main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"X-Wing: Iron Fist," by Aaron Allston [Bantam, 1998]

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Review Forum' started by Gandalf the Grey, Feb 6, 2003.

?

“Iron Fist,” by Aaron Allston [Bantam, 1998]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. 10 (Excellent)

39.7%
  2. 9

39.7%
  3. 8

8.6%
  4. 7

6.9%
  5. 6 (Average)

1.7%
  6. 5 (Average)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

3.4%
  10. 1 (Poor)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
  2. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    [image=http://www.theforce.net/books/images/xw_if.gif]

Summary:
    They are the Rebel Alliance's ultimate strike force--sleek, swift, and deadly. For these X-wing fighters, no job is too dirty or too dangerous. Now they must rise to meet an impossible challenge: stop a powerful warlord by pretending to be his ally.

Against all odds, the controversial Wraith Squadron has survived its first covert mission. But now they are called upon to cheat death twice. This time Wedge Antilles sends them in to stop the warlord Zsinj and his Super Star Destroyer, Iron Fist. If Zsinj joins the Empire, it could turn the tide of war against the Rebels. The Wraith Squadron's mission: infiltrate the warlord's fleet and uncover his carefully guarded plans. To do so, they must pose as ruthless pirates seeking to join Zsinj's forces. And that means first becoming pirates in space lanes teeming with Imperial Navy patrols. If that isn't enough to get them killed, they'll have to pass one last test--a suicide mission for Zsinj.

Can they survive the test and turn the tables on Zsinj?

Or is this the end for Wraith Squadron?

3. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    This novel has probably the saddest death that we have seen in the entire EU. Also, I loved the way how Allston moved his attention from the characters we saw in Wraith Squadron. What this means is that we feel for more of the characters. This is a trend that was done once again in the followup novel, Solo Command.

4. Rogue_Starbuck

Rogue_Starbuck Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2000
    Iron Fist is Aaron Allston's finest work in the X-Wing series, in this reviewers humble opinion. Continuing the story arc setup in the first novel of the Wraith Squadron trilogy, Allston weaves a fantastic and exhilarating tapestry of action, intrigue, humour and tragedy.

I really enjoyed the deepening developments of the characters, each one fully three-dimensional in their own right, armed with personalities that are engaging and interesting: the Wraith's aren't cookie-cutout, perfect pilot poster-children - they have foibles and grit, something a reader can sink one's teeth into, and not immediately retch on. They're characters you can embrace and care about inspite of their faults, for their strengths and positives shine through, particulary under adversity.

This is a well-rounded novel, with the action sprinkled in with the characterization and plot in palatable doses; never once to you feel that you are being overfed on one aspect of the story, to the deteriment of others.

I can't speak highy enough of Iron Fist, which is a fantastic Star Wars novel and should be on everyone's 'must read' list. I graded this a 9.

R.

5. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    I have to give a 9, if only because Ton's death had me so upset I stopped reading in the middle and didn't pick it up again for almost two years.
    :_|

The three Wraith books are my all time favorite. Most of around here are probably aware of my obsession with Face and Ton. This book was so good-the whole, "Pirates to you!", Kettch making his first appearance in the flesh, and the Hawkbats scheme.

Ton's death was extremely sad. I was so disappointed and upset. I really liked his character-he and Face had the best chemistry as the Best Comedy Duo This Side of the Janitor's Closet, as Wedge dubbed them.

Poor Face-we thought he'd crack up.

6. anakin85

anakin85 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 19, 2002
    I thought this was the best of the Wraith books and is definitely one of my favorite novels. Awesome and had some very intense parts. I really liked Castin Donn's infiltration of the SD and subsequent execution and then Dia's reaction. Written very well.

7. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    As with Wraith Squadron, I enjoyed this book a lot. It had many positives in it, like characters. There was just something missing from Iron Fist, but it is still a great read.

8. JADES_FIRE

JADES_FIRE Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2001

Probably the best and the saddest of the X-Wing books. :D :_|

RIP Phanan. :_|

9. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    I think this is the book that the NJO authors should have gone to to crate a truly great death scene. In this book, we see the death of several characters, both literal and figurative. Each is heart-rending in it's own way. I dub tis book the 'tear-jerker' of the X-Wing series.

En pace requisat, Ton. :(

10. dark_jedi666

dark_jedi666 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    A great book! In my opinion it is one of the greatest books in the entire EU. Allston makes you feel for all his characters. Especially Face after Ton Phanan's death. Plus the death scene for Ton was the best in Star Wars. A great mix of action with a good story behind it. This book is the main reason why Aaron Allston is my favorite Star Wars author.

11. SuperVader

SuperVader Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2002
    I really enjoy the humor in the wraith squardon books. It really makes you laugh. When Ton died i was really heart broken but his death was written really well.

12. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002

Allston delivers again. Good mix of humor, plot and emotion.
    Ton Phanan's death was sad.... :(

13. lightsaber_wielder

lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2002
    The thing that has impressed me with the X-wing series is that each book has been better than the last. Thankfully, this one doesn't break the tradition. Cool battles and storyline, better humour, but a sad, sad death. Damn it, now the Wraiths have lost the other half of their sarcasm team! :(

14. DarthJDDavis

DarthJDDavis Jedi Youngling

Sep 15, 2003
    7 of 10

Unlike several other reviewers, I didn't like that it jumped from centering mainly on Kell's character to Face. Don't get me wrong I liked Face quite a bit, but felt like the story should have continued to deal with Kell.

Like most of the other reviewers, I hated seeing Ton die, but it was well written.

15. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I like how Allston's trilogy switched the focus from character to character. The first one was Kell, this one was Face, and Solo Command was Myn. It's a nice change of pace.

16. Adm_Constantine

Adm_Constantine Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2004

Ton Phanan was my favorite EU character ever, and his death made me want to rip the book in half and throw it across the room.

Any book that can bring that kind of emtion out of me is a great book, IMO.

The Wraith Squadron books will always be my favorite EU novels ever: the Wraiths were the best-developed characters I've ever seen in the EU, the villains were simultaneously realistic and brutal (anyone remember what happened to the bridge crewer in Iron Fist that wanted to be a pilot? Heh.) and the plot was totally believable.

Over and above all that, Aaron Allston has the guts to kill off his own characters. When Ton died was thinking "No, you can't kill him! He's got a subplot!" His NJO novels were the only ones I really enjoyed.

Oh yes, and Piggy rocks. :D

17. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    7 out of 10
    I found it good, but Ton's death didn't move me like it did to other people. Didn't think Zsinj is that good of a villian. Still good, but not great.

wolf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.