main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph X-Men Movies & TV - Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Oct 6, 2010.

1. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Ugh, if at the end of DOFP Trask is revealed to be En Sabah Nur in disguise, I'm simply gonna break down and sob big manly tears. Not of joy. :(

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Why?

I think it would be clever to throw the audience and the characters a curve-ball in that they think the enemy is beaten when the whole time it was actually someone else. It's not as if it hasn't been done before.

I remember when a scientist/scholar who had studied Apocalypse told Archangel that he had located weaknesses that could cause his destruction and where they were. It turned out of course the entire time this person actually was Apocalypse in disguise and had been deliberately leading Archangel down the path he wanted just to mess with his mind, because that is what cool baddies do.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    With Scott and Jean (presumably still) dead, that might be a possible angle.

4. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I understand his goal to create the superior mutant, to bring the power of the mutants to the next stage, but yeah, he focused too much on Cyclops and Jean.

The only thing I don't like about Sinister is that him being a pawn of Apocalypse, I hope they could make him a pure independent villain.

5. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    That is his annoying character trait, and it's easily removed without getting rid of what makes Sinister great.

6. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Don't worry, it's not going to happen, despite what ridiculous arguments you might read on other forums. Fox isn't going to force Apocalypse into the X-Films when the only incentive is that a small segment of the fanbase is clamoring for him. I remember there was all sorts of rampant speculation along these lines leading up to X3 (not here, necessarily, but I remember on superherohype). It was ridiculous then, and it's ridiculous now.

Apocalypse is possible in the future. Any villain is possible if handled right. But DofP is not going to be his show. There's going to be way too much weirdness going on already for a GA.

I will, however, concede that I would have liked the post-credits scene of X3 to have been Scott waking up in Mr. Sinister's lab instead of Xavier waking up in Moira's. Even if it was only for spits and giggles.

7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
  8. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    But we don't know what is coming after DOFP. If Fox wants to do an Age of Apocalypse and X-Force movie it would make sense to tie those into the current movies.

Apocalypse might have nothing to do with the events of DOFP, but Thanos has nothing to do with Avengers until much further down the line and he appeared at the end of the movie to link to another one (Guardians of the Galaxy)

And I wouldn't say "a small segment of the fanbase" wants to see such a character, he is the 3rd most popular X-Men villain so presumably he'll be used at some point because he'd be seen as a big draw.

9. KissMeImARebel

Nov 25, 2003
    In response to SithLordDarthRichie. Sorry may not have explained myself clearly. I should have been more specific:

But we don't know what is coming after DOFP. If Fox wants to do an Age of Apocalypse and X-Force movie it would make sense to tie those into the current movies.

I was referring more specifically to what Darth_Invidious was suggesting, that in the end Trask be revealed to be Apocalypse. That to me is forced. It's an unnecessary plot twist that serves only to please a small portion of the audience, and confuse the rest of it. We're not talking about a secondary plot point in an after credits scene (that may or may not even matter to the events of the main film - ie the after scenes in The Wolverine and probably The Avengers). We're talking about a twist that casts the entire story in another light. A small, organic feeling appearance that works within DoFP itself is fine by me. I don't think it's necessary, but I'm not against it.

Apocalypse might have nothing to do with the events of DOFP, but Thanos has nothing to do with Avengers until much further down the line and he appeared at the end of the movie to link to another one (Guardians of the Galaxy)

This assumes Fox wants to play with Marvel in the same sandbox, and cares enough to start planting major seeds that they don't need to on a mere possibility of a shared universe.

Edit: disregard, I can't read properly. I am in agreement with this statement.

And I wouldn't say "a small segment of the fanbase" wants to see such a character, he is the 3rd most popular X-Men villain so presumably he'll be used at some point because he'd be seen as a big draw.

Going back to my earlier response, I'm not suggesting that the number of folks wanting to see Apocalypse in an X-Film is small (although I don't think it's as big as some fans seem to think it is), just that a very small number would want him to be forced into a plot (or plot twist) that he doesn't need to be in for no good reason.

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Huh? It's a comparison. It makes no assumption of a shared universe.

11. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I do think he could be added to DOFP in a way that would work.

He isn't part of the original story of course, and it can easily be done without him in it. I'd be fine with just Trask and Sentinels of various kinds being the main villains.

12. KissMeImARebel

Nov 25, 2003
    Gah, I'm so sorry. I read that really fast. My bad.

I'm totally cool with planting seeds.

13. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    No. No seeds! No more talk of stupid immortal mutants popping up in this series! Gah! :p

14. KissMeImARebel

Nov 25, 2003
    Don't worry. I still think your safe from being subjected to Apocalypse this time around. And probably for the near future.

I can't say I'm inherently against seeds in general/seeds for Apocalypse/Apocalypse showing up as the Big Bad later on, because, well, it could work; I'm open to ideas. And I can't say there isn't a chance he'll pop up at some point, because Fox might tire of the same Charles vs Magneto vs Bigots schtick, and they need someone to step in as the antagonist.

I do wonder if there might be some Age of Apocalypse influence in DoFP though. The two original story lines have a lot in common. They both have:
    - post-Apocalyptic future
    - A key event -- specifically a death -- in the past that triggered the post-Apocalyptic future that needs to be fixed
    - A single member of the protagonists who knows about the this said key event and must convince the others
    - time travel shenanigans
    - Magneto aligned with the X-Men, filling in for Xavier who is dead
    - Sentinels (although, TBF, the Sentinels weren't central antagonists in AoA)

We've also got Bishop showing up in the movie and he was a major player in AoA. The Animated Series in the 90's also melded the two plotlines a bit, and IIRC Singer said he was influence but TAS when he did the first movies.

15. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    To do a proper Age of Apocalypse storyline requires 2 things that make it unlikely:

1) The inclusion of time travel to restore things at the end. Given it is about to be used in DoFP it reduces the chance of doing so again and pissing off the general viewing public by reusing a major story thread.

2) A vast investment in the characters so that the fashion they are presented to us in the AoA is both shocking and intriguing. I would argue that at the current time there are only maybe 5-6 characters we have that for across the range of the movies. Barely enough to sustain the movie as you need to make some villains and still have more than 3 or so still on the good side, requiring a few more outings to increase our attachment to a wider cast group.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  16. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    AoA is one of my fave storylines, but I can't see a good movie made out of it. I'd like to see a good animated version first!

17. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    "Feeble Mutant, you dare challenge Apocalypse? Blasphemer!"

"There exists no freedom from me, there is only freedom through me"

18. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999

You're quoting the 90's TV series? Please don't. It's bad enough that version of Pock-Lips was more insufferable than its comics counterpart. Yeah, just in case it wasn't obvious enough, I don't much care for the so-called High Lord.:p

Could there be a decent animated version of AoA considering how bleak that story was? For that matter, will there be further animated X-Men projects? It seems like Marvel is only focusing on Spidey and the Avengers lately. And IMO, none of the X-Men series seem to have done the trick as far as getting a nod of approval from my inner mutant dork. I think they all fail in getting the mood right; by doing really stupid things with the characters or their adversaries; and by inevitably hitting the proverbial brick wall when having to adapt the more idiotic and/or convoluted aspects of certain characters and stories.

19. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    The ending of AoA was dumb anyway, as if Magneto could destroy Apocalypse.

Sinister would be a far more practical and useful villain for the movies, at least he can die and is vulnerable to certain mutant abilities.

Marvel will always do a lot of Spider-Man animated shows, he's their most marketable character.
    And even in those they tone stuff down, Carnage has to be tame in a cartoon because he isn't child appropriate if he does the stuff he does in the comics.

I'd like to see more X-Men cartoons, but it's unlikely they could ever adapt the comics as they are given how kid-friendly Disney wants to be. At least the 90s show had the characters look like they were straight out of the comics, I never cared for Evolutions because of the animation style and it was clearly based more on the movies.

20. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Sorry, but before the idiotic Thanos Diet portrayal, Apoc wap quite vulnerable. His own Dark Riders beat him up in X-Cutioner's Song! He only survived because Warren decided not to finish him. AoA was merely portraying him the way he had been portrayed in comics until that point.

And if anything the current portrayal of Sinister (the Sinister species) is far more invulnerable. So if you think they can portray good old Nathaniel as a killable character, they sure can go back to En Sabah Nur as an Egyptian shapeshifter with a lot of hubris.

21. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I still remember the old cartoon, Sinister got blasted to pieces and was still reforming.

22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Sinister is very durable sure, in a similar way to Wolverine he is capable of healing from wounds that would kill most others.
    But he is not immortal, and Apocalypse is.

Wasn't Apocalypse capable of altering his molecular structure at that point? If so, all he needed to do was turn himself into rock or plastic which would render Magneto powerless against him.

23. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    In AoA? Not that we know. You might be thinking of Mikhail Rasputin? And even if he could, and I doubt it, Eric killed him in one single blow. Apoc wasn't nigh invulnerable until after AoA, probably because they didn't know where to go with him after having him achieve his goals in the alternate world and because the cartoon was still popular. In the process they left him unusable for 15 years. Way to go.

24. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Being able to control his body at the molecular level is listed as one of Apocalypse's numerous powers, so he can do it. He did of course gain more power over time as he gained Celestial Tech and other things, so during AoA he might have been vulnerable to Magneto with his metal exosuit thing.

But him being nearly invulnerable does indeed cause writers problems, and would be a problem in a movie.
    As much as I'd like to see him be like this:

It probably isn't a good idea.

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They could pull a Monty Python and have the animator die of a sudden heart attack causing Apocalypse to be no more.

DarthIntegral likes this.