main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub X-wing Series Fan Club: Home of the Dancing Gamorrean

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Jedi-Knight-Corran, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Ohhh… that would have been great if there was one set in that era.

Does it require knowing the Legacy series to understand it?

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The NR flashback doesn't.
    The NJO era flashback sets the scene for what Piggy is like in the novel.
    Some Wookieepedia reading might not hurt but politics suck. That's all you need to know from what I remember anyway.

Amon_Amarth likes this.
  3. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Argh, still haven't started on Mercy Kill, it's sitting on my to-read shelf and it keeps beaconing me. :p
    I blame it on damn fool's idealistic crusade to re-read NJO. And then other books keep coming up, like Bloodline and tons of non-SW... 1st world problems.

4. BultarSwan

BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF star 10

Jul 5, 2003
    All you have to do is read three or four books at once. Problem solved! :p

5. Fallen-Hero

Fallen-Hero Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 5, 2009
    Or confuse you. Although if they're the same genre, they could make for an interesting cross-over lol.

This message has been provided by Trixter using the Holo-net.

BultarSwan likes this.
  6. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
    Crossover heh. I once did a crossover between Charmed, X-Men, and Doctor Who. :p What about X-Wing pilots meet Fred and George Weasley? :p

7. Fallen-Hero

Sep 5, 2009
    *in Hobbie's voice*

We're doomed.

Just imagine the terror they could unleash with the help of certain Wraiths/Rogues [face_laugh]

BultarSwan likes this.
  8. Katana_Sundancer

Katana_Sundancer Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2009
    How about the Marauders? They even have a squad name already! And Remus being a werewolf would probably just inspire a 'meh-we've-seen-stranger-shrugs-it-off' response. Although, I do wonder how that would work, away from Earth's moon...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Force Smuggler and BultarSwan like this.
  9. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    Honestly, Fred and George would be perfect Rogues or Wraiths! :D

10. Fallen-Hero

Sep 5, 2009
    Not to mention they would also have unique call-signs. As for Remus, interesting question. Other moons could have the same effect, and if so, poor fellow if he ever landed on Tatooine. That place has 3 of them XD

11. Katana_Sundancer

Aug 13, 2009
    I wonder what would happen if all three were full at the same time...

BultarSwan likes this.
  12. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
  13. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    And now I'm imagining a SW version of Remus as a Shistavanen. Or is that getting too nerdy? :p

If gravity is any cause for the Moon's influence on warewolf-ing, I guess Lupin should also avoid places like the Maw...

14. Katana_Sundancer

Aug 13, 2009
    Not a Shistavanen, but yeah, I'm imagining something similar. But all four of them are shapeshifters, remember? Could be very interesting. Oh geez. *produces flaming torch to ward off rabid plot bunnies* Back! Back I say!

What's this 'too nerdy' you speak of?

15. Fallen-Hero

Sep 5, 2009
    [face_laugh]

It's a SW forum, there's no getting too nerdy/geeky on here.

What race was Zam Wesell again? I can definitely see at least Tonks being one of them considering she's a metamorphmagus.

16. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    Zam was a Clawdite I think. I wonder if they can morph their hairstyles as well as faces! Cause that is exactly what Tonks would do. And speaking of hair changes, she'd also probably be BFFs with Sabine from Rebels. :p

Sirius would totally have a pet Ewok!

BultarSwan and Force Smuggler like this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I like to believe that Sirius and James got Remus a pet rabbit while at Hogwarts.

BultarSwan likes this.
  18. Katana_Sundancer

Aug 13, 2009
    They totally would have. #headcanon

Fallen-Hero and Force Smuggler like this.
  19. SnubJockey

SnubJockey Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2009
    So my fiancee just got started on the Young Han Solo books, and I'm debating reccing the X-Wing Series next, but 10 books may be a bit much. To your opinions, Are there any really skippable books, or places where the books are sumarized? Much as I like him, I think Stackpole's prose isn't the most exciting but he sets up some important stuff and there are some great scenes buried in there.

20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Skip the X-Wing books? Never!
    Stackpole wrote books 1-4 and book 8.
    Allston wrote books 5-7, 9 and 10.

21. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    You can break it down…

The first 4 X-Wings books are about Rogue Squadron and set around 1.5 years after Endor. -Rogue Squadron, Wedge's Gamble, Krytos Trap, Bacta War

The next 3 are about Wraith Squadron and set straight afterwards - Wraith Squadron, Iron Fist, Solo's Command

The 8th is back to the Rogues but set 5 years after Endor - Isard's Revenge

The 9th book is the Wraiths and I think it is 7 years after Endor - Starfighters of Adumar

The 10th book is the Wraiths again and set way into the Legacy series - Mercy Kill

I use Endor as point of reference as that's what they used to do with the Bantam books. Probably should add about 4-5 years to it to have it ABY

22. Fallen-Hero

Sep 5, 2009
    SnubJockey, that's a tough call. Personally, I'd read a summary of a book's plot in only two cases: one, there's no way for me to have actual access to the original work right now and I need that information or two, it's to refresh my memory of what I've already read. I don't know what you're fiancee's opinon on that is, but if reading a summary is something she's more inclined to, Wookiepedia's "Legends" page for Rogue Squadron could be a good start. It might also fuel the interest in reading the stories in more depth. However, even if I do prefer Allston's writing over Stackpole's, I don't see how one could skip right to the Wraiths without reading about the Rogues. There's just way too much tie-ins from one squadron to another, references to previous events/characters... I feel she might get a tad confused. I would know, while it's not the X-Wing series (and probably not the same extent of content), I did start the NJO series with Edge of Conquest and only had that, SBS, A Dark Journey, and the last two of the whole series read. I really don't recommend skipping books in a series. XD

However, it's like Outrider said, Starfighters of Adumar and Mercy Kill are stand-alones. So she could stop reading at Isard's Revenge, but frankly if she's reached that point without having grown bored of the series, she should read Starfighters. Seriously, have her Rogue Squadron and see how she likes it. They're more military-driven novels than a lot of others in the franchise, so that's probably going to be playing a high factor in whether she'll want to read the series or not, a little more than Stackpole's prose. 'Cause Allston's books are military-influenced too, only he adds a lot more humour in there (my personal opinon here).

23. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    Tbh I couldn't find the Stackpole books when I first read the series so I started with Allston (and not in order either) and the strong characterisations made up for any confusion entirely. But I'd still recommend reading them in order.

Sent from my X-wing via R2-J6

SnubJockey and Runjedirun like this.
  24. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    The X-wing books were the first series of SW books I actually liked. I think they appeal very much to women. So as long as you don't mind your wife fantasizing about a man in a cock-pit let her read.

25. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000

LOL...my BFF & I secretly have the "Wedge Test," when we're on a first date. If he claims to be a SW fan, but has no idea who the character is, then there usually isn't a 2nd date. (High standards, what can we say?)