main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph X-Men Movies & TV - Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Oct 6, 2010.

1. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    It also had my favorite Stan Lee cameo.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  2. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Agreed. Best Stan Cameo Ever!

cerealbox likes this.
  3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I'm sure where the setting of the cameo was in Deadpoool it's Stan's favorite. It's probably the one of the only places left where a dollar bill still have value.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Saw the Legion pilot. It's already better than all of the DC Murderverse, and many of the Marvel movies.

5. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Wonder why so much confusion.

I don't want to see a movie with gore, blood, f-bombs, nudity, etc. Therefore, I don't really need to ask whether or not God (or whatever supernatural entity or entities you believe do or no not exist) cares or not, since it doesn't have much bearing on me saying "no."

Mine (of the movies I've seen) was in Amazing Spider-Man 1, which is ironic, since I don't like that movie.

6. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Yes well, you'd have to see what Stan was doing (or rather, where he was) in his DP cameo to get the gist of the discussion.

7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    He wouldn't like it. If a few naughty words make him think Deadpool was a failure, boobies would likely make his head explode.

cerealbox and Darth_Invidious like this.
  8. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    This is a total pipe dream, but I'd love to see Fox collaborate with Marvel Studios on Wolverine after Logan comes out. They have Deadpool as the big money maker, that's going to lead to an X-Force movie, it seems like they're trying to make another mainline X-Men film, they have Gambit (if it ever gets made) backed by Channing Tatum, and The New Mutants as well, which to me at least is the most exciting film they currently have in development. They have enough going on with their other characters that they don't need to worry about recasting Wolverine any time soon, which is good because they have literally no wiggle room. They've established that Wolverine looks like Hugh Jackman from ~1860 until 2029, so they can't pull off a "the same character but younger" thing like they did with Professor X, Magneto, Mystique, Beast, Cyclops, etc. And Wolverine is too major of a character to justify a "recast and ignore previous version" move, like Gambit, Sabretooth, Emma Frost.

But he's way too popular and iconic to waste, and I kind of feel the only way people would get excited about a new actor in the role after Jackman's pitch perfect,17-year, 9-movie run is if they get the added bonus of seeing him with the other Marvel characters, a la Spider-Man. And this way Fox is still getting money out of the deal, while boosting the character's "brand." Wolverine in the MCU films, in solo movies co-produced by Marvel and Fox, in something at least resembling the classic costume, on screen with The Avengers characters? I think I'd have a heart attack. Obviously this is probably never going to happen, but it's still fun to think about. I'm curious as to how they'll actually handle Wolverine after Logan comes out and Hugh Jackman is, presumably, finished with the role.

9. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    ok saw the Legion pilot , I enjoyed it , just one question - what the hell was it about ?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Yes.

BigAl6ft6 and dp4m like this.
  11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Taken at face value, it's about what it says it is: one of the most powerful mutants in the world who may, or may not, have mental health issues -- which then provides the question: what is real?

Taken not at face value, there is a lot of backstory they are intentionally remaining coy on, for those who are familiar with a modicum of the comics which involve David Haller, just in case they want to go absolutely, positively batpoop crazy with some of that stuff later on.

Also, one unresolved (and totally crazy bit) from the pilot:
    That fat yellow "demon" may be Mojo -- the ruler of the Mojoverse. This won't make sense if you haven't read the comics, but usually there is a lot of TV imagery associated with him.

The2ndQuest and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  12. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I don't know. That seems like kind of a Longshot.

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    THAT WAS THE EXACT JOKE I MADE ON AVCLUB!!!

/highfive

BigAl6ft6 and PymParticles like this.
  14. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    *high fives computer screen*
    *knocks laptop off counter*
    *screen is cracked*
    *frantically goes to pick it up*
    *spills coffee all over keyboard*

15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
  16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Turner seems to confirm Supernova is filming this summer, suggesting a 2018 release date.

"We’re about to start shooting the next X-Men, we’ve just finished shooting Season 7 of [Game of] Thrones, and I’ve got a couple of movies to do before X-Men starts. And then we go on to Season 8.”

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Legion was so nifty. I admit it's intentionally, stylistically extreme but it works. It's a show about a guy who has a tenuous grasp on reality who has psychic powers so things are going to frequently go sideways. Hell, for the longest time I thought the show was set in the 70s but that's just the visual vibe of mostly the hospital scenes, when the interrogator was asking questions he had a fancy data pad on him. I really though Hamilish Linklater (who pops up in a lot of Woody Allen flicks) was one of my favourite non-David bits in the episode and I hope that even though he got clearly blasted at the end that they can bring him back. There is a lot of stuff that is weird and sort of unexplained but you could read between the lines. I will say I am still genuinely befuddled how David escaped from the hospital, he swapped bodies with Syd but he changed back into David when he/she was outside sitting in the park. But I'm pretty sure that one is going to be explained in a bit more detail, hopefully. But the show is so darn cool to look at that it can get a pass for just being weird for the sake of weird. And that final, beauty of a tracking shot when David is saved by people with superpowers (who kind of look like WWII-era French Resistance just kinda cuz) totally fits because it's wild and huge and David seeing people who work in a larger life with superpowers than he does. So this would be like Legion's version of the X-Men, we'll see how nice they can be. As with a lot of Hawley's stuff, there's monologues and montages and pretty looking oddness. I dig.

As for the "own universe" / "X-flicks universe" question, I don't really see anything that directly contradicts setting in the DoFP/Apocalypse/Deadpool timeline if one really wanted to hammer it in there. As of right now, that is.

18. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Got around to watching Legion and was not disappointed. So much potential for this show going forward and I really appreciate they didn't hold back on the weirdness and confusion in the first episode.

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Also finally watched Legion tonight. And, yeah, it is a weird little critter, isn't it? It'll take another couple episodes to really get a feel for it (given how things do t really start until the last 20 minutes or so, plot-wise and pacing wise) but it's a promising enough start that I'll stick with it for now.

Cast is very interesting and, yeah, there's some confusing things that need to be explained but it's a series so one needs to give it some time.

It also is not set during the 70's (Aubrey's character mentions CNN so it cannot be any earlier than 1980), not that timeline continuity is exactly a reliable aspect of the X-series (especially an entry for a reality [and possibly time] distorting mutant) but, one would assume...

Lastly, I could be wrong but that last sequence seemed to be set in the same location as the Senator/Watchdog/brother ambush on AOS a few episodes ago. Marvel TV getting their bang for their buck, I wonder?

BigAl6ft6 and Diggy like this.
  20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    The time is an odd one in this. The main guys sister dressed like she was in the seventies, CNN was mentioned, and the main interrogator had a tablet.

21. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    https://www.bustle.com/p/when-is-legion-set-the-time-period-ambiguity-is-by-design-36494

22. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Loved the second episode of Legion. Can't wait to see where they take this. And I know they've spoken against this happening, but if Patrick Stewart shows up at any point as Professor X I -will- audibly gasp.

Also, I don't know if anyone saw the weird video showing X-23's origins today, but I watched it on my phone really early in the morning after my girlfriend woke me up while getting ready for work. I went back to sleep and got up a few hours later for class, and was convinced I had a really screwed up dream.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I bought tickets to see Logan on March 2.

I've avoided seeing any additional footage since the 2nd trailer dropped.

25. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    So, is this really good fan art, or an official specialty poster?