main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

X-Wing PIlot helmet...?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by RocketGirl, May 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RocketGirl

RocketGirl Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    I need an X-wing pilot helmet for an event in late June, but I'm also very much on the broke side of the Force; all the helmets I've found online or on eBay are well over $70, even up to $120.

Does anyone know of a way to get a cheaper helmet? Maybe one which is less an authentic collector's item and more just a functional prop? Thanks!

2. AramysStrael

AramysStrael Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2004
    There was a guy in the Rebel Legion who was making them. I think they were going for something like $75 + Shipping, but i had also heard that he was on hold, too. So, I am not sure if they are still available.

Hope that helps....

- Bill

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    For something that's not a horrid Rubies, you are looking at $75-$100 unassembled.

4. FilipeJMonteiro

FilipeJMonteiro Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2010
    You might be able to do a nice looking helmet out of a cast mold, car wax, and paint job.

Good luck ;)

5. Raph1613

Raph1613 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2004
    If you don't mind building it yourself from scratch, there's always the cloth-meche' method. Very economical, and if you take your time, it'll look better than the real thing.

FYI: To do a good "round" cloth-meche requires a balloon inflated to the right size, carpenter's wood glue, and muslin. From there it's all about effort and creativity.
    And patience. You MUST let the first layer dry completely before you start messing with it!

6. RocketGirl

RocketGirl Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    I've never heard of cloth mache...but I assume it's a lot like the paper variant?

7. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I also think I've seen a pepakura pattern for the helmet floating around.

8. AramysStrael

AramysStrael Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2004

I thought so, too. A quick google search gave me this:
    http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17982&sid=202b8c0915e8ea2e35f7921c17d74d55

Of course there was also a link to a topic of discussion at The RPF, as well as some other forums. I listed this one because anyone should be able to access it without having to be a forum member to read the content.

Good luck!

- Bill

9. Raph1613

Raph1613 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2004
    It is just like the paper variant, except much more durable. Almost as good as fiberglassing, without the hazards.
    And definitely faster than the pepakura method.

I've seen various objects built through the pepakura method. It's a pretty good way to get a good enough design, but awfully flimsy if not augmented in some way. ALL of the Halo helmets that I've seen made that way wound up having to be fiberglasses in order to not wobble or collapse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.