main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph X-Men Movies & TV - Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Oct 6, 2010.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    But he's sort of overseer of all things Marvel at Fox now- he actually does know what he's talking about,

As far Sentinels go- the fear and hatred of mutants is a key difference between our world now and the world of the X-Men. Even in our more tolerant society, we saw what people were willing to do and/or accept in the wake of 9/11. Now, shortly after a lot of those things were regretted or became less popular, but that initial outburst was still there.

The X-Men are almost like that in a constant state (especially with Stryker and Magneto fanning the flames). And even when the state of relations isn't so heightened, there's still a deeper bigotry present.

2. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I guess I'll have to agree that while iconic as far as the comics go, Sentinels - as GenAntilles pointed out - are a preposterously ridiculous anti-mutant deterrent. Not to mention completely out of place in the more or less "realistic" X-Men universe laid out by Signer & Co. At least not unless you re-imagine them somehow. Maybe as a human, black-ops style mutant task force codenamed "Sentinel" or somesuch. I don't know. But then since this movie will involve time-travel in one way or another I guess realism has been tossed out of the window and anything goes, including giant ****** robots. Me, I always preferred the sleeker Nimrod model, despite its unfortunate shocking pink hue.

3. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    It's okay, it's an alternate timeline. Dystopia ahoy.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I could see them taking the piloted-mech approach to Sentinels that the comics used post-M-Day. That could fit into the movie verse decently.

5. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    But then they aren't self aware and don't take over, enslaving all humans etc.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, I mean as a starting point- its not "Hey folks! US government here with sentient giant robots to hunt down people with!" but rather "Our mutant hunting hardware went rogue".

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  7. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
  8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Indeed, I can't see it any other way. As much as it worked in the comics, or, say, the cartoons the idea of unleashing a giant mecha warrior robot to rip apart civilian neighborhoods and shopping centers with wanton heavy weapons fire in pursuit of a single mutant is just ridiculous. I mean, if that's going to be the approach, one may as well just use drones and targeted missile strikes.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  9. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Wouldn't that be crazy?

10. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
  11. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Part of the Canadian Resistance that future Wolverine is a member of?

12. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    I was going to say that seems like a tremendous waste of talent but given Daveeed's suggestion, I am a little more optimistic. Might we see more Alpha Flight too?

13. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I think Puck will do just fine, especially if he's given more than a couple of lines of dialogue. I'd hate to see other Alphans being referenced or actually being onscreen but then just give them a "blink-and-you-missed-them" scene or have them stand around as mostly silent extras. It has always annoyed me that minor characters - or even major characters (looking at you, Cyclops) - have received that treatment in this franchise.[face_frustrated]

14. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Colossus has more lines in his one scene in X2 than he does in X3.

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Everyone's going to be in this! Even Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, and Carrie Fisher will be in this instead of that other one.

16. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm holding out for a cameo by Deadpool's hand at this point.

18. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    If we have Sentinels, will we have Master Mold?
    He was quite a good villain in the 90s cartoon, especially when he came back as just a giant head.

19. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Not likely. Sentinels while integral to the story are more backstory/context.

20. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Singer mentioned that some classic sequences from DoFP would be there, and I can't think of any other than the Sentinel blasting Wolverine and leaving just his charred skeleton.

[​IMG]

Well, perhaps the cover with the spotlight and the wanted poster...

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  21. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Eh, Master Mold. Boring. I'm still rootin' for this guy:

[​IMG]

VadersLaMent likes this.
  22. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Given that this could be Jackman's last appearance as Wolvie that would be a hell of a way to go out.

23. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    ^He's so cool he can be pink.

24. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    If it's anything like the comics Wolverine only dies in the alternate timeline.

25. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Could be. Could be a way to take the character out of continuity if Jackman does indeed decide he wants to leave the franchise behind.