main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by wild_karrde, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    According to EmpireOnline Gambit has been cast for the upcoming Wolverine movie starring Hugh Jackman. He's to be played by some guy named Taylor Kitsch (TV's Friday Night Lights). Seems a little young to be, but as long as he can do a real Cajun accent I'm happy! Also, Ryan Reynolds is apparently playing Deadpool.

2. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Meh, Im not crazy about Kitch. He plays the typical brooding jock on FNL, man of few words, etc.

I still think that Josh Holloway would have been great in the role.

3. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, but we finally get to see Gambit. This means the only member of the X-Team from the TV show that we haven't seen yet is Jubilee.

4. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    She was in X-men and X2. In a deleted scene from the second film you got to see her use her abilities. And I haven't seen Morph yet. [face_not_talking]

5. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Was Morph a comic book character? I just thought he was added in the cartoon so they could have a character die?

6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I don't believe Morph was a character from the comic book, but I pretty much missed most of the 90's and early 2000 X-Men comic book runs.

I doubt they'll have Morph since the X-Franchise had Mystique. Interesting enough, Wolverine 62 goes Mystique.

[image=http://www.comicsbulletin.com/reviews/images/0802/wolverine62.jpg]

EDIT: I don't really know anything about the actor playing Gambit, but I've always liked his character in the comic book; untrustworthy, sly and a scoundrel, much like Han Solo but with a cajun accent.

7. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Morph was based on Changeling, a reformed villain who joined the X-Men after his defeat posing as Xavier, who was off elsewhere dealing with Alien Invasion. He died leading the X-Men against the Grotesk, leaving the X-Men with the impression their Professor is dead. The name Morph was later given to one of the Exiles.

I know they won't have Morph simply because he is too obscure a character. I just bustin' CE's Chops as he claimed Jubes was the only X-Man from the Animted series not to make a movie appearance. :p

8. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Gambit always struck me as a character that was over-designed to be cool. Good-looking, wears a trench-coat over his skin-tights, has two mutant abilities not related to each other...

But I'm old, and Gambit was laregly after my X-Men reading days.

I don't see why they would add him to this movie, however, other than because he is a popular character. His character didn't have anything to do with Wolverine, other than also being an X-Man, did he?

9. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    I guess they did have to go younger for the Ragin' Cajun if he's supposed to be involved with Rogue. Hopefully she'll show up, too.

EDIT: my fave X-men cover EVER

[image=http://i20.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/9e/94/f729_1_b.JPG]

10. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Coincidently that was my first issue of X-Men as well.

The choice to include Gambit is interesting. I can't see what purpose he would serve beyond making fans happy and given the rumour this week about another big name that fans have been clamoring for, I suspect that the drive is less about a good story and more about making another over-the-top fangasm flick akin to X-Men The Last Stand. If so I am losing what little interest I had...

And I can think of other characters who have a more personal history with Mr. Howlett I would prefer to see.

11. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    It all depends on story. X1 had a great story, X2 was good as well. X3 was just rubbish. Hopefully with Jackman as a producer he'll be able to make sure the movie stays on track and doesn't try to get bigger than itself. This movie (trilogy) should be more like First Blood than any of the current X-movies.

12. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    I'm really looking forward to the Wolverine movie, it sounds like it should be good.

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    IIRC, Morph originated in the Animated Series and later appeared in the comics, only in a much more annoying form.

YOU DON'T FOOTNOTE THAT! You. Do Not. Footnote. That.

I've been waiting 4 years to hear Reynolds cast as Deadpool- but they kept thretaening to cast him as the Flash instead. Thank god DP won out!

[image=http://image.comicvine.com/uploads/item/8000/7606/2590-deadpool_400.jpg] [image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a8/DeadpoolYellowBoxes.jpg]

14. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    As I stated above Morph was based on Changeling from the comics. His name was changed to Morph as DC had the rights to the name for their character Beast Boy. The name Morph was later given to the Exile.

15. Darth_wanderguard

Darth_wanderguard Game Host star 6 VIP - Game Host

Apr 26, 2005
    Maybe that's how they'll get away with possibly incorporating Xavier in the Wolverine movie?

16. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    The new movie is supposed to take place around 1985 so I doubt "Wheels" will be in it.

17. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Didn't watch to the end of the Credits on X3 didja? ;)

Xavier's got another means of appearing though I doubt he will.

18. Darth_wanderguard

Apr 26, 2005
  19. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
  20. Darth_wanderguard

Apr 26, 2005
    Oh, I see. Please forgive my previous ignorance.

21. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    You'd be surprised how many people missed that...even more missed the hints leading up to it, about the man born brain dead and Xavier's discussion of putting a dying/dead person's consciousness into a brain dead but living body. More yet miss the commentary that states that the brain dead man is Xavier's Twin.

22. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    As Spiderfan said Morph was based on Changeling a short lived character from the 60's. He came back for the 90's animated series. Yes, he was created just so he could die in the 2nd episode and make the world the X-Men live in that much more dangerous. His popularity brought him back to life starting in the second season of the show. Morph first appeared in comics during Age of Apocalypse (although with a different look) and an alternate version of Morph has been a member of the Exiles since the beginning.

23. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999

Dear lord, I'm actually glad that I did miss that!

24. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Ecch, me too.

25. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    I believe it was intended to be a very loose interpretation of Casandra Nova...who I was never a fan of honestly...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.