Beyond X-wing: Devil's shadow

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Nightomega, Jun 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Nightomega Jedi Padawan

Hey everyone, this is the begining of a story I'm writing. It takes place following the Hand of Thrawn. Now, I have not read any of NJO so my underatanding of it is limited, and from what I understand, this book would take place in-place of NJO. Well, this is like the first part of the book/story. Feed back is highly appreciated.

General Wedge Antilles stood at the railing over looking the common area below. It was the area where most of the off duty personnel hung around and socialized. The room had three hover couches arranged in a large U with a low table in the bowl of the U. A holographic projector was positioned in the center of the table and currently projected news vids into the empty space above the table. Behind and below where Wedge stood was a large body bag hung by repulsor fields. It was meant more for physical exertion then any form of body building.
    Has the war between the Imperial Moffs and the New Republic had shifted from hot war to cold politics, many commanders in the armed forces had noticed a certain restlessness in their solders. The Imperial Moffs had begun a war of propaganda, against the New Republic, using videos to re-illuminate Republic diplomatic efforts in home systems and foreign systems alike. For those restless solders that wanted something to hit, aside from their superiors that is, many commanders had arranged for the body bag in the lounge.
    As Wedge pondered the needs of the solders under his command, not looked down and noted the fighter pilot who was sitting in the bowl of the U directly beneath Wedge?s feet. Orius Tayren was an ace pilot who stood just shy of two meters tall. His hair was typically a mess of dark brown. His face was that kind that instilled confidence in the solders he commanded.
    Wedge?s attention was momentarily dragged to the side of the room with the sound of a door opening. A young man walked through, with his orange flight suit was partially unzipped. As he pulled his helmet off his head, he swept his short blond hair back with his free hand. Wedge had to grin at this one. Marick Ravens was a young, and handsome fighter pilot. Ever since he was in the academy, public relations for the New Republic Armed forces had been after Marick to do Holo-vid work and be a poster boy. He had that kind of face that simply looked good.
    However, he was also dedicated to being a pilot. At twenty six years old, it was surprising that he had risen to the rank of Lieutenant and was a flight leader in the renowned Rouge squad. Perhaps that was where he earned the Nick-name of Dash, because he?d simply ?dashed? up the ranks after the academy.
    Dash walked over to a rack and dropped his helmet down in an empty spot. He turned and grabbed a can and quickly hopped over the back of the couch to Orius?s left.
    ?Hey Tayren, what?s the word?? He asked quickly as he popped the top on the can and drank from it.
    ?Nothing new right now, Dash.? Was Orius?s reply. To Orius?s right and on the flanking couch, sat a woman with medium length brunette hair. The hair spilled down her back and over her shoulders as she leaned forward and worked on a report. She brought her hand up and re-directed some of her hair. Wedge knew her rather well. Her name was Mirrax Leywen. While she was young, she was an accomplished leader and an excellent fighter pilot. Wedge had admired those facts for some time before he had offered her the position of Rouge 1 and squadron leader.
    That thought hit Wedge where he felt it. He was getting old and he knew it. People had been telling him so, for years. Not in words, but in actions. Many of his old fighter buddies had moved on from fighter pilot duty, to desk jobs or had retired altogether. Corran Horn was a prime example of the latter. He had retired his commission a little over a year ago and had settled down with his wife Mirrax and daughter, Derica. Wedge partly envied him. He had married Iella, but Wedge was still neck deep in his career. It wasn?t a conscious choice, but more of a life style. Iella knew that, but it didn?t make it an
  2. Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager

star 6
    That was one long chapter. Just a pointer though, its Rogue squadron ;)

Good start mind. If you ever want any more pointers you can reach me in the Reachout thread on Resource.
  3. Nightomega Jedi Padawan

it is Rogue? ::looks up library of novels, finds X-wing #1:: yep. it is. Okay thanks. I'll fix that.
  4. Nightomega Jedi Padawan

with regaurd to your comment about that being a long chapter, I guess I should let you know that the way this story's shaping up, it'd be a full fledged book in terms of length. But as it stand right now, that first chapter is like 18 or 20 pages total.
  5. Sara_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 7
    This is an excellent start. I haven't read the X-wing books, but I really like your story. :)
  6. Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager

star 6
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.