main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"X-Wing: Rogue Squadron," by Michael Stackpole [Bantam, 1996]

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Review Forum' started by Gandalf the Grey, Feb 6, 2003.

?

“Rogue Squadron,” by Michael Stackpole [Bantam, 1996]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. 10 (Excellent)

47.4%
  2. 9

24.1%
  3. 8

14.6%
  4. 7

6.6%
  5. 6 (Average)

2.9%
  6. 5 (Average)

0.7%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0.7%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 (Poor)

2.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
  2. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    [image=http://www.theforce.net/books/images/xw_rs.jpg]

Summary:
    Rebuilding the legendary Rogue Squadron, Wedge Antilles seeks out the most skilled and daring X-wing pilots, but when the group is ordered to assault the Imperial Black Moon, he fears that they may not survive the mission.

3. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Ah the X-Wings, how I love thee :)

A great start to the series. It was good to see Wedge, and all the characters seemed intresting, albeit some slightly undeveloped.

Having said that, it is only an introductionary novel, so you can't expect to get 12 amazing characterisations, can you?

8.5, rounded up to 9

4. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ..just finishing up reading this one, actually (after all the years of "The X-Wing series is awesome!", i've finally decided to start picking them up)

First book is quite entertaining.. Having played the videogames upon which most of the combat is based REALLY helps in envisioning what exactly is going on during the combat sequences, though...

And it's pretty tough, in the early going, to keep track of who is who, outside of Gavin, Corran and the awesome Ooryl...

..and it IS pretty hard not to forget Erisi...... (mmmm.. cleavage... :) )

FINALLY i know who Tycho Celchu is... ("Copy, Gold Leader.")

5. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    X-WING Rogue Squadron has pretty much changed the way that I looked @ Star Wars. It has also opened up the Military Sci-Fi field for me.
    I have met Michael Stackpole and got all of my books signed, which was great. He's a really nice guy. (I had 11 at the time)

6. JADES_FIRE

JADES_FIRE Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2001

9 - A great start to the X-Wing series :D I also liked the Military style of writing.

7. Coota

Coota Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2002
    I loved the X-Wing series, whether written by Stackpole or Allston. The only problem I ever had was with Corran Horn, and even him I could tolerate. The X-Wing comics rock the casbah even more, though, because they've got Janson and Hobbie :)

8. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    I just finished re-reading the book yesterday. I kinda liked Corran's character twist, and how well Mike Stackpole wrote the action scenes. (He must have played a LOT of X-Wing... ;) )

The only thing that I didn't like about it was how quickly they killed off Lujayne Forge. I know that it's a plot point (made evident in the next book), but that means I don't have to like it. :)

9/10

9. Lord_Volz

Lord_Volz Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2002
    Good, but not great. I had a little trouble finishing it. The characters were great, but the plot got a little confusing at times...

10. TheBlueOne

TheBlueOne Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2002
    I had some problems with the ending, too :(

anyway, Rogue Squadron is one of the most amusing books I ever read.

I hadn't thought Star Wars without lightsabers and the Force could work, but it did ;)

11. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002

Just finished and enjoyed it very much! Can't wait to start the next one!

12. Convalescent

Convalescent Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2003
    8 - And that is really close to a 9. I was unsure if I would enjoy the x-wing series. I just picked it up and started reading this first book in feb of 2003....yeah i am behind on these. I think I was just unsure if i would enjoy the SW universe without alot of Luke, Leia, Han, etc....the characters I really know. But, behinds some initial confusion on who people are, this book really opens the door for the new characters in it. I couldn't wait to see what came next.....which is in another review...

13. Tremaniac

Tremaniac Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Man, I had to give this one a ten. The beauty of the X-Wing novels to me was that they showed another aspect to the Rebellion. The Galaxy wasn't saved by just four people, but for God knows how long, that's the way EU authors played it up. It seemed there wasn't a problem in the Galaxy that could be solved by anyone short of Skywalker. This series is required reading for any RPGer who will ever doubt his characters importance in the the grand scheme of the SW Universe (which is helpful considering Stackpole worked on the RPG).

14. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000

It was a good book. It introduced or re-introduced a lot of memorable characters, like Tycho, Wedge (in a "starring" role), Gavin, and many more.

15. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    I give this book a 10, it was excellent and kept me wanting more of those twists ad turns. I think he did an excellent job writting it.

16. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002

This is perhaps one of the best books in the Bantam lineup, and it is certainly action packed. I liked how Stackpole did away with the major characters, and concentrated on the characters that had little or no screen time during the movies. I also liked how the book would be revolving around essentially 12 pilots and their training, bonding and fighting during a war. Granted, Wedge and Corran had the vast majority of screen time, it is nice to read about the exploits of 12 people than read stuff about Luke, Han, Leia and Chewie.

17. jada_marnew

jada_marnew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2003
    Man, I had to give this one a ten. The beauty of the X-Wing novels to me was that they showed another aspect to the Rebellion. The Galaxy wasn't saved by just four people

My sentiments exactly. I just finished reading this book (i'm catching up with reading, long story, could be a series if I put my mind to it).

I was blown away with the fight scenes and I normally speed over those. I loved Tycho and Corran. Am anxious to see who the weak link is (imperial agent).

Will be reading more in the series . . .

18. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    This book proved to me that Star Wars could be about more than just the "big 3" and their adventures. It was so incredible to see an author not only recall that they were uncountable numbers of beings that fought, sufferd and died for the Rebel cause, but to read a story based soley about them.

I give it a 10, despite a slight indifference about Corran Horn.

19. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    One thing that I didn't like about Stackpole's X-Wing books, is there were so many 'junk' characters, that were never really characterised. The Wolfman and the Rodian chick and two examples. That's why I liked Allston's books better, he took the time to show us every memeber of the squadron.

20. handzik

handzik Jedi Master star 5

Aug 20, 2002
    When I first bought it it ended up sitting on my bookshelf for about 3 years. When I finally convinced myself to read it, I couldn't put it down, I found that a SW book not featuring the main 3 charachters could be just as good (or even better). I give it a 10.

21. Corran10584

Corran10584 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 8, 2002
    10 - A great start to a truly fantastic series. Not only does it expand on the character of Wedge, it also gives us one of the Greatest EU characters to date: Corran Horn. M.A.S. is truly a gifted writer, second only to Zahn. I just started re-reading the X-Wing series recently, and it's even better than before.

~Corran

22. jediknight_2033

jediknight_2033 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2002
    9 Just finished this on Friday. It gets a 9 because it's not as good as Wedge's Gamble has been so far (I'm on pg. 207)

23. DarthJDDavis

DarthJDDavis Jedi Youngling

Sep 15, 2003
    8 out of 10

I liked the book a lot and the characters were good, although some were under developed in my opinion.

The one thing that I had problems with was the star fighter fight sequences. I had trouble visualizing what was happening, but other than that I enjoyed the book quite a bit.

24. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    It is the first english book that makes me to read it again, because I haven't understand every single word. ;) :)
    And that means a lot! ;)

25. CaesarSteiner

CaesarSteiner Jedi Youngling

Oct 29, 2003
    It doesn't quite measure up to some of Stackpole's best work in BattleTech- specifically, the Warrior Trilogy and the Blood of Kerensky Trilogy. However, that doesn't mean I won't give it a 10. I liked the fact they put in that Wedge's selection of pilots included political appointees, which is something we see occur in his BTech work every once in a while, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.