main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph X-Men Movies & TV - Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Oct 6, 2010.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Deadpool 3 Already Being Planned, May Introduce the X-Force

I'm really not surprised to hear there are plans for a Deadpool 3. I mean, most comic books are expected to be a trilogy from the start. And it would make sense to spin off X-Force from Deadpool, since the reports are the Domino and Cable are set to appear in Deadpool 2.

2. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007

Yeah that's my biggest concern. I'd like a full clean break even though I do like most of the cast choices (minus Mystique as I don't think they will ever let Jlaw play a villain).

But at this point I'll accept for of the same 'Mystique/Wolverine/Xavier/Magneto the movie, also staring the X-men' so long as everyone at least LOOKS like they should and they undo things like killing everyone offscreen in Days, bring the movies into the present day, and stop making prominent X-men villains.

Give me X-men with decent adaptions of comic costumes and Psylocke and Emma Frost alive and (eventually) on the X-men and I'll tolerate every movie being soley about Mystique/Wolverine/Xavier/Magneto.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Well, Bryan Singer leaving the franchise is a great start. There's hope for a director that won't shy away from the bright color costumes that look close to the source material.

I feel if Fox continues will Xavier/Magneto/Mystique they're limiting themselves and stumping the growth of the other X-Men like Cyclops, Storm, Jean Grey, etc. I mean, Colossus and Negasonic Teenage Warhead in Deadpool were more enjoyable than most of the X-Men that were featured in previous films. They both had distinguished personalities and appearance that expanded the X-Men universe and gave a glimpse of how the characters are in the comic books. I would like to see the X-Men franchise expand in that way.

4. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Emma and Psylocke's cast and costume was ok, the problem was their role in the story.

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So Singer's second tenure at the X-helm is at an end, I guess. We got some great movies out of him and, to my eyes, basically only one "meh" installment in Apocalypse and there's still a bunch of stuff in that movie I like. I still don't know about this reboot within reboots without end. Or is the X-verse going to continually have a sort of shady continuity from installment to installment. Which, honestly, has actually kind of been working out.

6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Which conspicuously used at least two actors reprising their roles from the preceding films... just for the lulz?

As much as I like the sound of the phrase "stumping the growth", the word you're looking for is stunting.

7. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007

Rebecca Romjn and Hugh Jackman were more along the line of easter eggs and cameos rather than meaningful connections. I mean Wolverine was supposed to cameo in Spider-man the movie, that wouldn't make them in the same universe.

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Are you thinking of Captain America?

9. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007

No I'm pretty sure in the first spider-man movie Wolverine was supposed to cameo but it was eventually nixed.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    You sure you're not thinking of this set gag?

11. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
  12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What was your problem with Emma in First Class or do you just mean how she, and the other, was used in Days of future past?

13. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I'm sure the studio wants the star power, but I think another factor too is that they have to give those actors prominent roles to convince them to come back, now that their contracts are fulfilled (I'm assuming their deals were three movies?).

14. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I think she should get more stuff to do and shouldn't be killed off in DotP.

GenAntilles and Gamiel like this.
  15. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007

Yup. If they weren't going to use her because she didn't fit the story and/or they didn't care for January Jones' performance... then don't mention her and in a later movie bring her back with a new actress or what not. No one else aged in 20 years so i doubt anyone would care if Emma didn't either. But just killing her off offhand for no reason... what a way to waste an important and fun character and a ton of story telling opportunity.
    And originally Emma and Xavier were going to have a huge set piece psychic battle... but it was cut for being too expensive and being too much like Inception. So honestly once the big moment for your character is cut, there's really not much left. Not to mention they did not use January Jones well, she can be incredibly funny and does a great job if you use her right, but they gave her nothing to work with.

And the waste of characters is what I dislike most about the X-men movies under Singer. So many great characters... wasted. I get that the main franchise movies can't fit in every character and do them justice, but that's what spinoff films are for. They are doing Deadpool, New Mutants, Gambit, X-Force... there are plenty of places for characters to get time to shine. Instead... you cram in popular characters and kill them off for no reason. So Banshee and Emma are dead, not like you couldn't have used them for a Generation X movie... no FAR better story-wise they get listed off as being killed offscreen so Magneto can be angry... as if he doesn't have reasons to be angry already. :rolleyes:

16. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

So then why re-create Erik's origin nearly beat for beat from the first film? Including using the same music cue that Kamen used. Why did Mystique look exactly the same when she's in her blue state and not more like the comics? If you're making references to earlier films, chances are, they're connected and not Easter Eggs for fans. Remember, Singer was involved in developing the film as part of the same universe. Not starting it over from scratch. That was still true when Vaughn replaced him as director.

As to appearing in "Spider-Man", it would have been the same universe if it was the "Amazing Spider-Man" universe. Likewise, if Fox and Marvel were willing to share Logan as part of the "Avengers" series, then both franchises would have been in the same universe.

Precisely. Fact is that Marvel bent over backwards to keep Downey on beyond "Iron Man 3" and even gave him more money to appear in "Civil War" and "Homecoming". He is their star power like Jackman has been as Wolverine. So Fox deciding that they want to try and keep McAvoy, Fassbender and Lawrence for more films is no different than Marvel trying to keep Downey and Evans on for their franchise. Or even trying to keep Affleck on as Batman. They lucked out in that he volunteered to be in "Suicide Squad", but they had to work to get him into a solo film.

Violent Violet Menace and Gamiel like this.
  17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I think there's a big difference between Tony Stark/Iron Man recurring in the MCU and Professor X, Magneto and Mystique recurring in the X-Men universe. I feel there are a great amount of stories in the X-Men mythos that can be told without those characters. Moreover, Chuck, Erik and Raven already by been portrayed by other actors unlike Tony Stark.

I mean, many of the X-Men fans started with the 90s cartoon, which did not revolve around Prof X, Mags and Mystique but rather the Jim Lee's core X-Men Cyclops, Wolvie (whether is be Logan or Laura Kinney), Storm, Rogue, Gambit, Jean Grey and Beast. I think that's where the reconfiguration/reboot should occur. I would really prefer Fox to develop these characters over tailoring a script for Chuck, Erik and Raven.

I imagine Fox would want these characters to cross over with Deadpool, Cable, etc. and so there's a need for a time jump for the X-Men to present day.

GenAntilles likes this.
  18. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Yes, January Jones' acting wasn't impressive but she could have been a good Emma if she was used well. Instead they focus way too much on Shaw and of course, did a great job on him.

But I think some characters being wasted was unavoidable, movies have limited screen time so they need to focus on some and the popular ones would bring the box office. I was displeased about Emma because she was my favorite Marvel heroine, but I would be ok with others.

The X-Men movie did focus on Wolverine and Jean a lot.

I won't say the 90s cartoon did a good job on Jean though.

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Or Cable and Deadpool can travel back in time and interact with them in the 90's.

Gamiel likes this.
  20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, but that seems like a one and done deal. I want something more long term and cohesive like the MCU. I want a seasoned X-Men team lead by Cyclops not by Mystique.

And from what I understand, Gambit is back on the production schedule. I want to see a Gambit/Rogue relationship.

PCCViking likes this.
  21. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I've waited for so long to see Mr. Sinister finally going to show up on the screen. He is always my favorite X-Men villain due to his goal. He wasn't a mutant at first, he didn't fear their power but thought that's the path of humanity and wanted to boost the power up. He wanted to make humanity "evolve" through mutant power. Of course he wasn't used well sometimes, but his persona and goal probably made him the best villain of X-Men since I don't count Magneot as purely a villain.

22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I'm not saying that Cyclops won't be leading the team at some point. There's no guarantee that Raven's even leading the team by that point, or we don't see a transition to that point. It's still early days.

23. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Relying on Cable time traveling everyone ALL the time to interact just makes everything too complicated. Not to mention how much damage to history would be done. It makes far more narrative sense to just reboot and let everyone be in the same era rather than try to figure out how to get characters 50 years apart to be able to work together all the time.

The Singer timeline had it's time, let it go, let it die with some measure of dignity rather than continue to let it become this overstretched convoluted mess of tonal shifts and genre dissonance and fan disservice.

Yeah when I think of X-men I see the animated series opening and hear the theme music. If Fox were to make THAT kind of movie I'd guarantee they'd have a blockbuster once they show they are finally embracing the comic roots and aesthetics.

Jlaw is fine but Mystique is NOT a hero and is not the leader of the X-men. If they keep going that route I'll roll my eyes at the movie, but if they at least give me X-men who look like X-men and un-kill the ones they killed off stupidly I'll begrudgingly tolerate it.

24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    See, that's the thing I'm afraid of if Kinberg writes a script that design to lure J-Law back to the franchise. It would be probably something to the effect that Mystique is the leader of the X-Men field's team as that's how the last film ended.

I cringe at the thought of there being a couple of transition films before Cyclops takes on the leadership role. So, I'm hoping J-Law doesn't come back.

If Fox is going to "reboot" the franchise, do it right. Now, is the perfect time with Hugh Jackman leaving and the timeline so of reset. Make the next X-Men in present day, especially in light of the recent US election where immigrants and other in the like are fearful of the government.

GenAntilles likes this.
  25. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Actually they got too many characters to lead, but the villains are a bigger problem. I don't want to see Magneto keep switch back and forth to make sure we have a baddie to fight this time.