main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub X-wing Series Fan Club: Home of the Dancing Gamorrean

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Jedi-Knight-Corran, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Just been re-reading "Betrayal" in the LotF series - the Jedi teams escaping from their failed 'snatch-missions' in Coronet City apparently swipe a shuttle from a business called "Donoslayne Excursions"! So it looks like Myn and Gara/Lara/Kirney did patch up their differences and get together - at least as far as being buisness partners!

2. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    I just cant get into the LOTF, loved the NJO.....but I guess alot of it ends there for me :(

3. adaml83

adaml83 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 8, 2004
    Read Mercy Kill, they do more than that.

4. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I guarantee that Mercy Kill will likely never be quite as good as the original nine were to me, simply because of what was done to the post-NJO universe, but that doesn't mean I don't look forward to more X-wing novels, especially if they bring back Stackpole.

Adalia-Durron likes this.
  5. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    Well, I disagree, since I favor Allston's prose and structuring much higher than Stackpole's, but I can see the point. Though honestly, Mercy Kill doesn't really have that much that bothers me about the post-NJO.

6. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    My loyalty to the X-wing series and the fact it is clearly a continuation of the story of Wraith Squadron, instead of strong tie-in to the post-NJO, are the only reasons I am even going to give it a chance.

7. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Go for it, Zeta! It's well worth it!

8. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I definitely like what I saw in the excerpt, but I am waiting patiently for the paperback, I am not even getting Darth Plagueis or Scoundrels in hardcover.

9. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Libraries? I feel you on the paperback issue - I complained on the facebook page three times about the hardcover move (which might have been negated by the fact that because I want the X-Wing books to, you know, have more coming, I bought three hardcovers) - but it's not the only way to get it.

If they give Allston or Stackpole more X-Wing books, but keep them in hardcover, I might have to email or mail them directly. Because they are already trying to soak the fanbase dry. The ratio used to be something like 70-80% paperback, 20-30% hardcover - and that's almost completely reversed, with a dwindling number of fans buying.

I say, give them a truly engaging, excellent restarted X-Wing series with a low entry fee, and you'll be back in business!

But they never listen to me.

But Mercy Kill is well worth it (I do not regret the three I bought at all).

10. Katana_Sundancer

Katana_Sundancer Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2009
    I can understand holding off on buying because of the hardcovers, they hurt the pocket/wallet/purse/tin-of-loose-change-hidden-in-the-top-of-the-cupboard.

11. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    The library is an option, but I am not in a big hurry to get Mercy Kill, because I still haven't got all of the older books I love yet. I also really need a new, larger bookcase, because the old one is in bad shape, and so small that it can only hold The Harvard Classics on the shelves and many random books on top. While the set up for the rest of my books, several books lined up on the back of my desk and two large stacks on the front, is scaring my dad.

Katana_Sundancer likes this.
  12. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Stupid forums didn't register my first post until I submitted this one.

13. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Full bookcase of paperbacks plus a pile from carpet to windowsill of Hardback SW!

14. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    I've only got 2 hardbacks, but something ridiculous like 70 paperbacks. They fit surprisingly well in one bookshelf, as long as I put them 2 deep :p

15. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    Edit: Man, the board is really glitching today.

16. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Wouldnt even load for me earlier.

I have a cabinet where my books are THREE deep now, and I have 15 hard covers....and many of the same books in Paperback too. I've simply run out of room now....

17. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    It also wouldn't load for me earlier.

The books on my desk are either Star Wars, Middle-earth, Harry Potter, and a few other things, virtually all of them paperbacks.

18. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Nothing would load for me about 4 hours ago either!

Nice selection - SW, Harry Potter and Tolkien are all past/present favourites of mine too!

19. Katana_Sundancer

Katana_Sundancer Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2009
    Star Wars, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings for me too; seems to be a classic combination. Plus a bit (translate: LOTS) of Raymond E Feist, Julia Gray... I could go on.

My Star Wars books were either standing two deep, or stacked in piles about 12 high, maybe 5 piles to a shelf? Then the shelf cracked and I had to box some of them up. *lesigh* Silly bookcase couldn't take the weight of a few books!

20. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    I've had to box up a lot too (mainly detective stories like Cadfael, Falco etc.) and stow them in the loft (roofspace) - dreading the day when I have to bring them all down, or (even worse) if they decide to come down of their own accord!

21. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm in serious need of another bookshelf. My shelves look nothing like the rest of you though. I have some Larry McMurtry, lots of sports books and running books. I like the hardback books because they don't fall apart so easily. Also if you pre-ordered Mercy Kill it was less than $25 with shipping. I don't have much extra cash either, but that was not a lot to save up for. You pay that much for two people to go to a movie, or dinner.

22. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    And if you had prime, it was about 15-17 dollars, no shipping, day of release delivery! :)

I feel you guys on the bookshelves - I have three shelves and a closet shelf, and all are full to bursting - one reason I am loving my android Kindle app. There's something nice about the physical book, though - especially being able to lend them out.

23. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Another advantage of a physical book is that you can accidentally sit (or tread) on it without cracking the screen! ;)

24. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I never leave either physical or iPads anywhere where that can happen! My books are important so I dont leave them about, usually on a table or in a book shelf. iPad is the same...the times I have it in my handbag, I never put my bag down, its worth too much! :p

25. Rebecca_Daniels

Sep 3, 2006
    I spend so much time working on the computer that I love holding a book. I know e-readers use that non-backlit screen, at least the good ones do, but there's nothing like cracking open a paperback and dropping it on your face when you're reading in an awkward position. :p