main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph X-Men Movies & TV - Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Oct 6, 2010.

1. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Exactly. This was not a prime time television show. A cartoon aimed at kids has to be easy to follow. Look at Clone Wars. They have to make painful cuts to contain the story. Arcs rarely go longer than a few episodes. And continuity is spotty at best. Clone Wars barely has it. Batman barely had it. Save for the villain origin episodes, many of Batman's episodes could be completely out of order for all we know. X-Men however, did have a clear continuity for at least the first 3 seasons. It focused on characters with big personality and cool powers. I think that's why Kitty likely never appeared. How much combat could she have gotten on that budget with her phasing power? Likely the same reason Nightcrawler was relegated to cameos. Wolverine and Rogue were the brawn. Beast was the brains. Storm, Cyclops, Gambit and Jean had the big power. Jubilee was similar to Gambit but at least she could be shown fighting.

I'd also guess the team couldn't be much larger hence why Angel and Iceman were not in it. Like Justice League which only had 7 at first and only used a portion of the cast for most episodes. And JLU which had many characters but only used several characters on a constant basis while the rest only appeared in one or two episodes. These were really the two first ensemble superhero shows. I think as they've gotten better, they can fit more in like X-Men Evolution and Wolverine and the X-Men started to do.

2. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Something else I feel is worth mentioning about Kitty is that she was something of a different character at the point of her introduction in the story: She was perhaps the first real teen member of the team, the first time we really got to deal with the transitional stage of becoming a mutant. Sure the original members were teens when they started but they were much older, much more experienced then Kitty and already on their way to becoming adults in their own right. Even the all new, all different international team brought on during the series introduction were mostly grown up and established.

Kitty on the other hand was still in the midst of her transition, was still dealing with the changes that occur during puberty that helped make mutation a relatable subject to so many readers. She essentially represented the difficulty one faces during such a difficult and awkward time. And her character growth represents part of what makes the X-Men so great, that you don't have to feel like an outcast for being different and that through training, education and understanding you can turn your curse (as she saw it at times) into a gift.

Its that growth and change that has twice been co-opted for other characters in adaptations of the story first with Jubilee in the series, then with Rogue in the films. Yet neither seemed to capture the full essence of the story quite like Kitty did.

And if you still feel like Kitty is a lame character, read Astonishing X-Men, particularly the finale and tell me that she isn't an awesome character. :p

I feel like that's a missed opportunity then as their style of combat tends to be more creative and visually interesting then punching things and blowing things up. :p The opening to X2 for example, or Kitty Vs Juggernaut.

3. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    With all its cons and its many shortcomings, I still like the original 90s cartoon and will watch it if I catch it on TV. I had high hopes for the new WatXM series, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. :(

4. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    At this point, no new X-Men animated series will get so much as a raised eyebrow from me. As far as North America will forever be concerned, cartoons will be kiddie fare. Therefore, the mature, often violent and very dangerous tone the X-Men's world requires will be extremely toned (or dumbed) down. I mean, your star chracter has freaking knives coming out of his hands, and the only things he can do with them is to cut down robots or scenery. But heaven forbid if Wolverine were to actually to slash a living, breathing being with them! The censors of self righteous America would demand the show be pulled from the air right away!

5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Yeah, it was better in the 90s when they allowed more adult stuff (I remember Wolverine stabbed Sabertooth with his claws in one episode and threw him off a cliff, plus I think Cyclops dueled with some guy and got stabbed).
    The dark style of Batman TAS was one thing that made it a great show, something a lot of present-day kid shows lack.

Clone Wars is a current show with some dark parts that isn't afraid to show death and violence, which is partly why I like it.

6. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    I'd agree. And I think they had refined the whole superpowers thing better by X-Men Evolution and especially Wolverine and the X-Men - which is why both Kitty and Nightcrawler were regular cast members by that point.

*teleport in*
    "Hi, I'm Nightcrawler and this is Shadowcat"
    "And this is your weapons system" *hand phases through it*
    "Bye!" *teleport out*

:p

Darth_Invidious: You might want to watch the Wolverine and the X-Men anime coming to America on G4 sometime this summer and fall I believe. While it has some of the over the top anime fantasy elements. The X-Men are much tougher And wolverine is much more animal-like in his fighting from what I've seen. Wasn't wild about Storm's design though. Or any of the female team members.

7. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Oh, anime. [sarcasm]I "love" anime sooo much.[/sarcasm]

And featuring what is most likely a bastardized version of the X-Men with probably all the wrong characterization for everyone and with questionable designs to boot.

Thanks, but no thanks. There's only so much angst and pain a fan can take in one lifetime. [face_plain]

8. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    So you don't like western animation because its too tame, but roll your eyes at Japanese animation which is notoriously more violent...what do you propose would be a better animation style to tackle the franchise with? You seem to be dismissing it based on an assumption of the content not the actual content. No skin off my back if you don't want to see an anime version of the X-Men but it seems odd to me to critique and admonish content you haven't actually seen (apparently).

Minch: Yeah I agree, I was a much bigger fan of X-Men Evolution, particularly the later seasons. By the time they got the Apocalypse arc I was hooked and was sad that the series didn't continue (though it went out on the perfect note). Wolverine and the X-Men had potential but never had the opportunity to grow.

9. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah, and the plot is by some guy called "Warren Ellis". Who the hell is that guy!?

10. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Do you mean to come off as pretentious as you do, or are you just being funny? I mean, with Jello, it's kind of his schtick--almost endearing. Just wondering if that's the route you're taking or if you're just oblivious to the fact it's the same self-righteous Americans that produced the comics on which the cartoons were based in the first place.

Television (like comics, movies, music, etc) is a constantly evolving form of entertainment. Ultimately what wins out is if there's money to be made. If there's an audience for mature animated shows, you can rest assured, it'll find its way into your TV.

11. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Pretentious? No. I do try to be a cantankerous cynic 99% of the time. But I usually don't mean to offend. It's just my "schtick", as you put it. :p

Augh! Warren Ellis! Oh Nooooess!!!

12. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I haven't seen First Class or the Wolverine movie, but I caught the animated series (92-97) on TV the other day and the theme is still totally awesome.

WHY THE HELL DIDN'T THEY USE IT IN ANY OF THE MOVIES?

I saw X1 in the theaters and if they had used the animated theme song for any of the action sequences, even for just a few seconds, I would have literally came in my pants.

13. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Someone did this: X-Men theme in Opening Credits
    Found it kind of cool. But nothing beats that theme. Though, I did like the soundtrack for this film. I specifically enjoyed Magneto's theme.

14. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Best cover of the X-Men theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNLL_lxL-bQ

15. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    That. Is. Awesome.

16. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Yeah, Powerglove are a great band. Their schtick is metal covers of 80s/90s cartoon and video game themes.

17. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    I just ran through a ton of their youtube stuff. They're really great.

18. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    definitely awesome. also not THAT far off from the original. Also, I don't think they'd have a hard time with the SWAT Cats theme. :p

19. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Ditto.

20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    From EW.com

'X-Men: First Class' deleted scene: Is THIS the reason Magneto hates Prof. X? -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO

21. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
  22. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
  23. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Cross-dressing - it's a British thing. It's just a tendency we have.

24. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I found that scene hilarious, but yeah, I guess it's a good thing they left it on the cutting room floor...

...though I don't think it would've been a good thing, AT ALL, if Erik found out what Chuck did there. :p

25. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Got the blu ray. 17 minutes in, cant say I'm hellishly impressed with the quality of the video on offer. Menu style was groovy though.