main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph X-Men Movies & TV - Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Oct 6, 2010.

1. Lord Mauly Mall

Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team star 7 VIP

Oct 21, 1999
    Can they start working on a reboot of the reboot? :-B

2. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Probably as soon soon as they actually reboot first, then they can reboot the reboot.

3. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I hear ya. This looks to be just as big a disaster (or worse!) as the Origins/Wolvie movie.

I think part of the problem is that the franchise got a bad start from the start (let's face it, the first X-Men movie was a snooze fest wrapped around those sparse good bits featuring Wolverine) and Fox has failed to grasp the essence and coolness of the X-Men. Basing this prequel on what has come before was a bad idea right from the start. An entire rebooting of the series, with a new cast and story would have been so much better. And to me, the X-Men "dream team" will always be that of the "new" X-Men: Cyclops, Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Kitty Pryde and, of course, Wolverine.

4. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I always thought Xavier's need for a wheelchair was due to his immense mind power crippling him, in other words he could walk if he didn't have mutant powers. If McAvoy is not in a wheelchair throughout all of the movie, I would assume Xavier's power doesn't fully manifest until later (much of this idea is of course based on the animated series, which I know is not accurate to the comics entirely, but I haven't read many of them).

5. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Nope, Xavier's need for a wheelchair has nothing to do with his powers. He was originally injured when an alien named Lucifer dropped a boulder on his back in the Himalayas. This took place after he met Magneto, but before he formed the X-Men. Since then, he's been cured, recrippled, and cured again like a dozen times in the comics.

6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't know what to think about this film. I love X-Men and X2, hated 3, and Wolverine looked bad so I didn't even bother. I like the concept of this film, but liked it more when Bryan Singer was going to be directing. I'll reserve judgment until I see a trailer.

January Jones is a terrible actor. She works as Betty because she totally looks the part and Betty's supposed to be an empty-headed child anyway, so Jones' stiff and vapid delivery works. But she's really not very good.

-sj loves kevin spacey

7. BLACKJEBUS

BLACKJEBUS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    I have a bad feeling about this movie.

Which is too bad, because it deserves to be awesome.

8. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    That's okay, I do too. I have a bad feeling for the comic-book superhero movie genre in general, as well.

9. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Just like every other genre, superhero movies are going to have more bad than good. For every Dark Knight, you're going to get a half dozen Ghost Riders.

10. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    FWIW, Matthew Vaghaun is one of the better lesser-known directors working right now.

11. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    The super-hero/comic-book genre has been pretty good with movies overall I would say:

Superman 1 & 2, Spider-Man 1 & 2, X-Men 1 & 2, Iron-Man 1 & 2, Hellboy 1 & 2, Blade 1 & 2, Kick-Ass, Scott Pilgrim, V for Vendetta, Burton's Batman movies & Nolan's Batman movies (so far), Men in Black, Sin City, 300 and various others are decent & very good movies which show that the genre can work if done well.

You get some disappointments like Spider-Man 3, the Fantastic Four films, Michael Bay's Transformers and some downright awful ones like Ang Lee's Hulk but overall the genre has done pretty well I think.

She may be good enough for this role, I must say I know little about the character. If the character doesn't require great acting but basically has to look good (wouldn't be the first time) then January Jones is the right sort of person.

Scarlet Johansson & Megan Fox can't act much either, but they look good in the "generally pointless sexy female character that doesn't require acting skill" role.

12. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Yup, and if you happen to recall the opening scenes of X3 (I know, its hard to think of that film) with the godawfully digitally de-aged McKellan and Stewart, Charlie X was standing and walking around normally and he had full use of his powers. In most comic continuities he was crippled some time before he founded his school and the X-Men. That the fact as to how he got into a wheelchair was never explained in ANY of the movies just shows how much they didn't care about developing or laying out the personal history of any of the X-Men other than Wolverine.

Again, I'm not bothering with this film because its foundations have been flawed ever since 2000. Marvel should've told Fox to simply reboot the franchise, Hugh Jackman's Wolverine flicks be damned.

13. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    well i think she gives a nuanced and emotionally complex performance as betty, despite the fact that her character is indeed childish and self-obsessed. but i suppose maybe her terrible acting just perfectly suits the character, in which case lucky for her!

14. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    That's unfortunate that January Jones (totally sounds like a Stan Lee character) isn't a very good actress, as much as I don't like Emma Frost, she is a complex character who a better actress would have a great time trying to unravel and portray on film. Of course that's a more appropriate definition of the modern day Emma, they could just go with a two dimensional, self-centered villianess I suppose, but personally I would rather someone tackle the role who could give us a deeper, more nuanced performance.

15. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It would be interesting if they had her encounter Dark Beast.

I really hope they have an X-Men movie featuring Apocalypse & Mr Sinister at some point, they are awesome villains.

16. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Essex could work as a movie villain, yes.

And pity about Emma Frost. She deserves more than eye candy. I still hope January Jones surprises everyone, though...

17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Maybe Miss Jones will surprise us. However, with an ensemble cast, it's typically difficult for anyone actor to shine. Jones be perfect with a two dimensional and self-centered villianess as you describe.

Seeing these promo photos makes me wanna watch Austin Powers again.

18. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I would have preferred Mark Strong as Sebastian Shaw, but Kevin Bacon is too good an actor to really complain about. What I really worry about is the constraints the director is under.

19. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Its not unheard of for someone to give a good performance in an ensemble cast. She doesn't have to shine, but the character has more to offer now than just eye candy and villainy. I don't see why we can't expect more from someone being cast as such a complex character.

And my comments about Ms. Jones ability were based on general opinion here as I have yet to see her in anything. However, gauging the consensus it would seem that she's rudimentary at best, and that most aren't expecting much. Again that's regrettable. I am more than willing to eat crow if she does indeed "surprise us", but given her reputation, my hopes aren't high and I remain somewhat disappointed at what seems to be a lost opportunity.

20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I hear you. My comments on an ensemble cast, is that even an accomplished actress like Halle Berry could get lost in the shuffle. Additionally, I don't see Emma Frost being the focal point here, as it's most likely be centered around Charles and Erik.

I read reports that the movie is "a hot mess" with the director editing the film, while someone else is currently reshooting six weeks of film footage.

Courtesy of the LatinoReview.

21. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    All part of the magic baby. Uh, I hope.

22. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    No she doesn't need to be front and center, but too often in these cameo laden X-Men films, characters fall to the wayside despite the opportunity for them to add to the story rather than just be set dressings. Storm, Kitty, Beast, Colossus etc.

Pick-ups and second unit stuff are quite common and not really all that alarming. I think people are reading into things too much and looking for more problems then necessary.

23. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Plus it's LatinoReview and my people are well known for making exaggerated claims about how off kilter ensemble movie projects featuring super powers are.

24. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    "lost in the shuffle"? Oscar or no Oscar, she was the most consistently bad thing in those movies. Consider:

Which one is generally considered the worst? The third one, where she was given a prominent role.

Which one is considered good, but not great? The first one, where she has a decent-sized (but not big) ensemble role.

Which one is generally considered the best, and one of the best superhero movies period? The second one, where she doesn't do anything more than look pretty while controlling the weather and giving Nightcrawler a big blue boner.

:p

25. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    that's pretty much the worst logic i've ever heard.