main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph X-Men Movies & TV - Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Oct 6, 2010.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, the extended BvS did give more of Lois stuff to do but, ultimately, it's kind of extraneous and her plot works pretty much just as well in the theatrical version, same deal with the Clark and the family of the guy who got Bat-branded. Cool details but ultimately superfluous. Suicide Squad also added a bit more Harley but kinda didn't need it. By contrast, I think the Rogue Cut makes a great film even better.

2. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Legion continues to be a fantastic-looking show. Really could do with binge-watching the season,though.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Short-short version:

Scenario #1: Time travel used to undo previous movies we've seen as a means of rebooting from a cleaner slate.

Scenario #2: Time travel used to undo events within the same movie that we haven't really seen, as a means of continuing the existing movies.

I haven't done a rewatch of the films in a long time so I haven't put a specific list together yet but the XMOW intro, Stryker mission intro w/Wade & Creed, Alkaline Lake/Adamantium sequence would be key, the Cyclops origin (probably from Apocalypse I stead of XMOW), maybe parts of the Jean origin from X3 (to show Xavier & Erik reconciling). That's what mostly comes to mind.

4. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I watched both Fargo seasons almost entirely in binge watches, Howley's stuff works well that way to get into the vibe but, on the flipside, I don't mind a single shot of weirdness in once per week dose.

5. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    The Legion episodes have been filled with metaphors, Easter Eggs and questions, and I found the following two videos very helpful in fleshing those things out.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    IDK, I kinda prefer not knowing WTF is going on at all.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  8. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Whatever the March 2018 movie is, they better start filming now.

9. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    seriously - is anyone following Legion ?

I mean I've never read the comics , is there stuff I need to know ? I don't mind , I'm enjoying it in a trippy way and all , but saying I haven't a clue what's going on would hardly cover it .

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I haven't watched this weeks episode yet but I don't think there's much you need to know- it's just supposed to be a trippy show. There are a couple things here or there that might be comic references but for the most part it, as of the first two episodes, is mostly its own thing (possible Mojo notwithstanding).

EDIT- After watching the third episode I think it's starting to become clear that the series is, for now, not about a crazy mutant or a mutant figuring out he's not crazy but rather
    everyone else figuring out/discovering that they were wrong to assume it was either of those options in the first place but rather a new third option: all of the different personas inside his mind (that crowd surrounding him at the end) and, perhaps, where they came from (I think the Angry Boy story is meant to infer these personalities might be people from the town that was symbolically burned down).

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  12. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Found this new video examining X-Men Origins: Wolverine:

While some of the points are meant to be tongue-in-cheek, there are some interesting observations. I actually agree with the narrator that I never got why the movie has so much hate (okay, maybe why Deadpool fans aren't so hot on it, but it did pave the way for Deadpool's solo movie).

Violent Violet Menace and CT1138 like this.
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well I mean yeah, he's ****ing 90. :p

15. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

Well, he will be missed in the role (one of the few examples of perfect comic book movie casting, IMHO). However, if Stewart thinks that it's time and he gave a worthy final performance, guess it was the right call. Also, I suppose given that Logan seems to be the last installment of the original batch of movies (ignoring the internal timelines thing), Hugh Jackman is retiring from the franchise too, and the baton has been passed to a new cast, it does seem fitting for Stewart to retire from X-Men now.

16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I still hold out hope that Stewart is gonna pop up on Legion.

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Anyway, stolen from Intergalatic Geek Alliance on FB captioned:

"How long was this interview?"

[​IMG]

18. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    BigAl - those are both pics from the Graham Norton show but from seperate episodes , 50 mins each

(edit - d'oh , I get it now )

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    More Kinberg updates.

Kinberg isn’t yet a lock for directing Supernova:

“We can’t confirm what the next movie will be, but I can talk a little about, frankly, what I would do differently if I were to make X-Men: The Last Stand again, which had the Dark Phoenix storyline.
    I think the big mistake we made with that movie – and if anybody is to blame for it it’s the writer, and I was one of them – it’s that we made the Dark Phoenix the subplot of that film, instead of making it the main plot.
    The Dark Phoenix story is the biggest, and in many ways the most epic, saga of the X-Men comics, so you can’t make that the B-plot of the movie. If we were lucky enough to have the opportunity to re-tell that story – and certainly, what we did with the end of Days of Future Past gave us the opportunity to re-tell it – I think we all would want to give it the justice and the space to breath that it deserves.”

-New Mutants still targeting a late spring start date.
    -Gambit still aiming to begin shooting early next year.

“Channing [Tatum] is as determined about getting the character right as Ryan Reynolds was about Deadpool and Hugh [Jackman] was about this Logan movie. We know that when we get those right, the movie succeeds so we want to make sure we get Gambit right because we want him to be the beginning of a whole new franchise.”

-Deadpool 2 aiming for release next year.

-Other X-Spinoffs in consideration:

“We have a sense of where each of all of the existing characters go from Deadpool to New Mutants to the mainland X-Men movies to potentially even X-23. Then, there’s other characters, like X-Flight, like Exiles… There’s a lot of characters to mine going forward. We’re still sort of in this phase where now we’ve completed the Wolverine story with Logan and we begin hopefully with New Mutants and eventually Gambit and continue with Deadpool.”

20. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Wonder how they'll do a second Phoenix adaptation given that the ending is kind of spoiled? Days of Future Past established that Jean survived until at least the mid-21st century and is apparently still good. That also might make retelling the comic hard, given that Jean died in the original story.

21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Watched Legion episode 3, one of my favourite bits again is from Syd when she talks about her power to swap bodies and says that she's proof of the soul. I also loved when Lenny popped up as David was using his powers and said his sister was probably having terrible things happen to her but "you do you!" Interesting ending with David still stuck in his own mind, next episode should be crazy.

22. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    which one's Lenny ?

oh and - does the fat-face guy and Angry-head kid have names ?

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Lenny is Aubrey Plaza's character (the character was apparently intended to be a middle aged man and then they decided to cast Plaza without changing the scripts).

24. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    so basically - it's 12 Monkeys meets Fight Club in Inception .

25. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Actually, in the original story, Jean lived. It was Jim Shooter who wanted her to die. So they can use that version and still have the story have an impact. Which was done with the 90's animated adaptation.