Fanclub X-wing Series Fan Club: Home of the Dancing Gamorrean

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Jedi-Knight-Corran, Jul 12, 2004.

Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth
  1. Revanfan1 Chosen One

star 5
    I draw good!

But I can't draw vehicles. :p
  2. Skywalker_T-65 Force Ghost

star 6
    I can model them. When my laptop is fixed anyway.
  3. Otherwise Jedi Youngling

So...am I going to alienate myself completely by saying that I only barely tolerate Allston's writing as a rule? Possibly the most irritating statement I've ever read was the Del Rey interviewer at the end of a LOTF installment commenting that Allston deserved credit for expanding on the character of Wedge Antilles. Sure, if "expanded on" means "make a completely mockery of a previous, more respected author's (plural, if you count Zahn's briefer contribution) character."
  4. Adalia-Durron Former RSA/EUC Empress.

star 10
    Interesting opinion there.
  5. Corellian_Outrider Admin FF | Art Curator | Oceania RSA | CR of NSW

Administrator
    star 5
    Each author brings something different to the table.

Michael A. Stakepole deserves some credit considering he started the X-Wing novel series. He had teamed up with Timothy Zahn on some of the graphic novels too.
    Adalia-Durron and CalaelAzasar like this.
  6. SnubJockey Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    IMO, Stackpole provides the skeleton of Wedge and the Rogues. It's vital in keeping them together, strong, but a bit beige... Allston adds the brain, lungs, and most importantly the heart. (Starfighters of Adumar and humanizing Wedge and co.) While he may not have space battles as epic as Stackpole, Allston's characters feel more like real, distinct people/Sentients and given a choice, I go for personable characters every time.

TL:DR: Stackpole did first book Wedge. Allston did BEST book Wedge.
    CalaelAzasar and Runjedirun like this.
  7. Otherwise Jedi Youngling

In my opinion the change in characters - and the atmosphere overall, actually - from Stackpole to Allston is more similar to what happened to Lord of the Rings' Gimli the dwarf between the movies Fellowship and Two Towers. In Fellowship he's a spirited, burly fellow passionate about his peoples' interests. From Two Towers on he's most memorable for...comic relief.

I probably wouldn't mind quite as much if Stackpole hadn't already done such an amazing job with his books. All the same, though, if the Star Wars OT had played out like Allston's X-Wing contributions, we'd have Shaggy Antilles, Scooby Janson, and the rest of the gang scampering around battlefields while Old Man Palpatine screeched "I'd have restored peace, order, and prosperity to the galaxy...if it weren't for those gosh-dern meddlin' kids!"
    Last edited by Otherwise, Sep 12, 2013
  8. zark Force Ghost

star 4
    I'll point out one of the main differences between Fellowship and Two Towers with Gimli, is in Two Towers he is finally comfortable with the people or specifically elf that he's working with, and no longer has something to prove. I feel like he lost gruffness, but none of the other characteristics you describe.

As for the your other objection... [face_laugh] Yeah. Maybe over-simplified but you do have a point! Even so, I enjoy the lightness of it. You don't get that much lightness in some other books. It was a good change for me, but not necessarily (obviously) for everyone else.
    Katana_Sundancer likes this.
  9. Runjedirun Chosen One

star 6
    I [face_love] Scooby Doo. No wonder I like Allston so much.
  10. BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF

star 10
    Welcome to the boards @Otherwise . I like your name. :)
  11. CrazyOldHermit Force Ghost

star 4
    A little light-hearted book every now and then is a breath of fresh air for me. In a series like the NJO which was so loooooong and dark and it seemed like they were never going to win and we had to wait until the very end for something good to happen.

Yeah, like I said, a little lighthearted is just what we needed after that. Allston is perfect for that sort of thing.
  12. SWBob Force Ghost

star 4
    Ive been rereading the series since ive been stuck in bed with my back messed up and ive been loving it. Im on bacta war now.
  13. CrazyOldHermit Force Ghost

star 4
    Perfect thing to do while your back is healing. Not much else you can do.
  14. adaml83 Force Ghost

star 4
    Here's the thing Stackpole play a bunch of X-wing (PC game) and IIRC was pretty good at it so that's why you get the amazing descriptions of the dogfights, which happen to be my favorite parts of his books. Allston admitted that he was bad at the X-wing game, but IMO what he is good at is character development/spy thriller novel. I personally wouldn't want Allston to try to do a Stackpole dogfight because he probably wouldn't do it well.
  15. SWBob Force Ghost

star 4
    That's crazy cause I was thinking the same thing. I bet stackpole would be good at X-Wing. Speaking of they need to make a new one of those. Modernized with all the new EU ships such as corralskippers and ewings and stuff.
  16. SWBob Force Ghost

star 4
    oops. double post
    Last edited by SWBob, Sep 16, 2013
  17. adaml83 Force Ghost

star 4
    It'd be really nice if Stackpole came back.
  18. SWBob Force Ghost

star 4
    I agree. Has he said he's not, or is it just nobody expects him to. Maybee he could write a new X-Wing series following Rogue Squadron with Gavin being rogue leader.
  19. Revanfan1 Chosen One

star 5
    Gavin's a colonel in the Marines now, actually. How does it make sense for him to go from Starfighter Command to Navy to Marines? I don't know but Denning bloody well did it so who knows who's Rogue Leader now? :p
  20. Mirax Terrik Chosen One

star 5
    Well, Stackpole is the one compiling all of the old Rogue Squadron comics into the Omnibuses. I'd be very surprised if he didn't have his hands in other SW books in the future.

Does anyone know if the Redemption mission described in Rogue Squadron came first in the X-wing game or was later added in because of the book? That one's been bothering me for a while.
  21. SWBob Force Ghost

star 4
    God i love the wook. It said that it originated as a mission in the game which he then put in the book.
  22. adaml83 Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah that mission was evil.
  23. SWBob Force Ghost

star 4
    I started playing video games a little late to play xwing or tie fighter. But i did manage to play xwing vs tiefighter and all the later ones. Balance of power and xwing alliance.
  24. SnubJockey Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Well keep in mind that in our world the US Marines have their own little air force/are supported by naval aviation. It's not out of the realm of possibility for the SW universe to have a similar setup.
  25. Revanfan1 Chosen One

star 5
    True. Still, I don't know how you go from being a commander in Rogue Squadron, to an Admiral, to a Colonel.
Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth