main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph X-Men Movies & TV - Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Oct 6, 2010.

1. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I think SithLordDarthRichie's point is that only movies with people in poofy shirts should be called period pieces.

2. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Well thank goodness they are including the Hellfire club, this still qualifies as a period piece then.

3. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    [face_laugh]

Can't wait to see Kevin Bacon as Sebastian Shaw.

4. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Pride & Prejudice adaptations are called period drama, is such a title given to a show like Mad Men?

5. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yes.

6. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Period pieces are just recreations of the aesthetic from a specific historical period. I don't see why a film or tv series set in the 60s doesn't qualify as a period piece.

7. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I suppose it does. I've just never heard it used for anything that wasn't set in the Victorian or Edwardian eras or earlier.

8. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    Well, it is, LOL. Anyone remember Chris Rock's rant at the Oscars a few years ago how if you're making a period piece, no matter what period, you should cast Russell Crowe. Because he'll do the research and do it right. You could set a movie three weeks ago. People would be watching Russell, listening to him talk, saying "That sounds like three weeks ago!"

Slimy!

9. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Claremont got the inspiration for the Helfire Club from from a 1966 episode of the British spy drama The Avengers called A Touch of Brimstone, in which Steed and Mrs Peel infiltrate the Helfire Club. See Diana Rigg as the original Black Queen in this clip here.

10. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    The line was "Scott and Jean were some of my first students"

We could just assume he referred to his first students on his own after he and Magneto split.

As to Emma, since she couldn't sense Xavier in Wolverine and she was never called Emma by name (that I recall) and she never used telepathy, no need to consider her the Emma Frost.

Honestly the worst continuity fluke is Xavier and his chair. He first meets Scott and Jean sans the chair. And Singer said we'd see how he gets in the chair. Scott we can chalk up to psychic projection. But with Jean he is with Eric and we have a decent idea of the time period there and it is most certainly not the sixties. Really, you almost have to disregard the Jean and Scott scenes. In that scene, Magneto complains "We aren't going to have to do this with all of them?" and Xavier says something like "No, but this one's special". Indicating that they were just getting started. Maybe Jean wasn't their very first visit, but it was certainly considered in that movie to be one of their first visits. I'm personally ok with just pretending X3 and Wolverine didn't happen. Alternatively, first class could just throw in Bishop, Cable or Legion somewhere and have them mess with time and create an alternate universe for first class to go off from. :p

11. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    This. I don't really give a crap if this fits with those movies. I would just like for it to be a good movie in its own right.

12. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    I'm thinking they're better off going the reboot route. I can't think of any true prequel movies that turned out particularly well (Temple of Doom and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly don't REALLY count as prequels - they're basically independent one-offs; Star Trek '09 is mostly a reboot; The Godfather Part II is ultimately a sequel with prequel flashbacks)

13. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I wouldn't mind a reboot of the series but I would expect it to feature... you know, at least some of the main characters. I mean... Havok? Riptide? Darwin?? It'd be like rebooting Star Wars as The Wacky Adventures of Greedo and Cantina Patron #7.

14. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Couldn't be much worse than The Adventures of Obi-Wan's Obi-Wan and Jar-Jar Binks.:p

15. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I've got no problem with Havok. He was the first addition to the X-Men after the original five and him being Cyclops' brother has always seemed like an easy way to introduce the character. However, this movie being set in the 60's makes the brothers angle seem unlikely.

16. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    How awesome would it be if the first class was formed by Darwin, Petra, Sway and Vulcan? [face_batting]

17. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Since I'm pretty new too comics/Marvel/X-Men I have no idea since I don't recognize a one of those names.

18. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    As long as Mr Sinister and Apocalypse are featured at some point (are aren't crappy like Venom in Spider-Man 3) I don't really mind what they do.

19. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    They were a team of X-Men that Prof. X put together when the originals got captured. Their first mission was to rescue them and they failed and were left for dead. Xavier erased everyones memory of them to cover it up. Of course it eventually came out when Vulcan came back for revenge.

Darwin is the only one confirmed for the new movie right now. His power is that his evolves into whatever will help him survive a given situation. So he'll do stuff like grow gills, wings, bullet proof skin, the ability to survive in a vacuum, etc. One time while fighting the Hulk his power teleported him miles away from the battle rather than stick around and take a beating. When it comes to the Hulk, the safest thing to do is to simply not be there. [face_laugh]

20. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    How would it be helpful to develop bullet proof skin after getting shot? :p
    Developing gills once you're underwater I can understand.

21. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
  22. onlyonekenobi3

onlyonekenobi3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 10, 2003
    I think it's possible for the First Class of mutants Professor X takes in to be the kids at the end of Wolverine. The movie could take place over a course of 15 years.

BTW Very exciting times for X-Mens fans! :D

23. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Still doesnt explain how Emma Frost reverse-aged from a twentysomething in the 60s to a teenager in 1979.

24. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Alpha the Ultimate Mutant?

25. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002