main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph X-Men Movies & TV - Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Oct 6, 2010.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    A three month delay of Dark Phoenix doesn't seem to be too bad of a wait or a red flag of something is off. If it weren't for Venom being released in October, it would have been the longest stretch between comic book films in years, as there would have been like a five month period between the July 6th release of Ant-Man and The Wasp and the December 21st release of Aquaman. Man, I've been really spoiled with comic book movies nowadays, as I remember it like a year or evens years between a comic book film.

As for New Mutants, being delayed for a second time to add another character for at least 50% of the film? That is a red flag for at the very least, studio interference. From the report I viewed from Collider yesterday, the film tested well but it wasn't scary. Reportedly, the studio really wants New Mutants to be considered a horror film. Additionally, the report noted that it could be more than one character added to the film. However, Josh Boone feels he delivered the film that was agreed upon and doesn't feel like it need changes. So, I don't think it will be a surprise if it's announce that Boone has left the project.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    At the very least, I think we can expect Fox video to milk multiple Blu Ray releases- "New Mutants", "New Mutants: Director's Cut", "New Mutants: Rogue Cut", etc.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  3. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    There's a few rumblings, that have been out there for a bit now, that line up with the Collider piece but also cast some of what it says in a different light. Yes Fox wants to add more horror elements with the reshoots but not just to make it scarier like the article leads you to believe. They were wanting something in the vein of Stranger Things but aged up. What Boone gave them was more in line with traditional horror. So yes they want to add in more horror but it's addition by replacement, taking out a lot of what they already have. That's why the reshoots are so extensive.

And there's also some echoes of what you thought you had heard earlier about the humor. Not that they simply want to add more in but also change out some of that as well. It already has humor in it but some of it is rather dark and misplaced in a story centered around teens aimed at a wider general audience rather than core horror fans.

As for Boone he may have been sidelined already and remain as director in name only.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    A shame that Fox will be, more or less, going out on a note of studio interference. I mean, yeah, if the movie ends up being better, it'll look better for them, but it's still a stigma they've had for a long time.

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    It's odd Fox got so hands on with New Mutants when their, apparently, hands off approach to Logan and Deadpool is what made them work. There's a clear voice in those films and they don't feel like a studio groupthink project.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Different anon insider take on New Mutants and instead of studio meddling it's studio wishy-washy and maybe Boone did want to make a horror movie in the first place, it became a YA superhero movie, and now it's back to horror after It.

So it's not meddling really according to this, it's Fox didn't know which movie they wanted to make, until It came out and the trailer looked more horror. So from this it sounds like

"we wanna make a mutant horror movie!"
    "Okay but make it PG-13 and superhero-y with some horror ish lite elements."
    "Uhm, okay"
    *Makes movie, It comes out*
    "Wait, dammit, go back and make that mutant horror movie you wanted!"
    "Ugh, fine."

http://www.tracking-board.com/insid...uding-a-top-secret-new-cast-member-exclusive/

At first, Boone and Lee wanted to make a horror movie, but Fox was initially resistant to that idea, as the studio didn’t want to go “full horror.” Sources say that Fox demanded a PG-13 rating and pushed back against the film’s horror elements, such as excessive blood and scares. Eventually, everyone got on the same page, and together, they set out to make a YA movie that felt like a cross between Stephen King and John Hughes. Fox film chief Stacey Snider is basically quoted as calling New Mutants a superhero movie set in a Breakfast Club-like setting whose genre is more like The Shining than “let’s save the world.”

And then… It happened.

It was released in early September and did incredibly well for Warner Bros., even beyond the studio’s wildest nightmares, er, dreams. In response, Fox cut a trailer for New Mutants that played up the scary elements from the film, essentially selling it as a straight-up horror movie — this despite the fact that in its first test screening, New Mutants scored the exact same number as the first screening of Deadpool and besides the very end, reshoots were deemed unnecessary. However, because of that well-received trailer, audiences were now expecting a horror movie.

At that point, Fox decided that instead of doing the three days of additional filming required to complete the YA movie that everyone had initially agreed to go make, the studio would change course and make a new version of the movie that was straight-up horror, which was what Boone and Lee originally wanted to do in the first place. It’s a little like a diner sending back a meal at a restaurant — not because there was something wrong with it, but because they simply changed their minds and wanted to order a different entrée, or movie, in this case.

Those close to the director said he always felt a bit neutered during principal photography, as he was forced to tone down the violence in order to avoid a dreaded R-rating. And because Boone was contractually obligated to shoot what was in the script, there was only so much he could do despite his and Lee’s best instincts. Sources say that while the second half of New Mutants is basically locked at this point, the first half of the film needs some work, and that Boone will likely add a bunch of scares that didn’t initially appeal to Fox execs. He and Lee might even stand a better chance of getting what they want now than they did during the initial development phase. In the end though, insiders chalk up the confusion surrounding the tonal identity of New Mutants to the lack of a strong producer on set, as lead producer Simon Kinberg was often busy making his own X-Men movie, Dark Phoenix.

The New Mutants situation may be a mess, but insiders believe it’s a fixable one. By all accounts, it has been a stressful shoot for Boone, but he has fought the good fight in the name of making the best movie possible for fans. If the studio truly thought this was his fault, they probably would’ve fired him and brought in someone else like Lucasfilm did with Ron Howard on Solo, but Fox execs know this problem is of their own doing. That’s why they aren’t kicking him to the curb, and why they’re allowing him to both write and direct the new material. Plus, he makes a convenient scapegoat.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  7. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    So, basically we're getting a hard R movie now? Crap!

8. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    Ok so they, supposedly, had a movie that tested well then they cut a trailer for said movie that was selling something that the movie wasn't (???) but because they feel like the trailer also got a positive response they're reshooting a massive chunk to that positively tested movie because they didn't want audiences to walk away feeling like the movie didn't live up to that first trailer?

I'm sorry but that just sounds absurd. Some part of that equation isn't right. Studios don't do massive reshoots when they think they already have a good movie in the can because of a trailer.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and WebLurker like this.
  9. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Rumor on who Jessica Chastain’s character is in Dark Phoenix:

Ms. Sinister

Very intriguing if true.

10. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    I wonder if the recent Jon Hamm rumor with regard to NM got that one rolling?

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

Yeah, that never happens.

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I was so looking forward to an XMen film coming out around my birthday, but now I have to settle for a (probably) neutered Freddy Mercury biopic.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    WB didn't delay SS a year and a half in order to reshoot half of it towards to making it more like it was depicted in a single trailer.

They had 2 edits of the film one of which was closer to how it had been depicted in the trailers and the other that was more in-line tonally with it's DCEU predecessor BvS, which they were experiencing buyer's remorse over. They chose to make changes towards the first option during fairly run of the mill reshoots.

Those moves didn't make a great movie but they did make sense in light of the studio being unhappy with the performance of BvS and believing that it's tone was part of the problem. The scenario with NM as described doesn't.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They didn't delay SS, no- but after the Bohemian Rhapsody trailer being well-received in the aftermath of BVS, the trailer very much influenced them to create the second "dossier edition" of the film during reshoots to better match the tone that people were finding appealing about the trailer, which became the theatrical cut.

That they managed to do so while hitting their target release date doesn't affect the effect the trailer had on altering the originally intended film.

15. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    Yes but again they already had 2 edits of the movie. They just used the reshoots to plus up the version of it they decided to go with because, as we both pointed out, they were wanting to move away from putting out another movie they felt was too similar to BvS, which had left a bad taste in their mouths. The response to the trailer wasn't the only factor driving that decision and likely not even the major factor.

That account of the NM situation isn't the same. They supposedly already had a cut that was testing well (as good as DP2 they claim, which based on Fox's response to the testing rumors from a couple of weeks ago had tested better than the original DP did). But the response to the trailer (which as far as I can tell, while good, isn't on the same level as that for the SS trailers. People were raving about those.) is supposedly enough all on it's own to make them ignore that and opt for significant reshoots requiring a lengthy delay? It just doesn't add up.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  16. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Funny you should mention the NM trailer. I saw it again the other night prior to Ready Player One and it's been playing nonstop in my local theater chain since late last year. It's gonna be rather funny if the reshoots produce a rather very different film compared to what that trailer is selling. :p

17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I heard a report over the weekend that New Mutants was pushed back for a second time to digitally erase a mustache.

18. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    DC-Marvel crossover event confirmed!

BigAl6ft6 and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  19. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It all depends on who the new character is, as that person might require quite a bit of CGI work. Like say, Warlock or Lockheed. Not saying it's them, but you get the point. Also, isn't Maisie Williams still involved with "Game Of Thrones"? That might also be a factor.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Are you saying Maisie Williams is manish and she's the actor that needs the digital mustache shaved?

21. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    He probably got the names mixed up and meant Sophie Turner.

22. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    maisie williams is the one in new mutants i believe. or are you saying sophie turner has a moustache?

23. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Oh. Then I'm the one who's mixed up. Turner plays the young version of Jean Grey, and I assumed he had the GoT alums mixed up.
    Edit: which I now realise was stupid, 'cause that's the other movie.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    tom likes this.
  24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    The first episode of Season 2 of Legion feels like the first episode of Season 1 in that there's a lot of WTF moments and you find yourself paying close attention to and gather as many clues as possible to help figure out what's going on. However, there are numerous moments of exposition to help the viewer. But, it's still so bizarre, unorthodox and fragmented and I love the show for it and I'm just talking about the visuals. The story telling is another piece of art work of the series. Additionally, the new characters are so wacky and weird, that just them along are caused for intrigue and they feel very anime-like to me.

BigAl6ft6 and heels1785 like this.
  25. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    JON HAMM!

it's so close between legion and the gifted, and then many miles back to anything else when it comes to ota comic book television. good for fox, doing great.

BigAl6ft6 and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.