main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

X-WING PILOT SWEAT SHOP- 100% COMPLETE !!!!! YEAH!!!!!

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by SITH__CHICK, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    Just sewed the first should strap inside out, ie reversed interfacing and nylon. :oops::_|

2. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    I have a question about the double needle sewing. I was under the impression that the double needle should be used for the pocket topstitching on the pockets; could have sworn someone here told me that. But - how do you turn corners using the double needle? How do they do this? Even if they do each side as a separate run, the outer line of stitching is longer than the inner. I don't get it. Am I not supposed to use the double needle after all? :confused:

3. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    somethings can't be perfect, make a square, the lines intersect. Or you can stitch the pockets once, before you put them on the jumpsuit and then sew them on & there you have double stitching.

4. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Thanks!

5. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Wow. I really am short. :p

My initial estimate on leg pocket size, trying to keep it proportional and match my leg length, is that I'll have to shrink it from 8x10" down to 5.5x7". S__C, I know you said I might want to keep the flap 3", but that would be almost 1/2 the pocket height. I think I'll have to shrink it just a little so it doesn't look out of proportion. Maybe 2.25"?

Edit: Those were a little too small. I adjusted up to 6 3/4 x 7 3/4" with a 2 3/4" flap. It's a little out of proportion to the original set, but I think it looks ok. Hopefully.

This still doesn't make me feel any less short.

6. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    I've got my first leg pocket all cut, pressed, velcroed and pinned. And I can't figure out how to get the bulky suit leg into the sewing machine in the right way to actually sew it. :_|[face_tired]

7. Nerfherders

Nerfherders RMFF Treasurer star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    Is everyone weaing their X-wing costume on Friday? I was thinking we need to have a group photo!

8. Lego-Stormtrooper-1

Lego-Stormtrooper-1 Former RMFF CR star 3

Apr 27, 2009
    Mine won't be finished until post CV

9. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Friday's probably not the best day for me. I'm not gonna want to sit at the FF table all morning with Joe Hogan and some of the TFN Staff in my costume. :p I was thinking Saturday afternoon or Sunday.

10. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    Did you even wear your Ben?

So I have just a couple of people that need to pick some items up and then if people want alterations to their suits, I guess you can bribe me with dinner or something....?????

11. Lego-Stormtrooper-1

Apr 27, 2009
    I'm totally one of those suckas that still has stuff over there (i.e.arm tools, chin strap, bucket holder thing, etc.... BUT I need to commandeer your husband first so I can finish my helmet and pick up my PISTOLA!!! :D

12. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    So, if Lego & JGoC ever pick up their costumes I will be 100% complete and ready to start more???

I'm getting pieces started & assembled now for future wants, sorry it will come at a price [face_skull]

13. Lego-Stormtrooper-1

Apr 27, 2009
    Hey! I'm waiting on Darth Husband....ok not really, my schedule sucks.

...and wait a sec, explain why there is only .03% left. I account for 1/100th of a %, & JGoC has another 1/100th.....who has the remaning %!?!? :-B

14. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    the .03 is due to having peoples costumes still, you would be like .01 or even less because we have less of your items while I have all of JGoC parts.

Your gun has been done since he posted the picture way before CV, I thought you were coming up a couple of Sunday's before CV to finish your helmet & pick these things up. So sorry if you think we are holding up any part of this situation, we are done, come get your crap :p

I'm super happy they are all done, loved taking photos with everyone in their costumes, can't wait to go to open cockpit to have us all sporting the orange.

15. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    And Open Cockpit is 1 week from this Saturday. :D It would be really cool to do an awesome Pilot photo shoot

16. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    The next time I am in Denver, that is on my list of things to do :)

17. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Still have a couple of things on my list to complete:

- right arm pocket
    - take off left arm comm and tool pockets
    - downsize tool pocket, re-attach higher up arm
    - reattach comm pocket
    - add velcro in a couple of places
    - make a full collar if I have enough material from the leg ends cut off
    - detailing on vest straps
    - sew the vest straps to the vest instead of just pinning them
    - get boots

Huh. List isn't as short as I thought. [face_plain] Well, hopefully I can knock it out over Sept sometime.

18. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    I cut out 5 new flak vests the other day, working on the pattern still and seeing how easy it will be to make them in sizes.

So I will be finishing that one soon & then start on the other 4 and see what I can sell them for. Sounds like nobody wants to do these things, I can see why, but when you get in a groove they're really not that bad.

19. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    So, another day of drawing lines for me? ;)

20. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Yeah, I can see how practice could help the work go a lot faster and smoother. Even though I did a partial mockup
    before the real thing, I was still learning new things on the real
    vest. If u made another, I am sure it would go faster.

I think the real question is the time - cost ratio. How much time does it take you, total, and how
    much are people willing to pay? It's got to add up to a decent hourly rate for you.

21. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    I like to make $12 to $15/hr for just my fun stuff and with the materials around $25 to $30 and 5 to 7 hrs of sewing it will cost about $110 ish, so if people are willing to pay that. Guess what? They will have themselves an awesome Flak Vest for an X-Wing Pilot :D

If I can get it to 5 hours (which is doubtful for the entire process, cutting, heming, straps, etc.) then I can make bank but it's closer to 7 hours total per vest, so I'm just under $12/hr pretty good I think.

22. Mistress

Mistress Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 28, 2002
    I am bound and determined to conquer my panic when it comes to helping you. If you want some company/help let me know.

23. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    The last costume has left our house. Yippy!!!!!! We are 100% done with this sweat shop. Not to say I still don't have to help with a few items, but we are done with what we promised.

24. Lego-Stormtrooper-1

Apr 27, 2009
  25. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003