main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph X-Men Movies & TV - Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Oct 6, 2010.

1. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    hmm. Looking at one scene in the trailer, it looks like:

Trask did NOT prepare for Magneto. Magneto + Sentinel army = fun

2. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I don't think either has been established. Interestingly those two movies are the ones Singer seems to cite frequently in interviews. I definitely got Terminator vibes from the future scenes in the second trailer (which I liked). And I know Singer has said he talked to Cameron about his ideas (specifically the time travel ones). However he's also said that he came up with his own set of rules that he stuck to. So, yeah, we don't know....

With respect to the idea of Nimrod (or someone else) having come back in time already in order to create the DoFP Apocalyptic future...I've wondered strongly about that since the bent bullet viral article. That article is supposed to be set in the present but it describes mutants in inhibitor collars and camps, and when it talks about Erik in prison it never mentions any escapes (it doesn't flat out say that he NEVER escaped, but it gives a general impression that he's sat in there for 50 years) --- these don't seem consistent with the previous movies.

3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    What aspects do you mean? I think the suit is kinda silly so that can be changed, but if they make Apocalypse much like he is portrayed in the various animated shows I'll be happy & he'll be an effective villain

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I want Clancy Brown as Apocalypse. I have no idea why.

5. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Because you can't go wrong with the ******* Kurgan, that's why. :p

6. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Brian Singer: Jim, how did you do time travel?

James Cameron: lol made it all up

I like Terminator rules because they're basically non-rules. Singer "consulting" on made up BS is just to get fan hype going.

7. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    So what exactly is "Terminator Rules". Self-fulfilling, alternate, immutable future timeline? I think that's always been the case with the comics' DOFP timeline.

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Movie 1- You can't change the future/everything is preordained

Movie 2- You can change the future, but stuff from the future can exist in the past.

Movie 3- Turns out you can change the future, but only in small doses. Stuff that would have been erased still happens, but can be delayed or whatever.

Movie 4- WE ARE ALL DEAD

9. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    [face_laugh]

To be fair, I do believe him when he says he talking to Cameron. IIRC he said he already had the ideas planned out, but he ran it by Cameron to ask if he thought it "made sense". Although IA that Terminator is inconsistent with it's own "rules" and asking Cameron for any advice is questionable. It probably went down more like:

Singer: Jim, does my time travel plan make sense?
    Cameron: Heck if I know. Go talk to Harlan Ellison.

I think it's also possible that what Singer REALLY wanted to talk to Cameron about was cribbing a plot point or two, or perhaps some of the imagery.

10. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I'm just starting to pay attention to this. Love the trailers (and the old comic). Just hope we get good BS and not the crappy one who made the Superman movie.

11. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    To be fair, Cameron didn't have any involvment in T3 and T4.

12. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Terminator rules: don't let paradoxes get in the way of exciting action.

13. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Bingo

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yep, it was a pretty awesome read.

16. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Must...not...open...link!

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Yep, officially more excited

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

darth-sinister likes this.
  19. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    No you bastich, I won't. :p

Seriously though, I read the original story decades ago. I figure I know the broad outline of the plot. But I have a nasty habit of spoiling myself rotten on stuff like this. In this one case though, I want to be surprised for something truly unexpected.

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Without spoiling anything ('cause that's a dick move), I can just say I'll almost certainly be avoiding all spoiler articles after this one because this one's basically -- since you've read the original story -- confirming you're going to see what you thought you were going to see, except just how much of what you were expecting to see. ;)

Also, it also totally now puts some other "cast news" over the last month or two in perfect context, imo.

21. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Why the box office of the X-Men series weren't as high as the Marvel/Disney ones or the Spider-Man series?

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Because Spider-Man is one of the most popular singular superhero properties ever?

And the X-Men movies compare favorably with the MCU movies except Iron Man because... Robert Downey, Jr.

23. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    X-Men movies also got very good actors, especially Hugh Jackman, Picard and Gandalf.

From what I heard, the X-Men comics were more popular than the Avengers overall, at least for a long while.

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Fun fact: there are three Oscar-winning actors in X-Men and none of them are Patrick Stewart. Nor Jackman. Ensemble pieces are usually also fairly difficult to "open" a film as there's no one star, unless you do it like The Avengers and build up everyone first and still put RDJ primary...

I'm hopeful that DOFP can pull in some serious bank and be done well enough to erase the stink of The Last Stand to get proper X-Men films with more action (which, as much as I loved First Class was it's one critique)...

25. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    dp4m - you've stumped me. Halle Berry, Pacquin, and who else? IMDB isn't quick enough for me at the moment.