main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph X-Men Movies & TV - Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Oct 6, 2010.

1. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Strange choice. Why break with consistency on the last movie in the series? Are they treating it as a spinoff?

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I’m thinking it’s just Fox’s final trend of X-properties. “Deadpool”, “Logan”, “The New Mutants”, “Legion”, “The Gifted” & “Dark Phoenix”, not “X-Men Origins: Deadpool”, “Wolverine III”, “X-Men: Legion”, “X-Factor”, etc.

Granted, X-Force will break that trend but the rest tracks.

Random Comments and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  3. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Sure, but all of those are spinoffs.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    True. But it's Fox. Not sure that matters to them, especially since they were clearly seeing the franchise's future in terms of spinoffs (ie: of all the half-dozen or so X-movies in development or production that we know about, there really wasn't any indication of a core X-Men film beyond XMDP).

5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    To follow up this story, yesterday news broke that Comcast is making an all cash offer to buy Fox's assets, whereas Disney was offering, reportedly, is in stock options. Today, Disney's CEO, Bob Iger, responded to the Comcast bid.

In other X-Men related stuff, the latest episode of Legion was crazy messed up. It shows a twisted side to villain and it isn't mass destruction or killing, but rather more personal. It's very...

[​IMG]

Which of course has been very taboo in comic books since then.

6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    X-Men Apocalypse was a terrible movie. But I remain captivated by that opening sequence in ancient Egypt.

7. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    You're not alone. Even Marvel fans found X-Men Apocalypse a terrible film.

8. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I'm one of those nutcases who likes that movie. However, I will agree that the opening is the most impressive part of the movie (save for Quicksilver's saving the students and teachers from the explosion, but those are so different in tone, they're not an even comparison).

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think Fox would rather have the Disney stock options- those'll be worth more, if not now, then eventually. The streaming service's likely success as a Netflix competitor, the theme park expansion possibilities with the Fox properties, the original Star Wars home video rights, the added MCU roster access, etc. Those'll be leveraged much more effectively by Disney than Comcast.

Comcast may have Universal for theme parks- but they have limited space. And they simply won't be able to compete on a streaming level with Disney & Netflix- they don't have the content, even with a Fox acquisition, to boost/repurpose Hulu in the same way.

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Legion was great last night. Loved the direct reference to A Clockwork Orange, among other parts of the episode.

11. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Agreed. I highly doubt Fox is looking too seriously at Comcast. And even if they were, one reason alone to stop them in their tracks: Infinity War. The fact that the film is racing through the box office and breaking records rapidly has to give them pause. That's just one Marvel film. That says nothing of the three other Disney owned properties coming this summer: Solo, Incredibles 2, Ant-Man and the Wasp, nor does it touch on what's coming soon: Mary Poppins, Captain Marvel, Avengers 4, Toy Story 4, Star Wars 9, etc.

By contrast, what does Comcast really offer? Disney stock is likely to skyrocket in the next few years- especially when completion of the Star Wars theme park is done and more Marvel properties are added. Between that, Disney's own planned streaming service, and the existing properties, Disney stock will hold far more value long term than Comcast's up front cash offer.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Plus, on a theme park level, Universal will be focused on their Super Nintendo World area. While they can do more than one thing at the same time, if they got the Fox properties, it would be some time before anything substantial (like, beyond a stunt show or re-themed existing attraction) could be done with it. Whereas Disney already has Pandora to anchor one Fox property (and previously featured at least one other [Alien] in the Great Movie Ride) and could easily add in several Fox properties in several different locations.

13. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Legion 2:4

so - if I followed it correctly , Syd was born with an aversion to being touched , she was close to her mum but got a bit bullied in school . Her mum got a new boyfriend , Syd took over her mum's body had sex with the new bf then switched back in the middle of it and he got sent to prison for rape .

have I got that right ?

14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    That's right. Messed up, huh? But was the point of Syd's story to which David had to figure out.

15. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    So was it that she wanted to have sex with her mum's bf , or was it a deliberate ploy to get him arrested ?

16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i just finished season 1, so i should probably get the hell out of this thread until i'm caught up, but she talks about it in season 1 as if it were more curiosity than anything.

BigAl6ft6 and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    My interpretation is that she did want to have sex with her mom's boyfriend, but not as some twisted thing or to hurt her mom but rather an opportunity to experience sex because of her powers.

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah I think it's been established that she can't control when her body returns to where her mind is.

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    It also puts a point on it, and I was talking about this in Season 1, that she actually swaps physical space with the person when it reverts back. So she's in their body for a bit and when it switches off, Syd appears where that person was instantaneously. This is an odd quirk to her powers but there's only so much one can debate about how/why/logical powers work in the X-Men universe so just gotta roll with it.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  20. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    It's basically her mind goes to another body but her own body catches back up to her. In fact I'd wager physical distance between her and the person she's touched impacts how quickly or not her body returns to her mind.

21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    'The Gifted' Moves to New Day and Time for Season 2

I'm so happy that The Gifted has moved away from going head-to-head with Monday Night Football and gets an prime time 8pm slot.

I didn't think I'd like the show going into it, but The Gifted did a great job in developing Polaris and the Stepford Cuckoos. I still didn't care all that much about the family, until the two kids did they "Wonder Twins Powers, ACTIVATE!" thing. And I'm a fan of Blink too. I'm looking forward to season two.

BigAl6ft6 and heels1785 like this.
  22. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    During Fox's movie run from 2000-2016, I realized only about 6 X-Men were ever going to get focus in the movies (and two of them, Magneto, Mystique were villains).

Who would have thought we'd end up with a tv show about Magneto's daughter (The Gifted) and Xavier's son (Legion).

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    soitscometothis likes this.
  23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yay to see the Stepford Cuckoos getting to series regular. Their big introduction scene, and when they first talk to the mutant club, may be my favourite scene of the entire series.

As for Legion, watched the last 2 eps and they were both so very awesome. The "Where did Lenny come from" is basically a slow-burn horror movie of an episode. I'll admit, it took me a few minutes to remember that was David's sister (I think she drops out in episode 7 of Season 1) but I did in time and what they did with her.... yikes! (I think she was a series regular on S1 and only credited as a guest star on S2) but it made you feel it. And the 2nd ep is the parallel David story, which seems like an odd interlude, but it did let the show go wild with different versions of David and lots of cool little vignettes (also they straight up did Clockwork Orange in one scene!). And the ending where the one David we were following was "Prime" David, which showed us his relationship with his sister, again doubled down on the gut punch twist from the previous episode.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, the last "Sliding Doors" episode of Legion was a bizarre yet wonderful way of story telling and strengthen the brother and sister relation between David and his sister. As such, I feel Legion is better viewed as a "binge watch" to get the narrative of the story as each episode feels fragmented on their own. I really appreciate the amount of time and effort put into the last episode as it covered to many potential story lines and outcomes, but yet tells the "Prime" narrative within it all. So good.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Personally, I've found the last 3 eps to be nicely episodic, something that seems to be lost in the bringe/serialization era, but each ep has had it's own distinct theme/central character. But the show does work nicely in chunks and one's own pace. Maybe the entire season in one shot in a single day may be a bit too much, you'd probably be as sideways as David by the end of it.