Fanclub X-wing Series Fan Club: Home of the Dancing Gamorrean

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Jedi-Knight-Corran, Jul 12, 2004.

Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth
  1. BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF

star 10
    8 kilometers? Yes it is huge. Don't know where it ranges on ship size in the GFFA.
  2. Adalia-Durron Former RSA/EUC Empress.

star 10
    Damn, I'd never seen one end of it....4 K walking is my limit!! LOL!!
    Runjedirun likes this.
  3. Runjedirun Chosen One

star 6
    They must have moving sidewalks, Addie.
  4. Tim Battershell Force Ghost

star 5
    Or Swoops/Speeders - they ran those on Outbound Flight ISTR.
  5. BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF

star 10
    lol Runner! That would be nice. Or sideways elevators. :p

Edit: ISTRs?
    Last edited by BultarSwan, Nov 22, 2012
  6. Runjedirun Chosen One

star 6
    I own Outbound Flight and I still have not read it. Not sure I could get into it.
  7. Tim Battershell Force Ghost

star 5
    Have you covered Survivor's Quest yet, Runner? If not, hold OF in reserve until you have - it will spoil SQ otherwise.
  8. Runjedirun Chosen One

star 6
    Yes I read Survivor's Quest. I was trying to read Dark Lord, but I'm1/2 way through and disinterested. Thinking I'll put it down and try Crosscurrent. The Clone War Era is not really my thing.
    Last edited by Runjedirun, Nov 22, 2012
  9. Tim Battershell Force Ghost

star 5
    Think you'll quite like that one! Just seen Jedi Path is in stock at my online store - ordered a copy, should be with me in a few days (but not waiting with the same level of anticipation/frustration as Mercy Kill, though!).
  10. Skywalker_T-65 Force Ghost

star 6
    The Executor had a bit of a size problem...8k was the original published size (hence, the one used in the X-Wing novels) while the ACTUAL size (from the movie) was 19 kilometers. The Empire didn't build small :p
  11. BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF

star 10
  12. Runjedirun Chosen One

star 6
    That's a 90 minute run, longer even for me on most days.
  13. adaml83 Force Ghost

star 4
    Well they took one away...
    Essentially I was saying that 7-8km was the generally accepted length for a SSD back then.
  14. Adalia-Durron Former RSA/EUC Empress.

star 10
    But can you help Swan get into the X Wing fan club?
  15. Mirax Terrik Chosen One

star 5
    I just got Mercy Kill and got the go ahead from other EU members that I wouldn't be spoiled too much considering I haven't read NJO all the way through (haven't read a single SW book published past year 2000). Will be posting my impressions if anyone wants to compare notes.

Could someone tell me what the X Wing fan club is? I'm slowly reading the thread from the beginning, but it's going to take a while.
    Tim Battershell and Runjedirun like this.
  16. Adalia-Durron Former RSA/EUC Empress.

star 10
    Fans of the X Wing Series of Books, nothing more ;) We discuss the books, the characters and some of us enjoy lusting after some of them ;)
  17. Katana_Sundancer Force Ghost

star 4
    Yes, some of us. :p
  18. Adalia-Durron Former RSA/EUC Empress.

star 10
  19. Runjedirun Chosen One

star 6
    I can't wait to hear your take on Mercy Kill @MiraxTerrik. Hope you like it!
    Adalia-Durron likes this.
  20. Tim Battershell Force Ghost

star 5
  21. BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF

star 10
    Hey Mirax, it's good to see another pilot fan. Hope to see you around.
  22. Katana_Sundancer Force Ghost

star 4
  23. Mirax Terrik Chosen One

star 5
    Thanks for the warm welcome! I would love to join the X-wing Fan Club if you're still accepting new members. :D I love X-wing pilots. Don't know why, but none of the other fightercraft (or their pilots) ever did much for me. Oh well, I guess I'm a lost cause in that regard.

I wish they would come out with another flying-based game. I really enjoyed TIE fighter and broke many joysticks getting through some of those missions. I remember loving the X-wing game but never played any of the Rogue Squadron games (money was tight). Were those any good? I still have my PS2 and can probably get help setting up DOSbox if I need to in order to play them.

I love and hate seeing Wedge in the list of dramatis personae for Mercy Kill. It's great because I know he'll be awesome, but I always have this niggling fear in the back of my mind that they're going to kill him. I'm not sure if I should be more disturbed knowing that I'll have a mental breakdown for when that time comes, or the fact that a fictional character has that strong of an emotional hold on me.

I'm a little confused. When I had read the X-wing books and comics the first time, I had the impression that Wedge had his revenge on the Bonestar Pirates when he was 15 or 16. I don't have my books with me at the moment so I can't check, but I'm looking at the wiki and it says he was 18 at the time, but there is no way he looks 18 in The Phantom Affair. Also, I think that's the only time I've ever found a mullet adorable in any way.

I'm going to spoiler the following impressions I have on Mercy Kill just in case. I really ought to read the forum rules again, I thought I could still remember them but no, not really. Lots of things to catch up on. It's a wonderfully exciting time for Star Wars right now. I'm currently pestering my friends to start reading SW books again and rejoin TFN. Initial efforts are encouraging but I need to control myself so that I don't completely nerd bomb them.

Anyways, on to Mercy Kill:

I hope there are many pranks in this book. The pranks were always my favorite parts of the X-wing series, you know, besides the parts with Wedge. I'm pretty confident in Allston's ability to write humor and expect to see much of it in this book. I feel like he's always had a good sense of pacing and knows exactly when to pop something to lighten the mood so it doesn't become overbearing.

Show Spoiler
    I'm on Chapter 8 right now. It's rather jumpy and I'm having a little bit of hard time following what's going on. I adore Myri (of course), and Piggy but the action is very unclear to me. I liked the initial intro with Admiral Teradoc (I'm surprised the Empire is still around. I had assumed for some reason that the remnants of the Empire would have gotten destroyed. I guess it makes more sense for them to keep out of the entire war if at all possible and let the New Republic take the brunt of the casualties.), though I thought Face in that bar scene with Teradoc seemed more immature than he acted in the original three Wraith Squadron books (How is this even possible???).

Having not finished NJO, I find the concept of a Yuuzhang Vong ally pretty interesting and always thought their tech was pretty cool, but creepy. I don't recognize the name of Wraith One, but I'm assuming she was in other books. I'm giddily anticipating Face's reappearance in the book because I fully expect it to be ridiculous and spectacular. Right now the only time he's mentioned is in the context of how no one in the group knows more than they need to because of his security measures. I love that Kell and Tyria hooked up (I assume) and named their daughter Jesmin. That was a nice touch.

So uh, I didn't realize that Fey'lya had died. I think I'm pretty happy about that since I loathed his appearances in other books. I feel like I need to rush through Mercy Kill so I can get cracking on NJO and beyond, but I'm resisting that temptation. I'm worried that the fact there is a city named after Ackbar means that he's dead. I really don't want Ackbar to be dead.

Piggy doesn't read like the Piggy in the previous Wraith books. He seems to read more like a human in this book than a biologically enhanced Gamorrean, if that makes sense to anyone else. Frustration, boredom, and anger seem to get to him a lot easier. I remember that previously he was extremely capable of controlling his emotions, like the time when he smashed the brains out of that one Twi'lek assassin in Iron Fist. I guess the war really did a number on him. I'm not looking forward to getting to that part of NJO.
  24. Runjedirun Chosen One

star 6
    I don't want to comment much, because I might give away something further on in the book. I've read it twice and even though I had finished the NJO the fact that I haven't read it in 10 years is still hurting me. I did recently re-read everything Bantom and for the first time the material after the NJO up to Mercy Kill. You are right about Jesmin, she's awesome! Also you will understand about Piggy as the book goes on. The humor continues but so do the casualties and the action, so hold on tight.
    Adalia-Durron likes this.
  25. Mirax Terrik Chosen One

star 5
    There are a few things I'm unclear on and don't want to look up on Wookiepedia because I'm trying to limit the amount of spoilers I'm getting exposed to.

What is the Galactic Federation of Alliances? Also, in which series do the second Galactic Civil War happen?
Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth