main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit X-wing and TIE Fighter Digital Re-Releases!!!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth_Henning, Oct 28, 2014.

1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    And now we have Wave 2: XvT, XWA (!!!!), DF, KOTOR II, BF II, and Battlegrounds.

I want to assume XvT comes with Balance of Power but I don't see anything about it wait, no, yes it does.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    XvT still sucks but yay XWA. I have my CDs, but now the great unwashed can finally play it.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

3. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, all they need is Rebellion and I'll finally be able to toss all my old CDs.

DelRiego likes this.
  4. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Speaking of KOTOR II, does the digital includes the restored content mod, or that still needs to be downloaded additionally?

5. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Wasn't that a fan thing?

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That would be nice, since you already need to use third-party installers or registry hacks to get Rebellion to even work. Same with XWA, so I might grab it just for the ease of installing.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

CooperTFN likes this.
  7. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Still waiting for an epic GOG sale to have the first wave of games cheap, it's coming....eventually.

8. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    XWA requires registry hacks? I'm pretty sure my copy works. I'll have to check when I get home.

Does multiplayer work for XvT yet? If so, we should absolutely form Lit Squadron and the 1Lity1sts Imperial Fighter Group.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Rebellion could be installed by straight up copying from the CD and adding registry keys. XWA needed a third-party installer, registry keys were insufficient.

XWA did need minor hex-editing to accommodate widescreen and HD resolutions. The engine was awesome however and automatically adjusted for the aspect ratio despite never being designed for it. So unlike most old games, it looks perfect on widescreen.

XWA is brilliant both technically and artistically.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

10. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Are you buying it? After your TIE review I want a guinea pig. :p

Cynical_Ben likes this.
  11. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yay, X-wing Alliance! I came across my second CD of it in the last few years, but no idea whatever happened to the first CD, so even if I did have a joystick and time to play it, I always despaired at whatever happened to that lost CD. Now definitely picking up XWA as soon as possible at least.

12. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Off topic but I wish for Indiana Jones and The Infernal Machine. *sigh* Every game is re-released except that one :(

13. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Mind you that one has such a strange game code that it is close to impossible to get running on modern systems, though GOG might really add it sometime down the line, who knows.

Pretty sure I will pick up GOG X-Wing Alliance, just because it is one of my most loved SW games of all time.

Nobody145 and DelRiego like this.
  14. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002

I know, not even the N64 rom works

15. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    It's also very Star Warsey because y'know, you develop an attraction to your sister.

I can't have been be the only one.

16. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    Just wanted to stop by to recommend the incredible X-Wing Alliance Upgrade website. The full package requires CD authentication, so it won't work with the GOG version yet, but you can download the OPTs individually.
    It's like a breath of fresh air, and really improves the atmosphere and sense of scale. As if the game wasn't perfect enough already.

Nobody145 and CooperTFN like this.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I can't play without XWA Upgrade. Makes the game feel new.

Really? Did Lady Blue mean nothing to you? Shameful.

:p

Well, it'll be hard to get XWA wrong since there's only one version of it, and it's perfect. The only concern is the XWA Upgrade -- not just the full package that requires CD authentication -- because the installer edits the .exe that runs the game. But ideally what GOG would have done is just changed the wrapper exe that runs the game, and leave the actual xwingalliance.exe (which contains all the craft data) alone.

In all likelihood XWA upgrade will work though I think, because it doesn't go by memory addresses but actually searches the craft data, iirc.

But no, I'm not buying it right this second. My CDs still work fine so I'm not in a rush. I'll wait for it to go even cheaper.

18. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Aeron was Lady Blue. Rich families are weird.

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis likes this.
  19. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    .........And my joystick is another state. Curses!

20. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Now that it's all Legends, can Antan also be Blackhole/Shadowspawn/Cronal/Atha Prime?

21. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    ... yeah I'm not hesitating on Rebellion. Can't beat the price, and it'll be nice to have an installer. I wonder if they've done anything about the 640x480 resolution -- currently I play it in an annoying tiny window.

Also they need to release Podracer (and fix it). Currently it's one of the few LucasArts games that just don't run on a modern system, even if you use a third-party installer.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

TheRedBlade and Abadacus like this.
  23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I never quite got Rebellion to work last year even with your help, so I'm absolutely taking advantage of that one myself. And XWA I'm buying on sheer principle.

At this point my wish list is down to just SotE. Give me that and I can...um, retire or something.

Cynical_Ben likes this.
  24. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I really really want the PC SotE version to be re-released. I have it for the N64, but the PC version is superior in just about every way from what I've heard. Will probably pick up Rebellion and maybe XWA as well, though I'll need a flightstick as well.

CooperTFN likes this.
  25. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I have no desire to re-buy RS3D but it would be kind of interesting to try playing it with my flight stick. SotE I've been wanting to reacquire for a long time now; I remember being very bummed that SW games weren't available on the Wii Virtual Console (meaning my Wii is now basically a $250 SMB/Sonic/Starfox machine).