one (outside of possible MCU integration- but that's not an option for a DC film).

The longer superhero films are successful and well-received, the more room/demand for more superhero films there will be, which benefits all three mega-franchises.

18. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Well, it's at least not as bad as BvS at the moment so it's got that going for it.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It'll be interesting to see where it falls in the range as more reviews get added (it's edged up to a 44 as of this post).

Both of the non-Singer-involved core X-films currently own the rotten RT scores:

-X3: 58%
    -XMOW: 38%

And the rest stayed fresh:

-DOFP: 91%
    -FC: 87%
    -X2: 86%
    -DP: 83^
    -X1: 81%
    -TW: 70%

Even with mixed or poor reviews, I can't see it dropping below XMOW, let alone BVS's 27%.

20. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    I watched Chris Struckmann's review and he gave it an A-. This is also the same guy that gave BvS a C and I was fairly disappointed in that. I'm still going to see this movie, but my expectations have been tempered a bit.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I think almost any X-film (especially one helmed by Singer) is going to skew positive even when faced with mixed results because there's bound to be stuff in there fans will love enough to overlook most flaws.

22. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    After seeing the latest trailer last night before CW, the ever louder Stinker Spidey-sense is telling me to sit this one out. It looks and feels like another X3 disaster. In fact, I think I'll do that and spend another two hours of free time rewatching CW instead. :p

23. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I'm sure this will be a good movie. I hope it's close to being as good as Days of Future Past or X2. Those two are tied for my favorite, and First Class is a close second for me, followed by X1.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  24. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Yeah, the only two times we got genuine misfires in the Xverse were X3 and XMO and that was because Bryan Singer wasn't involved at all.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  25. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Absolutely. I'm not sure which one of those was worse. I tend to think the latter, but I go back and forth on that topic.