main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph X-Men Movies & TV - Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Oct 6, 2010.

1. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    Squirrel Girl is not an X-Men character, she is an Avenger.

2. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    She did hook up with Wolverine once though...

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

You've just explained why I haven't seen the last couple X-Men movies and why I'll never see another one.

4. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    People who can't get movie and comics are separate continuities? Yeah, they get on my nerves too, but they're a minority.

5. somethingfamiliar

somethingfamiliar Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2003
    Who says he needs a gun? His name's Cable. He should shoot coax out his forearms.

6. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    And, IIRC, Cable's Summers-connection was never even hinted at during the 90's cartoon. So I guess they could get away with making whatever they want out of him. He could even be Cyclops' daddy this time around.

Yeah, I've come to accept that differences between continuities and who's supposed to be who. I may not like it, but, seriously, there's so many elements and characters from the comics that just can't (or shouldn't ever) be brought to the silver screen. Case in point, Apocalypse and Sinister, to name few.

7. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Sinister would actually work quite well for an X-Men movie. Don't see why you're so against him. Make him Dr. Nathanial Essex, a geneticist trying to make a pure mutant bloodline. Give him a henchman or two, they kidnap a few mutants, run some experiments. Boom, X-Men save the day. Not that complicated.

As for Apocalypse, well my dream is an X-Men Age of Apocalypse trilogy where Apoc has taken over Earth by the end of the 2nd and the 3rd movie is spent half 10-20 years in the future where surviving X-Men send someone back in time and they interact with characters and events from the first film a la Back to the Future 2. It would never happen of course but I can dream...

8. Im_just_guessing

Oct 23, 2002
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7x79bY7E-Y&feature=player_detailpage#t=114s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7x79bY7E-Y&feature=player_detailpage#t=307s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3IJ9KM_hKY&feature=player_detailpage#t=14s

9. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    You're right: it'll never happen. :p

And yeah, you could introduce a Dr. Nathan Essex into the mix without his stupid supervillain name (I'm sorry, but "Mr. Sinister" is as punny and lame as supervillain names go). As for his look, first time I saw him I said "what's with this evil Colossus lookalike with the funny cape?". Again, certain comic book thingies we might take for granted simply don't work too well IRL.

10. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    To be fair, Sinister was created to be lame and over the top; he was initially supposed to be the product of a mutant child's imagination, his idea of what a "supervillain" is.

11. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    He was brilliant in the 90s animated series, and pretty much the best villain that show had. He looked evil, had cool powers, owned an island with lots of evil mutant henchmen and teamed up with Apocalypse at one time. No-one criticises Joker for looking stupid because he's a great villain, no reason why Sinister can't work either.

I'd prefer Apocalypse but it just isn't practical to have a nearly immortal super-being in a movie about humans with powers.

12. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    The Joker is a relatively simple concept: Madman with a penchant for showmanship that looks like a clown. That's oversimplifying the character but it appropriately summarizes why his look works - simplicity. Its also heavily based on a familiar real world concept of clowns, something a lot of people already find creepy.

Sinister is far less simple and attempts to boil it down to something simpler and make the character more credible (Ultimate X-Men) simply diminish the character's potency.

13. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Catching up a little but please God never let Cable sully an X-Men movie.

14. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Gee...thanks for reminding me how cringing goddam awful that series was. [face_sick]

Admittedly, I didn't see that particular episode (for the "awfulness" reason stated above). Regardless, the "hinting" in regards to any Summers-Grey connection with Cable is so vague in those scenes that only those with any insight into the whole sordid history are privy to it.

Anyhoo, Cable's history has so much "Terminator" or otherwise cliched-to-death-time-travel inspired crap that it'd ruin the tone the X-films -- and First Class in particular -- have set.

JoinTheSchwarz: Yes, I remember Claremont's intended origin for Sinister. In all honesty, I'm not sure that what we got instead was any better.

15. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    That 90s episode shows exactly why Apocalypse shouldn't feature in a movie, look how easily he defeats a whole bunch of mutants without even taking damage.

Personally I don't find Cable interesting, he's just a time-traveling guy with fancy weapons (as the Terminator reference stated). I prefer guys who have super-human abilities not action heroes with implants.

Never quite get the hate on the X-Men 90s series, sure the animation was crude but it had good stories and featured most of the best characters from the comics. Plus it had a great theme tune and opening credits. It's no Batman AS, but it's not bad.

16. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    'Cept for Kitty, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Iceman, Angel, Havok, Polaris, Psylocke, not to mention other teams like The New Mutants or Excalibur etc (No the brief one-off cameos don't count). The characters they did feature are either incredibly over-rated (Rogue, Gambit), obnoxiously adapted (Jubilee, Morph/Changeling) or pale comparisons of their comic counterpart (Storm). Even the remaining characters were remarkably one dimensional with rare instances of complexity ruined by terrible performances. The majority of stories were poorly told re-tellings of the original comic stories with shallow characterization, horrendous voice acting and the aforementioned shoddy animation. I've never understand why it garners so much praise among fanboys.

Not to say that it wasn't enjoyable at times, and I wouldn't go so far as to call it entirely terrible, but I really don't think its as good as people remember it being.

17. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I can attest to this point with firsthand experience. I was introduced to the X-Men by the televised series, and remember seeing this episode (and all the others featuring Cable) before I had even seen a comic book in real life before. I never took the slightest hint that those scenes were supposed to hint at Cable being related to any of the current X-Men. Even in retrospect, those scenes have rationalizations that work well outside that context. It was very much a dog whistle sort of moment.

18. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Wow. :p

As someone who grew up with this show and Batman, I greatly enjoyed both. Sure the animation wasn't perfect. Though frankly, I enjoyed it more than their attempts to fix it in the final season. And sure some of the voice actors REALLY overdid it. But I suppose growing up with those voices, I never had such a huge issue. Kitty did never show and I'm not sure why that was. But Colossus and Nightcrawler appeared twice. Iceman once along with Havok and Polaris (as you mentioned). Angel had about a half dozen episodes by my count (the angel to archangel stuff was about 3 episodes. He had one where he tried to take down Apocalypse's ship. He appeared in the big stop Apocalypse from destroying time arc)

But I have all the dvds. And the first season had crude animation it's true. And the dialogue could be over the top. Storm loved to monologue (I always enjoyed Rogue's "Lighten up on the speeches sugah" remark). Wolverine was good. I enjoyed Rogue's weird southern phrases. Beast was always spouting a famous poem or literary piece which was always interesting. But the stories were good at their core. And as the show progressed, the stories got even better (even if the voice acting didn't). This was really one of the first animated superhero shows to take on a lot of the more "out there" things like space and aliens. We didn't have Superman or Justice League until much later. Fantastic Four and Iron Man season 1 were far worse than X-Men. Spider-Man was ok but did have some convoluted stories. Batman's animation and voice acting weren't always perfect either. That show got much better with time and tightened up it's animation later on as well. Batman also benefited from a better budget and the popularity of a movie. For its time, the 90s X-Men accomplished a lot.

That said, Cal Dodd remains Wolverine for me. :cool:

19. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    I didn't say characters like Nightcrawler and Colossus didn't appear, but that wasn't my point. Of those that appeared, they quite often received only token episodes, they were caricatures at best (especially Colossus) and when their episodes were finished, most were gone and forgotten. They were never continuous members of the team. So no I wouldn't say that the most best characters were on the team. The absence of Kitty altogether is just sad.

I will grant that Angel probably had the best story of all the characters, but once again he was more of a recurring cameo than a member of the team itself.

20. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I don't think that's necessarily a good measure of the show's quality, though. How many film adaptations have we seen suffer from the "include everyone" dictate (see also: any fighting game movie ever)? The absence of Kitty specifically is regrettable and didn't make a lot of sense, I'll grant you. But X-Men has a dizzying number of characters in its cast. What matters is whether they told decent stories with the characters they chose to use.

They were retreads of earlier stories, yes. But that's a pretty common feature among adaptations. They also made some fairly bold choices for a children's action cartoon. In particular, Beast's decision to trust the American legal system, or Nightcrawler's portrayal as a member of a religious order. I'll admit that their work was often ham-fisted, overwrought, or shallow. But they made serious attempts to address substantive topics in ways that no one save Dini's better-funded Batman was doing at the time, and which still is not the norm even today.

21. Im_just_guessing

Oct 23, 2002
    The only thing I see wrong with the X-Men cartoon is that now that I am not 8 years old, everything seems like its moving in slow motion.

22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Why does Shadowcat have to feature? Personally I don't much rate her as a character, she's generally annoying and despite her cool power doesn't offer much. Plus given how much the cartoon hammed up some stuff, it would've been worse with Lockheed added in.
    She's either a bratty kid or a teenager with a crush on a bunch of older guys and that would only add dull stuff into an action story that wasn't needed.

She wasn't very good in the X-Men movies either

23. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    I am not dismissing some of the bolder choices they made, nor am I saying the show is without merit. My statements about the characters weren't really meant as a commentary on the quality of the show, but rather a counter-argument that the show featured the best characters in the roster as Richie suggests. IMO most of the best characters were either brief in their appearance, pale comparisons of their comic counterparts or missing altogether. I am also not asking for every character ever, just that certain characters (particularly those that helped define the franchise and make it popular) are appropriately treated.

EDIT: Richie, your understanding of the character seems limited to only the first few years of her appearances, not the full scope of the character's growth.

Kitty is perhaps one of the most fascinating characters on the team whose growth from scared child dealing with her changing body, to an intelligent, capable and confident adult is the very essence of what makes X-Men such a powerful and interesting franchise. She's become an almost indispensable member of the team overcoming a powerset that almost lacks any offensive capabilities. Not to mention her relationship to certain key members of the team plays a huge role in very human interactions of the team that make them so fascinating and interesting to read.

Her diminished role in the films is a testament to how under-appreciated she is, yet she stands as one of the few worthwhile parts of X-Men the Last Stand.

24. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    The 90s cartoon will always be a guilty pleasure to me and a large part of the reason I started reading Marvel comics; I liked the Batman series better, but X-Men hinted to a larger universe beyond the series. When I was 14 I adored the absurdly complex time travel episodes (and the Bishop and Cable two-parter predicted/inspired the future Messiah Complex event), the social undertones, and the character of Magneto. Sure I hate how Jubilee was given the role and personality of Kitty Pryde, but they were trying to cash on the popularity of the Jim Lee design so I can accept this.

The animation quality went downhill in just a couple of episodes, though.

25. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Unless I'm wrong the remnants of The New Mutants had already become X-Force at the time the show first aired. IIRC, the government version of X-Factor (with Havok and Polaris) also appeared once, but I can't recall if the Summers bros. had any major interaction there.

Regardless, the above sums up pretty nicely my feelings on that particular kiddie show. It doesn't help that at the time I was pretty ingrained in the goings on of the comic X-mutant universe and the show was pretty damn subpar as far as the depiction of the characters or major classic stories was concerned. But again, it was a show meant for a younger audience and, unfortunately, its nature meant that quality and fidelity to the source material would suffer heavily.

Edit: Richie: Do NOT diss the ShadowCat. Kitty Pryde is, quite frankly, one of the best X-Men to ever don the uniform and the most human member of the team. Why she wasn't a part of the series? I guess it's quite simple: she simply wasn't a mmaber of the core X-Men times at the time the series was out, while at the time the most juvenile member of the X-Men was Ms. Jubilation Lee, for better or worse.