main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

X-WING PILOT SWEAT SHOP- 100% COMPLETE !!!!! YEAH!!!!!

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by SITH__CHICK, Apr 20, 2010.

1. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    This is for a COMPLETE costume (sans boots, glove & holster) or you can upgrade just parts for your existing one. We have an X-Wing for Jeebus sakes, might as well have an entire squad of pilots roaming around. Now this costume will be a bit pricier and labor intensive then the Tusken, but hey it?s an awesome costume to have and want to make this as reasonable as possible so we can get as many people as possible in one.

How it works: we need at least 6 participants to make it worth the effort and increments of 3 are even better, you don?t have to be present to get a costume but participation is highly needed and recommended. This is for RMFF members, and their families, the more the merrier, but at the same time this is not a social event, serious helpers only, please. There will be two price points; participation price and non-participation price, so if you can?t make it to the sweat shop you can still get the costume.
    Plan to work a full day! If there are more than 12, it could be a 2 day sweat shop, we?ll see. Morning until who knows when. Meals will be provided for everyone who pays in or you can bring your own, there will be no discussion on what to order or what we feel like eating, menu will be set & you will know what it is before you buy in so you know if you want to bring your own. Most likely it will be sandwich for lunch & pizza for dinner, eat breakfast before you come and snacks will be on hand (discussion can be done before build day about what to have on hand), don?t know about drinks yet, but we can see.

I know what you?re thinking, ?I have no mad sewing or prop building skills!!!!? It doesn?t matter, there is so much that goes into making a costume that there is plenty for everyone to do. Measuring, cutting, ironing, pinning or if prop building, holding things measuring, setting frames for vacuum forming, sanding, etc. are huge time consuming projects as well as many other things, you can PM or email if you would like to know more or if I can eliminate some of your fears. It?s not as hard as you think it is, really.

For prices please email or PM me or d_h not sure if we are going to post the prices anywhere public or not and I don?t have them all together just yet, but soon. Each piece will have a price so if you have some parts you don?t have to get an entire costume, you can pick and choose which items you need so this is perfect for people who want to upgrade as well as get a complete X-wing costume.

Edit on last post

2. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    I'm in as a participant. Thanks so much for doing this!!!

3. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    You have my...scissors???

And you can substitute my labor for someone who can't come out to play. I don't really have a need for anything right now, so I'm just cheap labor.

4. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    i would be down for this as well...do you have a guesstimate how much the cost will be?

5. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    We will not post pricing on the boards, we will post when we have our prices ready for pm's

6. Mistress

Mistress Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 28, 2002
    I am definitely in as a participating costumer...so excited!

7. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    gotcha...as you can see i don't fully read the post sometimes. *hangs head in shame*[face_blush]

8. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I'm with you too!

9. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    When will this be??

10. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    I'm definitely interested! Put me on the list -- I'll have to see how my health/schedule are for the actual time, but I would like to help out if I'm able.

11. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    This is so cool, didn't think we would have such a great response. We should have a price list sent out in a couple of days (I have to put it in a spreadsheet first) :D

So what dates are people free? We would LOVE to have been able to get this done before 5/8 but becasue we have to order some supplies (like jumpsuits) it just can't happen. Sooner the better so I can start working on my C5 costumes.

Looks like we could have 9 right now, why 3's are such a good # is becasue it takes 1 extra jumpsuit to do the mods on 3 costumes, could may be squeeze 4 out of an extra but I would hate to run short.

So I will keep a list of who's in and shoot off a PM in a couple of days.

12. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    So here is what you will be getting.
    JUMPSUIT
    VEST
    LEG FLARE HOLDER
    EJECTION STRAPS
    BELT W/ CANNON BUCKLE

HELMET COMPLETE W/ STICKERS TRIM & LENS
    LEG FLARES
    BELT FLARES
    ARM TOOLS
    CHEST BOX COMPLETE

I know I said COMPLETE COSTUME but no gloves or boots are included or holster, but you know who to hit up for that. I will be trying my hand at making costume gloves, but not sure when I will dive into that.

People who are interested so far are:
    Nerf - IN
    Birr - IN
    Horsey
    Grim - IN
    QHM - IN (partial)
    Bill - IN (partial)
    Bfett - IN (partial)
    JG - IN (minus jumpsuit)
    Alison
    CYR - IN
    Lego
    Sarn - IN
    DWRD

Looks like we will have 2 people helping but not making a costumes as well.

This is going to be fun.

13. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
  14. -Gundark-

-Gundark- Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 1, 2010
    I used these but the flare seems a bit small and they don't have the stitching on the back of the hand like they should. Definitley a cheep, easy way to get some guantlets. I've seen several RL pilots with these gloves. $20 bucks a pair, real leather, subtle pebbled texture that matches Sportsman's guide's goosesteppers. I'd be glad to show 'em to any one who wants to check 'em out before ordering.

As cool as these are though, I am going to upgrade them eventually to some that are more screen accurate.

15. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Thanks for posting that link! i've been there before, but forgot where it was specifically. That'll work for me, for the time being. :)

16. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    I'll do this Kim. The Jumpsuit and stuff I'll probably make at home, but the Prop type stuff I'd love assistance with that :)

17. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    Each piece will have a price, so you can pick & choose what you want to get. Most of the work will be modifications to the jumpsuits, cutting, measuring, ironing and pinning as well as the vests.

The prop stuff will mostly be done by d_h, metal machining is something you just can't teach, plus it's dangerous. I think he has his 3 to 4 peeps that want to help with the vacuum forming, but maybe people can switch out so others can try, but if you mess up it can't be fixed so it like throwing $ down the drain. THAT is why most people will be helping with drawing lines that can be wiped off & pinning pockets that can be re-pinned :D

Sorry if that sounds snooty. By all means you can go see how it?s done (as long as your helping with something :D)

18. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    That's not being snooty, that's trying to minimize the number of bad pulls or b-grade kits produced. No worries there. :)

19. Nerfherders

Nerfherders RMFF Treasurer star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    If you have a fleet trooper, han solo, imperial officer, Luke Jedi, etc, you already have the boots. It's the same East German cavalry boots that everyone in Star Wars wears.

I got black gauntlet gloves for my Flash costume last year at the Army surplus at US36 and Pecos.

How will the helmets accept weathering? I don't think I want a pristine white helmet. In fact, I am pretty sure I will be doing Porkins. ;)

20. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    I can help with the weathering. They will definitely take it well. Whatever plastic is has (ABS, HIPS or Styrene) will take weathering just fine. [face_devil]

21. cyodarun

cyodarun Retired RMFF CR star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    In [face_dancing]

I am not very good at that sewing thing, but give me a task I will do me best.

I will also price out leather for those interested in a holster.

Will my black riding "jedi" boots work OK?

22. -Gundark-

-Gundark- Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 1, 2010

I'm interested :)

23. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    I'd be interested in seeing a list of the pricing for the costume. I've thought for a while now of making one but haven't really made up my mind yet. I'm also not sure whether I would modify a pre-made jumpsuit (including a lot of downsizing) or make a suit from scratch - I do have the right material for it, bought a year or two ago when the opportunity presented itself. But better to have the info to make a decision, right?

My pricing would probably have to be the not-there-helping-out version. I've had tempting visions of flying out to participate ('cause I miss Sith Sweat Shops so much!) but I'd have to see when it happens and how airfares and finances are at the time.

24. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    Almost complete with the price list, every time we think we've got it, we remember another buckle or more webbing or trim. It all adds up & shipping costs, one reason we by in bulk, makes everything more affordable.

So the Tuken ran around $100 for the kit and material, so keep that in mind when you see the prices for the X-Wing, k? We are doing this just about at our cost, so keep that in mind too.

Then next thing is we are figuring where to put everyone so we can be as productive as possible. I think the garage people will need the backyard, but if they could use the front yard then some jumpsuit action can be done on the patio out back. We have downstairs we can set up to cut material & iron, maybe an extra sewing machine or 2????? We will see, but if we have 12 or more poeple we will have to figure out where to put you all :D

So expect PM's by tomorrow :D

Still need to know when everyone wants to do this!!!!!!!

25. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    As much as I'd love to be sporting this at the May open cockpit day, it would be nice to have a bit more time to get finances together for this. Even an extra month would be great. If not, I'm sure I'll dig up the money somehow. ;)