main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph X-Men Movies & TV - Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Oct 6, 2010.

1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    ITT we talk about the upcoming X-Men prequel movie. Because hell yeah mutants.

What we know about this movie:

Before Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr took the names Professor X and Magneto, they were two young men discovering their powers for the first time. Before they were archenemies, they were closest of friends, working together, with other Mutants (some familiar, some new), to stop the greatest threat the world has ever known. In the process, a rift between them opened, which began the eternal war between Magneto?s Brotherhood and Professor X?s X-Men. (Official Press Release)

The movie is directed by Matthew "Kick-Ass" Vaughn and stars James McAvoy (Charles Xavier), Michael Fassbender (Erik "Magneto" Lennsher) and Kevin Bacon (Sebastian Shaw).

More confirmed actors and roles: January Jones (Emma Frost), Rose Byrne (Moira MacTaggert), Nicholas Hoult (Henry "Beast" McCoy), Jennifer Lawrence (Mystique), Caleb Landry Jones (Sean "Banshee" Cassidy), Lucas Till (Alex "Havok" Summers), Edi Gathegi (Armando "Darwin" Muñoz), Jason Flemyng (Azazel) and Álex González (Riptide).

The movie's confirmed to be a period piece, taking place in the 1960s (we can expect to see some classic spandex) and the villains are confirmed to be the Hellfire Club.

Also: an Emma Frost picture!

*snip*

Emma Frost!

Discuss.

2. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I really hope this is good. It's pretty ballsy to do a period piece super hero movie, that's for sure.

3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Main cast is exciting! Other confirmed actors look good too! I look forward to this and must catch up on more X-Men.

4. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah, I agree. I hope it doesn't end up being Austin Superpowers. Har har I kill myself.

Oh, I'm expecting the comic book fans to go "wtf Azazel!?!?!". :p

5. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    I'll definitely watch it!

6. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Ugh, I always get my hopes up with these X-Men films and then am bitterly disappointed when they turn out to be awful.

7. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i liked the first two, the third one never happened. i'll give this a shot.

8. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008

Wait wait wait....
    Does Emma Frost NOT age?

Because she's already cameo'd as a TEENAGER in Wolverine, which took place in 1979....
    [image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bb/Emma_Frost_1_(Tahyna_Tozzi).png]
    So if this takes place in the 60s, she'd really be an infant...

Tahnya Tazzi being 24...January Jones being 32....

Or is this going to be in a separate universe? Since you knwo...Marvel has about 50 different continuities going on at once...

9. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    this is a family board. that sort of language is frowned up.

mods????

10. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    You do know "WTF" is now allowed, don't you? And that Dave is a mod? o_O

11. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    o

is **** allowed?

o

12. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    yep.

Rose Bryne is yummy, and a pretty good protagonist on Damages.

I still won't be watching this movie but I'm just saying.

13. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Just the abbreviation. Mods realised that it's really unfair to be so prejudiced against the letter "F"... :p

14. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Fangus.
    Well, Silverfox's sister was billed as just "Emma", no last name, so you can consider her powers an easter egg and a nod towards Frost and not really the White Queen. Or that's what I hope.

15. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    :oops: I thought they were trying to make this better than X3 and Wolverine Origins?

"Hmmm lets bring in a character from one of the worst X-Men runs in the last decade. That will please the fans for sure!"

16. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Yes, probably the most hated X-character of the decade. I think Vaughn is just trolling us.

17. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    January Jones is still young and hot looking enough to play a twenty-odd year old girl, I think. So I don't see that as a big deal.

18. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    The problem people are having is that the character has been used already in Wolverine and appears to be younger then this version (if going by the actor's ages) that takes place some 20-25 years earlier. However, as Dave pointed out, the Emma of Wolverine could simply be a different person with a similar name and borrowing Ms Frost's secondary mutation (which probably hasn't developed for her yet). She could also be manipulating people's perception of her appearance, but thats a little far to go to cover a continuity issue.

That and the use of other characters in the cast already present in the series (Beast, Mystique), makes think that this isn't in continuity with the previous series. I mean I suppose Alex and Scott could be different generations or not related at all, but traditionally they are brothers and this would set them roughly 20 years apart as well.

19. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I see. So it's a question of canon of the comics, huh?

20. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Its a question of continuity between movies, and whether or not this fits.

21. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I still think the "Emma" from Wolverine is going to be retconned into a completely different character. Beast and Mystique are not that problematic IMO. Hank could easily be a teenage mutant and Mystique is like 200 years old in the comics.

I don't know, it would be kind of stupid to reboot the franchise when Wolverine 2 is still in pre-production.

22. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    It doesn't have to be a reboot, just a film out of context.

And didn't Jean mention that both Scott and her were some of the professor's earliest students, perhaps not the first class, but unless the professor waited a long time before recruiting them, they would both be much older than depicted.

23. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Regarding all this continuity talk... who flippin' cares (some do, I know)?

Just make a good movie, unlike the last two, and I won't care if Beast grew up during the Taiping Rebellion and Emma Frost is like Richard from Lost.

24. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I thought all the prequels were going to be subtitled X-Men Origins followed by the character. So there would be X-Men Origins: Charles Xavier & X-Men Origins: Storm to follow Wolverine. Giving this movie a seperate title doesn't make it seem like they're linking it so much continuity-wise with the Wolverine movie.

Also, I don't really see why it should be called a period piece just because it takes place in the 1960s. "Period piece" suggests that it's set in the 1800s.

25. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Yet "period piece set in the 1960s" suggests it's set in the 1960s.