X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by wild_karrde, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Hm. Pretty good casting for Gambit. As long as Kitsh can prove he can play something with that much energy. He's good in FNL, but he's so mellow it sometimes makes me wonder. We shall see.

I had a chance to read this script last semester but I passed it up. Maybe I should have read it, though... I'll probably wind up seeing it, but I heard from some of my friends who read it that is was meh [face_worried]

-sj loves kevin spacey
  2. Spiderfan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Given the state of the Marvel movies for a few years I can't say I am surprised...
  3. JohnWesleyDowney Force Ghost

star 5

It will be interesting to see if Taylor Kitsch can pull this off. Outside of FNL,
    this is going to be his first really substantial role, though I do think he already
    is either signed for other films, or has one or two in the can. His roles prior to
    FNL were light weight. Can a guy from Kelowna, British Columbia do a thick Cajun
    accent?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambit_(comics)
  4. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    I think he looks the part really well. We'll see about the acting... and the script :p

-sj loves kevin spacey
  5. Reynar_Tedros Force Ghost

star 6
    I really hope Deadpool breaks the fourth wall at least once.
  6. YodaKenobi VIP

VIP
    star 6
    Yeah, that would have been awesome.

Still, glad to hear Gambit's finally going to make it into these X-Men movies. He was always my favorite.
  7. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
    That would be pretty sweet..
  8. chiss_man Force Ghost

star 6
    I'm of the agreement too that Josh Holloway would've been perfect, but I recall reading something once that he didn't want to be "typecast" too much as the "Southern scoundrel". Ah well.
  9. YodaKenobi VIP

VIP
    star 6
    Makes sense. His character on Lost is remarkably similar.
  10. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    Much as I love Deadpool, I'm puzzled as to why he's in this. Gambit is just completely unnecessary. All Gambit is, is a shallow carbon copy of Wolverine. He's got the whole loner without a cause thing down, fairly ruthless, and until he finds Rogue(just like Logan finding Jean, and to a lesser degree in his past, Heather Hudson) he has a heart that's been hardened until he finds that perfect woman(already taken) that melts the icy wall around it.

Other than powers, it's a ripoff of the main character, and it seems pointless to have Gambit anywhere near this film.

If they're gung-ho about making a decent origin movie, why not include Department H, or James Hudson, or some of the characters that would go on to be in Gamma, Beta, or Alpha Flight? It's not like they couldn't make a compelling story based on his actual origin.

Oh, and btw, since Wolverine started there, why not give the Hulk a cameo in this film like he's supposed to be getting a cameo with Iron Man?
  11. Spiderfan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I don't know why any cameos are necessary...

Striker I can see given the allusion in X2 that there was past history between them and that Striker was involved (if not responsible) in giving James his adamantium.

And Sabertooth is a no brainier IMO.

But talk of characters like Juggernaut just make me scratch my head...the inclusion of Deadpool and Gambit seems absurd (though Deadpool's history with Weapon X makes sense). I can't see Deadpool having a large role nor can I see that character being used for simply a cameo, so I am wondering if its meant to be a spring board for a Deadpool solo project.

However the amount of character names being thrown around right now has me flashing back to pre X3 days and has me a little nervous...
  12. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    Did I mention that I want a damn Alpha Flight movie, like now?
  13. Spiderfan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I can't see that happening. I mean who wants to see a movie about Canadian Superheroes...and this is coming from a Canadian. ;)
  14. Chancellor_Ewok Force Ghost

star 6
    What, Wolverine's not Canadian enough for you? :p
  15. Spiderfan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    As if anyone notices he is anymore...

Like every other celebrity and name from Canada he was born here, found work in the states and though he says he is Canadian he visits maybe twice a year. :p

I think most people ignore the Canadian part of his history.
  16. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Deadpool's presence makes sense, since he's got connections to Weapon X. Though I'm surprised they haven't included Lady Deathstrike in this- seems like an obvious role given her relation to Weapon X in X2.

Same here. Just once will do.

"What are you doing here, Wilson?"
    "Trying to get my own spin-off movie."
    "What?"
    "Nothing."
  17. Spiderfan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Given that Wolverine seemed unfamiliar with Deathstrike (wasn't ready for her in the fight and got a pretty quick shock) and Stryker seemed to reference her as someone relatively new since Wolverine was part of Weapon X it seems contradictory to include her. Not to mention she seems kind of young and doesn't this movie take place around the 80s (not including the necesary stuff that occurred over a century ago)? Besides of all the characters that have been involved in Weapon X it seems silly to repeat someone so seemingly minor to the story. I can think of other characters to include. Like Will.i.am as John Wraith.
  18. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Wasn't Deathstrike a former lover of Wolverine's in the comics? Might be interesting if that was something he had forgotten after his memory loss (and she was drugged for their encounter in X2, which would make it more tragic). Seems pretty important to me.
  19. Spiderfan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    The lover element was the story line of the animated series, mixing Deathstrike with Wolverine's love Mariko. In the comics. Deathstrike was the daughter of the scientist responsible for discovering the bonding process who was killed during Wolverine's escape from Weapon X after awaking from his procedure. She swore revenge and hunted him for years.

Again she seemed fairly young in X2 (possibly 25ish) and if the new movie does take place in the mid 80s she would be far too young to be his lost lover. At best I can see being the sister of his lost lover...not as tragic but still saddening.
  20. soitscometothis Force Ghost

star 5
    Much the same can be said of Sabertooth, though. I wasn't keen on what (little) they did with the character in the first X-Men movie.

Characters they should consider: Ogun, immortal ninja martial arts master; Yukio, Japanese ninja killer-for-hire; the Hudsons, James and Heather.
  21. Spiderfan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    As 2ndQuest suggests Wolverine's memory loss could account for that.
  22. soitscometothis Force Ghost

star 5
    Movie Sabertooth could still suck an egg through a straw, though. :(
  23. Spiderfan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    No arguments there. Hopefully in someone else's care the character will be improved upon (akin to Kitty - one of the few pluses of X3 IMO).
  24. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    Has anyone brought up the point that Ryan Reynolds is exclusively in bad movies?

He's a decent actor and a funny guy, but all the movies he's in suck. So this is probably going to suck.
  25. soitscometothis Force Ghost

star 5
    I believe that solojones had the chance to read the script, but she passed. I think we should blame her for everything wrong with movie.

She's a DC, you know.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.