main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

X-Wing and Tie Fighter

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by danikat, Nov 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Invid_Clone

Invid_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    WarmasterDan: For the PC, you may be able to find X-Wing Vs. TIE Fighter, X-Wing: Alliance or the original ROGUE SQUADRON on most EB Games shops, reissued by LucasArts in a smaller white box with a "LucasArts Archives" Logo. Good games, though hopelessly dated now. And there's a playability/compatibility issue with Windows XP for these and older LucasArts games. For the Game Cube, there's of course ROGUE LEADER.

2. WarmasterDan

WarmasterDan Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 3, 2002
    I have 98 so it should not be a problem. A while back I saw at a Hastings X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and X-Wing vs. TIE fighter. At my local Wal-Mart I saw Alliance. I just wonderd which one was the best.

3. Invid_Clone

Jul 14, 2002
    TIE Fighter has always been slated as the best LucasArts game ever made (though I can make a strong argument for Jedi Outcast ;) ). If you've seen it, go get it. While it is a 1994 game, it stands up very nicely to Alliance, the last game of the X-Wing series. And there's a particular wicked thrill to fly at Darth Vader's wing or fighting under the command of Grand Admiral Thrawn himself.

4. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > TIE Fighter has always been slated as the best LucasArts game ever made (though I can make a strong argument for Jedi Outcast ). If you've seen it, go get it.

Well, Tie-Fighter can be a real pain to get running on newer PCs.

I'd probably recommend Alliance - good graphics, good SP missions, plus MP support, and it runs like a dream on newer PCs.

5. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    If you can still find it get X-Wing Trilogy. Has all the sims minus XvsT. Got it about two years ago and love it.

6. WarmasterDan

WarmasterDan Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 3, 2002
    Thank you all for your sugestions. I'll probaly get Alliance because it is at my local Wal-Mart. I will also have to get a joy-stick and I will probaly by it after Christmas.

7. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Yeah, definitely get Alliance. It's one of my all-time favorite games, and I've just finished playing through it again. There's nothing quite like flying the Millenium Falcon at the battle of Endor.

But TIE Fighter is also one of my all-time faves, and was the first star Wars game I ever bought. As good as the mission design and storyline are, for me the best thing about it is simply that you're working for the bad guys. It's just so cool. My only gripe is that you spend more time fighing Imp traitors than Rebels (curse you Harkov and Zaarin!)

8. Jomero

Jomero Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 1999
    Alliance will probably be your best introduction to the series. Just realize that it's the most technically advanced of the series, so any other games you play will be downgraded in terms of graphics and controls.

But don't let that sway you from playing the other incarnations! TIE Fighter, as others have said, is one of the best games out there. How can you not love the idea of flying for the BAD GUYS? :D

But Alliance was very fun, and had probably the best single-player storyline of them all. It was very cool to fly missions for the Rebels and then fly some for your family (there are two storylines going on at once, and they both converge eventually). You are part of a family who smuggles stuff for the Rebels and also has their own business. You eventually join the Rebels though and add your piloting skills to their numbers.

Plus, in alliance, you get to fly transport ships that are very similar to the Millenium Falcon. Very fun. =]

-Jomero

9. Tod

Tod Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 1999
    Plus, in alliance, you get to fly transport ships that are very similar to the Millenium Falcon. Very fun.

Yes but they're just too powerful ships, especially Otana. You can wipe out anything with that.

10. Invid_Clone

Jul 14, 2002
    The transports are powerful, yes, but I found them too slow and cumbersome, making them easy vape-bait when swarmed by TIE's. And the Falcon sure didn't feel like the "fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy" during the Endor skirmish. Slow to turn, slow as hell, and her quad cannons sounded all wrong. The only thing they had going for them were the turrets: the auto tracking/fire mode made short work of many swarming fighters in the midst of a furball. :D

11. Jomero

Jomero Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 1999
    I believe there was a patch released that added the original canon sounds to the Falcon. Can't remember if it was an official patch or not.

12. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    It was unofficial, I'm pretty sure.

I liked the Falcon, personally. It wasn't super fast, but it was way more manuverable than the Sabra or Otana. And yeah, the turrets kick ass.

13. WUsta

WUsta Jedi Youngling

Dec 15, 2002
    I'm so happy to have found devoted X-Wing and TIE Fighter fans! Those games bring back happy memories (even if those memories involve 5 1/4" disks!).

The good news, for those that haven't seen, is that at Lucasarts.com you purchase any of the original games in their new CD format for $15, which is really cool because it is very hit-and-miss at those big box stores (Best Buy, Wal-Mart, etc) to find X-Wing et al. in the "discount games" aisle.

I have the updated X-Wing, with a missions from X-Wing vs. TIE as well, and the only thing it lacks is the feature from the original game that lets you name other registered pilots as wingmen. I always enjoyed that little side plot... who of your friends will live?

I have to say that I wish more games like these were available. I just played through Jedi Starfighter on PS2 (I know, I'm behind the times) and while being a beautiful game to watch and pretty fun to play, I miss the realism of the X-Wing series. It all started back with Rogue Squadron... suddenly, every game involved you shooting down thousands of enemies single-handedly while your wingmates flew around in circles. Even Jedi Starfighter, with its wingmate commands, followed the same basic make-up. I must have fried a million droids before the thing was all over. Am I the only one that misses a good solid dogfight? That misses reconfiguring your shields on the fly as you make the next pass? That enjoyed the tension of having your engines knocked out and having to pray that your wingmates would cover you while your R2 unit fixes things up?

Sigh, here's to the good ol' days...

Wu

14. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    I miss the good old days of X-Wing and TIE Fighter as well.

Do the newest upgrade versions of X-Wing and TIE Fighter have problems running on newer PCs too?

15. CrixMakin

CrixMakin Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 24, 2002
    Just my humble opinion..

TIEs? With shields? I will not hear such expensive heresy. The TIE's main asset is its cheap unit price, allowing Imperial strategists to deploy them in massive numbers, overwhelming the rebel insurgency's positions through sheer weight of numbers. Obviously that couldn't be done in the TIE fighter game, due to:-

a) it had to run on 25mhz machines

b) players needed to see some advancement in the ships (it would have been boring for them to just fly a standard TIE all the way through)

c) it just wouldn't do for game players to get wiped out with a couple of rebel fluke shots - the game would become tiresome very quickly

In my experience, there's nothing in any other game to rival the feeling of kicking rebel scum bottom in your very own TIE/TIE Interceptor/TIE Advanced X1 (Vader's ship, as available from Darksaber's XWA Opt website, not the TIE Avenger as featured in the original TIE Fighter game)

16. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    it just wouldn't do for game players to get wiped out with a couple of rebel fluke shots - the game would become tiresome very quickly

That's one thing I liked about Tie Fighter. It makes you get good quick without shields. Plus you don't have to deal with shields eating your power.

17. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Hear hear, WUSta! I yearn for the good old days as well! Why oh why didn't XWA get an expansion pack?! Every other game in the series has one, even XvT. Sigh. It's not fair.

18. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    *Sobs about the loss of the good old days over a few drinks with WUsta*

Why, back in my day, we could actually stop the craft completely, it didn't just keep moving. These kids today, they think they're hot because they can shoot down a few droid fighters, I'd like to see them survive when I put them in a TIE Fighter... [/old man rambling]

19. Invid_Clone

Jul 14, 2002
    *Sighs* And here I miss the online fighting in the Zone. Last time I checked even XvsT was no longer being hosted there (or anywhere)? Anyone know where die-hard XvsT jockeys meet to play?

I wholeheartedly agree about the newer games (the Rogue Squadron and Starfighter series) being nothing more than 3D/3rd person (or...er...spacecraft) shooters. A console game simply doesn't make a good combat flight sim...

*Raises a glass* Here's to the good ol' days of good SW flight games.

20. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    XvT is still played by a small number of online gaming leagues. I suggest here as a good starting point, or here if you're evil and like being bossed around. :p

21. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Ah yes! Put me in the cockpit of an A-Wing, and I can whoop up on the entire Imperial Fleet!

One of my favorite missions in X-Wing was the "sensor run" using an A-Wing. I'd fly full-tilt towards one of the containers with a horde of TIEs in hot pursuit. Then at about .5 or less away, I'd break.

My other favorite maneuver was to barnstorm the frigate at .5 while he kept trying to shoot me.

Doing those two things once got me credited with over two dozen kills in a single mission, without me having fired a single shot!

22. Invid_Clone

Jul 14, 2002
    Well, I always hated those recon missions. I'll be happy if I never have to fly one of those ever again. :p The ol' A-Wing can be one fast mutha, yeah. But kinda puny when facing large capital ships -- some of them which you have to destroy with a very limited ammo capacity -- or when followed by a few dozen bogeys.

23. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    No, silly! You just fly like crazy and let the TIEs be taken out by friendly fire.

Another "weasel" thing you can do is that a new wave of ships won't show up until you kill the previous one entirely. Kill everybody but one in a squadron and you're pretty much home free.

24. Invid_Clone

Jul 14, 2002
    Well, I was talking about the recon mission in Balance of Power, where you had to take out freighters AND a corvette or two with your A-Wing's puny lasers and just-as-punny conc missiles, all the while being shot at by fighters or the capital ship in question. If you failed to destroy on of the ammo carrying vessels you failed the mission. That one mission annoyed me immensely.

25. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    Corvettes are no sweat, regardless of what ship you're in. Just stay directly behind them and blast away. (Unfortunately that doesn't work in XWA, since they have increased firepower, but it works fine in all the other versions.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.