"X-Wing: Rogue Squadron," by Michael Stackpole [Bantam, 1996]

Discussion in 'Literature Review Forum' started by Gandalf the Grey, Feb 6, 2003.

?

“Rogue Squadron,” by Michael Stackpole [Bantam, 1996]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
10 (Excellent) 65 vote(s) 47.4%
9 33 vote(s) 24.1%
8 20 vote(s) 14.6%
7 9 vote(s) 6.6%
6 (Average) 4 vote(s) 2.9%
5 (Average) 1 vote(s) 0.7%
4 0 vote(s) 0.0%
3 1 vote(s) 0.7%
2 0 vote(s) 0.0%
1 (Poor) 4 vote(s) 2.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling

star 10
    I like Rogue Squadron, but Stackpole focuses too much on the main characters of Corran, Wedge and Tycho. I didn't feel any sympathy at all for the "redshirt" Rogue Squadroners that die. Allston does a better job at getting us attached to killed-off characters.

Even so, this was very well-written, and it really seems like the computer games it was based on: mission after mission after mission.
  2. cooker Jedi Youngling

star 2
    9/10

All in all, a highly entertaining read. Stackpole, above all else, knows how to plot a Star Wars novel. This book (and the others in the series) have in indefineable quality of adventure and relentless narrative drive that makes them great page-turners. Stackpole makes good use of the Star Wars universe and technology. Isard is a passable villian: she's not a clone (yet) and not some hidden Dark Jedi.

The books has its problems, however. Reading the dialogue sometimes makes me want to write Mr. Stackpole and explain contractions to him. His characters, no matter their background, all seem to say "I am", "It is" and such. His leads are a bit squeaky clean, and Corran Horn's internal monologue can be a bit grating ("This is why I will not sleep with Mirax...").

Minor quibbles, though. I really did enjoy this book and recommend it to the Star Wars fan seeking a nice pleasing read.
  3. fett 4 Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    7/10 It was not that great. The plot was a bit predictable in how it would turn out. Loor joining Isard and going after Horn was obvious while the first failure of Borelais was telegraphed so obviously.

Then there is the dialouge Stackpole is pretty poor when it comes to dialouge and it shows.
    Besides I di not like the charachters to much Corran comes across as an egotistical jerk who really needs an as whooping in this.
    As for the Imp TIE pilots how did they get so bad in ANH and RTJ they are killing Xwings but the Xwings in this have super sheilds and can take out a Star destroyer with a few torpedos.

Like I said it was ok but hardly the stuff of greatness.
  4. JediTrilobite Jedi Master

star 7
    Then there is the dialouge Stackpole is pretty poor when it comes to dialouge and it shows.
    Have you seen Attack of the Clones?
  5. Chiss_Imperial Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I love X-wing. The ships. The pilots. The Battles. All googood and cool a really great series: 10/10
  6. Sniper_Wolf Jedi Master

star 4
    One of the best of the bantam line. Stackpole=EU god.

wolf
  7. Bravo Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    What can I say, the X-Wing series re-kindled by desire for the SW Galaxy after the NJO really started to go down hill. Excellent book, I should say. The whole series (I still have to read the last two books) is excellent, or at least the books I have read of the series are excellent.

"One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do." - Henry Ford
  8. Thrawn1786 Jedi Master

star 5
    9. It was fun to see a book without Luke and the gang, and one on how Corran got into RS, which I'd stupidly wondered since I read I, Jedi and Side Trip first. You get attached to the various Rogues ala "A Chorus Line". Also nice to finally find out who Iceheart was as she doesn't appear in the books after this series.
  9. Mediator Jedi Youngling

star 2
    It was an immediate classic. I loved it because it was way less stale than the other X-Wings
  10. eequo Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I liked the military style as well, a perfect book. I also liked the Borleias part, and Emtrey was an excellent character. The land operations were great as well.

Instant classic, my favorite novel, explosive opening to a most excellent series:
    10/10
  11. AdmiralPatrick Jedi Youngling

i really like general salm.

y-wings rock!

Tycho is cool to.

overall, iu give it a 8.
  12. LukeSkiwalker Jedi Youngling

star 2
  13. WWE_jedi Jedi Youngling

star 1
    x-wing was a great book. the team was good. corran, ooryl,tycho,gavin,and wedge are an unstopable force. the only mistake was with peshk the bothan. he says nothing through the whole book and gets killed by an ion cannon on boreilas 1st raid.
    10/10
  14. Yzerman_the_Jedi Jedi Youngling

I agree with WWE_Jedi
    the book was great but Peshk thing was odd
  15. Sniper_Wolf Jedi Master

star 4
    Reread it, and my new rating went down to a four. Reasons for such a harsh rating now is as follow.

1. Corran Horn. I strongly dislike this character now. He's a balatant rip-off of Nolan from . Very poor writing on Stackpole's part.

2. Characters overall. I disliked nearly all the characters. They came off as flat, and Stackpole failed to make me care for them. The only ones I didn't mind were Loor and Gavin. Saint of Killers is right about the junk characters. Leads to that failure.

3. It didn't feel like Star Wars. When I watched the Star Wars movies for the first time, I loved the jedi, the boundy hunters, smugglers, etc. The pilots didn't reallly interest me. Stacpole killed any interest. This book was hard sci-fi, not romantic fantasy. Complete failure, this novel is.

I do give the four for Bantam at least trying something new. They failed, but the non-main characters idea was finally done well in novel form when MedStar was written.

So overall, do not read this book.
  16. EwokStromboli Jedi Youngling

star 3
    8.5/10. A good introduction to the series, although the subsequent books are more entertaining.

I know an author can't please everybody, but some of the criticisms some people have of Corran Horn just don't resonate with me. I like that he's rather egotistical and hard-headed at times, I like that he's rather judgmental in his inner-dialogue, and I have always gotten a kick out of his relationship with Mirax; that's one of the few EU relationships that I buy.

This particular book's rating is dropped a peg or two for the simple reason that I was not at all interested in the dialogue between the two villains (Loor and Iceheart), and that's a rather significant problem.
  17. AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight

star 5
    Stackpole is wonderful writer in most respects...barring the way he handles the more intricate and larger scale combat situations. When full-scale starfighter mêlées erupt, I find it difficult to keep track.

Though on the whole I prefer Allston's work, is an exciting, gripping and thrilling foray into the life of Rebel fighter pilots, and into the deep, dark bowels of Imperial Intelligence under the supervision of Ysanne Isard.

I give it 8.
  18. Reverend_Duck Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I liked how Wedge was a main character in the book, since he had only appeared a few times in the movies, and I also enjoyed the cast of new characters, especially Corran Horn. Although I liked the overall storyline, I think the space battles were too confusing since I don't know half of the terms Stackpole used to describe them.

Rating: 6
  19. Exxaciel Jedi Youngling

star 3
    This is one of my favs. I don't like how Stackpole killed off Lujayne, but it woke Corran up pretty good, and he's always been a favorite of mine. Good character development.
  20. Xzilen20 Jedi Youngling

"FINALLY i know who Tycho Celchu is... ("Copy, Gold Leader.")"

I don't believe that is Tycho... if I'm correct, Tycho was in the OTHER A-Wing that lead some TIES out of the Death Star, and is seen during the briefing with a green suit on, sort of in the shadows, and holding his helmet... I may be wrong though...

On the book. Astounding! A book where they didn't need the movie characters to advance the plot. It was a real page turner, I liked just about every twist and turn in these books, and the space combat was just awesome.

*Edit*

I also loved the simulation at the start of the book. I remember that mission, it was TOUGH, TOUGH, TOUGH.... until I got really good later, but man oh man was that a hard one.

The biggest flaw of the book was it's lack of interesting villians. Isard was all right, but Loor and the others bored me to tears at times. I love Corran Horn though, flawed, and that's the way I like my hero's.
  21. Jayd Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I like this book, great action and great characters. I didn't like how introspective the characters were sometimes, however, and how they always seemed to know (and be able to describe) their exact feelings. It got way too analytical. I liked Isard as a villain, though, she was characterised well and her existence made sense in the grand scheme of things (unlike, for example, Daala...).
  22. sisyphusrocks Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Great start to the longest running series in SW (including NJO Stackpole and Allston series) Classic characters, good humor.

Made Wedge an all time classic character.

23. EBSaints Jedi Master

star 6
    I enjoyed Rogue Squadron more than I thought I would. Like many, I was skeptical about reading a SW novel without Luke, Leia or Han. I did find the number of characters confusing sometimes. I found myself constantly looking back to the beginning to review who was who. Some of the battles were difficult to vision, and you don't really realize what's happening until its over.

All in all though, I enjoyed it and give it 8/10. It is a good read, but not one of those books that you can't put down.

I'm a late-bloomer in the EU, so I'll be reading the rest of the X-wing series for the first time.
  24. celestia Jedi Master

star 5
    I have to say I loved this book. I read it forever ago...in fact my little brother got it for his birthday and never read it. One day I picked it up and from there I couldn't stop until I had read all the SW novels I could find.

I loved the whole series though.
  25. HorranCorn Jedi Youngling

Corran Horn may be somewhat of a jerk, but he seems like a real person. What's not to like about that? I thought this book was pretty neat, considering it had to introduce so many different characters in about 350 pages. That's a tall order, and as we all know in the other books, he continues to dig into these personalities and lets us know them well enough to like or hate them. I don't see why people would feel "indifferent" toward any of the characters. Kirtan Loor seemed like a joke, but I still knew how I felt toward him - I thought he was a loser. To say you're indifferent means that the author didn't do a very good job of portraying the character as lifelike, and I don't think that's the case at all.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.